How to protect images?

Poster
Anonymous
Kudos: 155
How to protect images?
12 Sep 2004
I sell on eBay and want to protect my images.

Before I used to put my name across the my images. That was OK but I really want to stop other sellers accessing my image library.

I host my images on Geocities Plus service. I would have liked to limit access to the images folder but it looks difficult. That would actually be the best way.

However I have seen sellers add a JAVA scrpt to disable right-click on the ad itself.

Any advice??
This question was originally received by email and has been edited for the forum
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
Kudos: 11,661
Re: How to protect images?
12 Sep 2004
You could use Javascript to disable right-click which gives you limited protection as the user can still use the browser's "view source" function from the menu, however it may stop someone who is not very determined to take your images. javascript.internet.com/page-details/disable-images-click.html

www.protectyourimages.com is a Java-based protector that seems to be effective. There are other tools available - try searching the web for "image protection" or similar.

Limiting access to your images folder normally requires access to server administration tools which most web hosts do not provide. You might be able to find a server-side script (in a language such as ASP or PHP) which could provide a way around this (e.g. put the images in a private folder that the script serves the images from).

See www.lucidimages.net/copyright.html for some more information.

I hope that helps!

Addendum: www.protectyourimages.com is no longer available. www.copyprotect.com/cp/ is very similar.

[Last edited: 12 Sep 2004]
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
Australia Australia
Lex Graber
Kudos: 35
17 May 2005
How effective are watermarks embeded in the pics at protecting your images? At least you should be able to prove which image is yours if it is stollen, can't you?
Andy
18 May 2005
I think watermarks are effective (and difficult to remove) if they are across a large part of the image. A simple eBay ID in the corner can simply be cropped or blanked out. The only problem is that the more prominent they are the more they get in the way of the image itself.

Having said that, they do address the "print screen" approach, which very easily bypasses all other types of protection if the image thief is prepared to do a little editing work.
United States United States
dthogan
Kudos: 75
10 Jun 2005
I use Picture Shark because it allows me to overlay my copyright logo to multiple files. available at

www.watermark.studigotchi.com/index.htm

I created my own logo with Photo Impact and scaled it to different sizes depending on the picture. I created 4 different sizes as I sell jewelry.

The program allows me to see and example preview beforehand. I just make sure when I take my pictures the item is centered so my logo display over the center of the item. You can choose the level of transparency for your logo with a slider.
Canada Canada
steve01ebay
Kudos: 30
14 Jun 2005
you can use an image editor to place a watermark., could be your logo over a prominent part of the picture you adjust the transparancy to suit ..
BUT a neat trick is to create a second image same size as the one your showing and place it over top . WHAT you say how will they see the item then... well the top image is transparent..... and anyone saving the image will get a transparent gif..
If you always do what you always did....
You always get what you always got
Supplier
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Alien Auction Tools
Kudos: 25
1 Aug 2005
the software from www.alienfiles.net has the option to show a message when somebody tries to copy your images. you can choose to show no message (nothing happens when you right click) or you can type your own message, like 'copyrighted' or 'leave alone'...
guitarfxr
Kudos: 20
11 Oct 2005
steve08ebay,

First of all, I am new here and this sight is really handy.

Can you explain how to use a transparent gif file to protect images.

If you can't, or it is too complicated, can you recomend a site or book which could explian this process?

Thanks a lot.

Doug

[Last edited: 11 Oct 2005]
Andy
11 Oct 2005
Hi guitarfxr, steve's post was a while back so I will answer that for you.

There are (at least) a couple of ways, either using a table or a div. Here are examples and code.

An attempt to copy these images by doing a right-click 'Save Image As' will result in the transparent spacer being saved, rather than the image underneath.

Note that any image protection can be overcome by a determined hacker. They can always turn off JavaScript and look at the HTML or do a screenprint, so I would combine your protection efforts with a watermark - which will be hard work to remove if prominently placed.

PS. I wouldn't use the transparent gif method to show a watermark as the image below can still be stolen. The watermark must be embedded in the image itself.

PPS: eBay Hacks covers image protection to some extent - Hack #75.
guitarfxr
Kudos: 20
11 Oct 2005
Andy,

Thanks a lot, the sites you sent me to are just what the doctor orderd.

I am going to order the Ebay Hacks book as soon as I get a chance.

Thanks again.

Doug
Australia Australia
Pelican
Kudos: 15
31 Jan 2006
Most of the solutions suggested here are merely an annoyance to anyone wanting your image...

If you want to protect the images stored on the server and in cache, consider using encrypted images that are displayed in a security applet. I'm surprised the option is not mentioned here because its been available since 1998.

If you want to further protect images from screen capture and printscreen, that solution is also available.

Of course there are workarounds to these solutions, but they have been the most secure solutions available since 1998 and it doesn't get better... no-one has comparable solutions despite their claims to the contrary.

Banks and online surveys use these solutions because they are the best available!

Want to know more?

See their demo site at www.artistscope.com

[Last edited: 31 Jan 2006]

XSellco
Volo
Selro
StoreFeeder