What happened to SellCenter / Laris / Redstage? Closed?

Poster
dongle
Kudos: 15
What happened to SellCenter / Laris / Redstage? Closed?
21 Apr 2009
Does anyone know why Sellcenter shut down Laris? Any feedback from Laris customers? What did they tell you? Are you still allowed to continue using the system? What was your experience?

They claimed to have bought out a web consulting firm in Dec. 08, and now their Sellcenter site has been replaced by four sites: www.redstage.com www.redstagesolutions.com and www.redstagecreative.com, and www.larisonline.com (now closed). Their new marketing strategy is so diverse, confusing and impotent, it is virtually impossible to figure out what exactly they do and what they're good at anymore.

It appears that instead of being "eBay experts", eBay has disappeared completely from their marketing. Now their sites are so generic and light on quality content. With their new focus: (SEO, PPC, consulting, design) they could very well pass for a typical generic offshore web consulting firm from the early 2000's.

Furthermore, leaving messages on their "Contact Us" pages is useless as they never respond. I've been reading comments online that other people are also not getting responses to sales inquiries. The CEO's blog (www.ecominsight.com) hasn't been updated in five months.

From first impression, its seems like their Laris software was an unprofitable dud and they dumped it. Also, I'm guessing that Sellcenter/Redstage was a victim of the recent credit crisis.

Any Sellcenter/Redstage customers and Laris customers here to tell us what exactly happened to them?
Supplier
Hoboken, NJ United States
redstage networks
Kudos: 255
Re: What happened to SellCenter / Laris / Redstage? Closed?
1 May 2009
Hi Dongle!

Sorry it has taken us so long to respond to this post. I wanted to see if I could answer some of your questions / concerns!

"Does anyone know why Sellcenter shut down Laris? Any feedback from Laris customers? What did they tell you? Are you still allowed to continue using the system? What was your experience?"

We did not completely shut down the project, but we are suspending sales of it. We actually license this system from another software provider, Kyozou. We provide our own support, services, and add-ons. There a few reasons why we decided to halt sales:
1. We had just taken over AE3Interactive, and undertook large reorganization project. We quickly turned that into our most profitable business unit and had to add more resources to it (including sales and support)
2. Management changed, and so did the overall business model of the company. eBay based services were no longer really aligned with the company's vision.
3. We don't really agree with the direction that Kyozou has for the technology. Our clients have become more demanding for the cutting edge.

As for our customers, all of our existing customers are still fully supported. We simply halted sales.

"They claimed to have bought out a web consulting firm in Dec. 08, and now their Sellcenter site has been replaced by four sites: www.redstage.com www.redstagesolutions.com and www.redstagecreative.com, and www.larisonline.com (now closed). Their new marketing strategy is so diverse, confusing and impotent, it is virtually impossible to figure out what exactly they do and what they're good at anymore. It appears that instead of being "eBay experts", eBay has disappeared completely from their marketing. Now their sites are so generic and light on quality content. With their new focus: (SEO, PPC, consulting, design) they could very well pass for a typical generic offshore web consulting firm from the early 2000's."

Yes, yes, we know... Our web presence has been quite the mess since the merger. We're working on it...just as soon as we can hire more people! Most of our business comes in on referal now, and we're having a difficult time keeping up with all the client projects in progress and the internal projects we're working on. Expect to see some very cool releases from us this quarter!

I do want to mention that we do not outsource any of our work. Well, I take it back, we outsource a few repetitive SEO tasks and some content writing through ODesk. So, we do 99.5% of everything in house.

One of the major moves after the merger was to hire the skill sets that AE3Interactive was using freelancers for. Even though it's a bit more expensive, our experience shows that our ability to meet client deadlines and expectations are drastically increased when we have everyone on the team employed by the company.

"Furthermore, leaving messages on their "Contact Us" pages is useless as they never respond. I've been reading comments online that other people are also not getting responses to sales inquiries. The CEO's blog (www.ecominsight.com) hasn't been updated in five months."

I'm not sure why you were having trouble reaching us. The contact us form actually sends to an email address that's checked by 5 people in the company. Sometimes it's tough weeding through all the spam bot submissions, but our rule is to get back to a contact within 24 hours. I apologize for any problems that caused, and will definitely figure out what happened with that...

As for the CEO's (my) blog, I just got way too busy to keep it up to date on a regular basis. My readers started to drop off because I wasn't blogging every day, and after the merger, I really needed that extra half hour to hour per day for actual work. I don't have any plans yet to pick it up again in the near future, but if you're interested, catch me on twitter at twitter.com/Redstage

(continued...)
Redstage Internet Marketing Solutions
Internet Marketing Strategies | SEO | PPC | Social Media
www.redstagesolutions.com
Supplier
Hoboken, NJ United States
redstage networks
Kudos: 255
Re: What happened to SellCenter / Laris / Redstage? Closed?
1 May 2009
"From first impression, its seems like their Laris software was an unprofitable dud and they dumped it. Also, I'm guessing that Sellcenter/Redstage was a victim of the recent credit crisis."

See above for reasons for halting sales of Laris. It is true, though, that it quickly became less profitable than other operations in the company after the merger. Luckily, though, we haven't fallen to the credit crisis. In fact, February was our best month in our 4 year history!

If there are any other questions I can help answer, feel free to reply here or contact me!
Office phone: 888.335.2747 x220
Email: amorris (at) redstage.com
Twitter: twitter.com/redstage

Again, that you for voicing your concerns!
Redstage Internet Marketing Solutions
Internet Marketing Strategies | SEO | PPC | Social Media
www.redstagesolutions.com

XSellco
Volo
Selro
StoreFeeder