Should this forum have private messaging?

Poster
Andy
Kudos: 11,661
Should this forum have private messaging?
3 Mar 2010
This feature has been requested (or mentioned) a few times, but that doesn't necessarily mean that more people don't want it.

If PM is something you would use, please reply to this thread.
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
Supplier
San Jose United States
AuctionLinc
Kudos: 108
Re: Should this forum have private messaging?
3 Mar 2010
Hi Andy,

I think enabling PMs is a great idea. Many times, we, as service providers get a lot of valuable feedback on this forum and it will help to loop back to the poster directly via PM. In this process, there also might be a need to share user's account info or email to get in touch with them without making it public. So I think it will be great to be able to PM a poster.

Narinder.
AuctionLinc.com
Midlothian, VA United States
Jax Music Supply
Kudos: 2,387
8 Mar 2010
Hi Andy. Generally, I would say it is a good idea. Of course, people have no problem finding us and getting in touch with us if they really want to discuss something. We have had this happen a few times. Peace and Joy, Jax Music Supply
United States United States
Bottom Feeder Emporium
Kudos: 95
8 Mar 2010
I don't know if private messaging is a good idea.
India India
johnn
Kudos: 55
9 Mar 2010
Hi Andy,
I would say that it would be a very good idea for private messaging on this forum.It would be better for personal interaction among the members for sharing and enhancing Knowledge of different niches.
so it would be a good idea according to my personal opinion.
Thanks
with Best regards
Thanks
John
Supplier
Page Mage
Kudos: 248
10 Mar 2010
I think it would definitely be a good idea.
tracker
Kudos: 228
16 Mar 2010
I have actually thought about requesting this - so I am all for it!

Tracker
Comfortplus
Kudos: 70
20 Mar 2010
My opinion:

Yes, I think it is a great idea, as sometimes people want a quick reply and PM wsould be good for that, but it shoudl stay within the confinds of ASR.

ebay coder wrote:
.....there also might be a need to share user's account info or email to get in touch with them without making it public......

Oh NO! That would be a horible idea, in my opinion.
That opens the door for all sorts of spam and harrasement.. Some people have nothing better to do, and others would go to all lengths to get their sick ideas accross to people who are least interested. Do you have any idea how much spam junk already received in emails?

Yes it's a good idea, but it should be kept within this system, and only use the 'Posted by" tags here. Would'nt the communication be slowed down?
Thanks.
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
Kudos: 11,661
2 Apr 2010
Hello all, thank you for your feedback.

Private messaging has been added to the forum. To send a PM click on a member's name to view their profile then click "Send PM".

To view existing PMs click "PM" at the top left of any page, between the links "Profile" and "Logout".

To help prevent spam and other abuse the following limits and rules are in place:

Limits: Within a 24 hour period you may initiate a maximum of five private messages, and only one to a single individual. Replies are unlimited.

Rules: Normal forum rules apply. Messages can be viewed by moderators. Abusers will have their messages deleted and membership cancelled.

If you do not wish to receive private messages, go to your profile page and uncheck "Accept private messages" then click "Save All". You will still be able to send PMs and receive replies to PMs you initiate even if you do not accept new PMs.

Let me know what you think to it!
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
Comfortplus
Kudos: 70
2 Apr 2010
Excellent Andy,

Thank you for setting up the PM. You did a pretty good job of it.

I guess my personal opinions were taken into consideration in designing it, and you covered all those areas that abusers tend to go to first.

Very good job!

Wish you all the best.
Very proud of you.
Supplier
San Jose United States
AuctionLinc
Kudos: 108
4 Apr 2010
Andy,

This is a great news and will really help a lot. As I already mentioned, our goal is to get in touch with the users who provide us valuable feedback on our service offering. With all the rules you have put in place, it takes care of the spam concern that various users raised.

Thanks again.
Narinder.
AuctionLinc.com

ReplyManager
Sellware
Ad-Lister
Xpress Lister