Run my own auctions - or is there another solution?

Poster
David Andrew
Kudos: 25
Run my own auctions - or is there another solution?
7 Feb 2010
Hi Andy, I'm trying to find a solution to the following problem and I was hoping you might be able to advise me:

I want to hold auctions on a website (which offers advertising placements), but I want to vet the bidders to make sure their products, services and sites fit with my standards i.e. no spammers, scammers, adult images etc.

Initially I had intended to use eBay but I don't think I can choose who to sell to using eBay. The winning bidder is the winning bidder, and I can't subsequently refuse to honour the deal.

I reason that if I run my own auctions I can apply a set of standards and deny anyone who doesn't meet them. Sounds harsh but I want to protect the reputation of my business.

In addition, I want to be the only seller, I don't want anyone else to be able to create an account.

I'd be grateful if you could suggest a solution.

Regards
Dave
United Kingdom United Kingdom
markb
Kudos: 146
Re: Run my own auctions - or is there another solution?
8 Feb 2010
you will need to build a custom auction website then. i know there is some software out there for implemeting auctions onto your website as we were considering doing it.

i struggle to see some of your main requests, as its more about the reputation of the seller rather than the bidder. at the end of the day it doesnt really matter who bids as long as they pay so i wonder why you wouldnt honour bids.

doing this though, you are surely going to massively damage your potential customers & bidders, without ebay i wonder how people will find your auctions?
David Andrew
8 Feb 2010
Hi Mark, Thanks for the reply.

I know I sound standoffish but there's method to my madness.

What I'm effectively going to do is sell advertising space. My primary concern is that the *people being advertised to* - I consider that they are just as much my customers as the advertisers themselves.

People will see the ads on a site I've built and will (hopefully) come because of the site.

What worries me is that people won't come to the site if they see ads from spammers and scammers and people selling magic bullet products and little blue pills.

Likewise advertisers won't want to be on the site if they're sharing space with those people.

Sorry, I'm not trying to sound aloof, and I know I only gave you the barest of information but as I'm not quite ready to go with the project I don't want to give too much away. I hope you understand.

Cheers
Dave
markb
Kudos: 146
8 Feb 2010
ahhh that makes sense now!!!

yeah defiantly sounds like a custom site to me.

you can place adds on these freelancers sites, for people to bid for your work however i dont know of anyone who has used them. might be work placing a add and asking for previous work examples etc
David Andrew
8 Feb 2010
Mark, thanks.

I've started looking at a few options for Auction software. Running my own auction site seems like it might be the answer. Cheers.
Dave
Supplier
United States United States
NullApps
Kudos: 38
10 Feb 2010
Have you considered using Project Wonderful for the ads on your site? It sounds like an interesting concept to me (I've used it as an advertiser) and you can control which people can advertise on your site or ban advertisers who advertise things you don't want. As long as you have good traffic to your site then your adspace should sell itself.

Selro
StoreFeeder
World First
Seller Dynamics