Bringing it altogether

Poster
sunny_boy
Kudos: 155
Bringing it altogether
13 Jun 2009
Hi Everybody

Just returned to ebay after a 4 year layoff.

I am running a setup where I have listed 2700 items in an eBay.co.uk Shop and having them Drop-shipped direct from the manufacturer to the client. My current setup is time wasting and involves double entry of data and I am looking for an easier way. The current setup is:

1. I have copied all the details of the product manufacturers paper catalog into an Access database for easy access

2. When a "You have sold your eBay Item" email appears in the inbox, the Access database generates an invoice (Proforma or paid) and puts it in the outbox. And when the customer pays by PayPal it sends an order to the Manufacturer telling them to send the goods to the customer.

3. I then copy and paste the INCOME and OUTPUT data into my not-so-wonderful old Quicken 2000 UK version Accounting program and this give me an accurate picture of what profits I am making.

Operating the above can be drudgery at times so to live the dream I would like to go to the next step which is having the following:

1. A database of products which supplies:
(a) The eBay Shop
(b) A Web Site

2. An accounting system that receives data from:
(a) The eBay Shop
(b) The Web Site
(c) Is able to handle offline sales
(d) Able to deal with chargebacks etc
(e) produce daily/weekly/monthly/End of Year accounts

I have not yet got started on the website yet but I have looked at ZenCart, Actinic, Magento etc....but whatever choice I make it has to integrate with eBay

Thanks........Sorry if that is a bit wordy.........but I hope it is understandable[
United States United States
Gordie Allen
Kudos: 15
Re: Bringing it altogether
13 Jun 2009
Drop Shipping and Garage Sales stink! Here's how I get good stuff, weekly.
Seniors need cash and they have attics and garages full of collectibles and antiques. You can tap into this market by doing free 30 minute seminars at their churches followed by Antique RoadShow type appraisals. This was my only source of inventory for 4 years.
E-mail me for details. Regards, Gordie Allen
UK United Kingdom
sunny_boy
13 Jun 2009
Hi Gordie Allen

I am not complaining about my turnover as that is quite good, and the deliveries are reliable. It is just controlling it all IINPUTS OUTPUTS etc that I need help with

Thanks anyway, but it is software advice I am looking for

Regards
Supplier
Newcastle upon Tyne United Kingdom
Tradebox
Kudos: 185
15 Jun 2009
Hi Jeffrey

Tradebox Finance Manager is designed to import your orders from eBay, Amazon, websites and create the required financial entries in Sage Instant or Sage 50 Accounts. This will answer all of your needs in point 2. Sage also allows you to establish stock records and gain stock control.

Feel free to give us a ring on 0191 280 4025.

Regards

Stephen
Accounts integration for online retailers
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Jyan
Kudos: 112
18 Jun 2009

Tradebox wrote:

Hi Jeffrey

Tradebox Finance Manager is designed to import your orders from eBay, Amazon, websites and create the required financial entries in Sage Instant or Sage 50 Accounts. This will answer all of your needs in point 2. Sage also allows you to establish stock records and gain stock control.

Feel free to give us a ring on 0191 280 4025.

Regards

Stephen
It doesn't work on Vista Home editions - Tradebox forgot to tell me this on the phone and before I ordered. Be warned!
johndon
Kudos: 175
18 Jun 2009
The system requirements (including the fact that the software is not supported on Vista Home) are published on the Tradebox website: www.tradebox.uk.com/products/finance-manager/system-requirements/

Having said that, we do have a number of customer who have Tradebox working perfectly on Vista Home systems - in this case, we have attempted to diagnose the problem. As a result, the customer has been offered a full refund.

John
Tradebox

[Last edited: 18 Jun 2009]
Jyan
18 Jun 2009

johndon wrote:

The system requirements (including the fact that the software is not supported on Vista Home) are published on the Tradebox website: www.tradebox.uk.com/products/finance-manager/system-requirements/

Having said that, we do have a number of customer who have Tradebox working perfectly on Vista Home systems - in this case, we have attempted to diagnose the problem. As a result, the customer has been offered a full refund.

John
Tradebox
Yes but the salesman didn't check with me at the time of purchase on the phone.

This is the only software that has failed to run on my PC and I run loads being a software developer as well as online merchant. Having software that sometimes works on Vista Home but is not supported is pretty poor IMHO.
johndon
Kudos: 175
18 Jun 2009

Jyan wrote:

This is the only software that has failed to run on my PC and I run loads being a software developer as well as online merchant. Having software that sometimes works on Vista Home but is not supported is pretty poor IMHO.
Believe me, I'd love to be able to work out what the problem is Have you had an opportunity to run the small diagnostic application I sent earlier today?

The reason we do not officially support Tradebox on Vista Home is that eBay's SDK (which is a fundamental part of the Tradebox code) is not officially supported on Vista Home.

As a result of the issue you've had, our sales staff have been made aware of the need to double check the EXACT operating system in use on a client PC.

John

[Last edited: 18 Jun 2009]
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
Kudos: 11,631
22 Jun 2009

jeffrey lewis wrote:

I have not yet got started on the website yet but I have looked at ZenCart, Actinic, Magento etc....but whatever choice I make it has to integrate with eBay
Hi Jeffrey,

Magento is developing very rapidly but the only eBay extension appears to be a checkout. I'm not sure if that would do everything you need. www.magentocommerce.com/extension/reviews/module/478/ebayapi

For osCommerce, there's AuctionBlox eMarketConnect.

Also take a look at order management solutions, which are generally designed to pick up orders from multiple marketplaces and shopping carts and merge them all into one system for shipping, invoicing, accounting etc.

[Last edited: 12 Jul 2012]
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
UK United Kingdom
sunny_boy
22 Jun 2009
Thanks for the reply Guys

I would like to have a look at this when it's ready. It is made by a UK outfit and should work wih eBay UK
www.codepath.co.uk/actinic_plugins.htm

It is to plug in an Actinic web site generator. However I cannot make up my mind about Actinic ...............because it is different from the other website scripts in that it generates a web from a database on your computer rather than the usual feeding from a MySql online database.

Has anyone had any experience of Actinic.
Jyan
25 Jun 2009

johndon wrote:

Jyan wrote:

Believe me, I'd love to be able to work out what the problem is Have you had an opportunity to run the small diagnostic application I sent earlier today?

The reason we do not officially support Tradebox on Vista Home is that eBay's SDK (which is a fundamental part of the Tradebox code) is not officially supported on Vista Home.

As a result of the issue you've had, our sales staff have been made aware of the need to double check the EXACT operating system in use on a client PC.

John
OK fault due to missing font on PC.
Supplier
Linn Systems
Kudos: 157
4 Aug 2009
Linnworks Order Management and Stock control will bring all sales from eBay, Amazon and website (open platform - no matter which site you have, it will work with most, default configs available for osCommerce, ZenCart, Magento, JSHOP) into one system. It has some basic accounting functionality and pretty flexible data analytics (data cubes, rather than flat reports).

Regading your drop-shipping, linnworkscan manage it by producing customized CSV file for specific set of products and can automatically upload them to your drop-shipper if necessary.

You can output the data from Linnworks into csv files and then consume it into Quickbooks or even MS accounts.
Supplier
Newcastle upon Tyne United Kingdom
Tradebox
Kudos: 185
4 Aug 2009

Jyan wrote:

It doesn't work on Vista Home editions
Happy to report that Jyan's install of Finance Manager is now up and running on his Vista Home pc. The difficulties Jyan experienced were due to a missing font on his pc that comes as part of the standard build on all MS operating systems and had unfortunately been removed.

Wanted to take the opportunity to emphasise that Tradebox Finance Manager DOES work on Vista Home as Jyan's comments have misinformed a number of prospective customers.
Accounts integration for online retailers
Supplier
Oxford United Kingdom
saintlypj
Kudos: 35
10 Aug 2009
Hi Jeffrey,

Take a look at our CMS website with automatic eBay listing generator. You only input the data and pics once, unlimited photos, easy interface. Mirrored branding of website in eBay listing, links in and out of eBay to and from your site (legally!).

Would be happy to answer any questions.

www.rapidretailer.co.uk

shaunstanley@powersoftware.co.uk

Seller Dynamics
ReplyManager
Sellware
Ad-Lister