What do powersellers know that I do not?!

Poster
davidg
Kudos: 30
What do powersellers know that I do not?!
23 Apr 2010
There's got to be some way to find the answers I'm looking for. I know people make money on ebay, but what do they know that I do not. I don't mind paying for the information, but I don't want to get ripped off. Has anyone heard of ebayextreme5 dot com? Is this real or am I going to get ripped off? Please Help!
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
Kudos: 11,616
Re: What do powersellers know that I do not?!
23 Apr 2010
There's a lot involved in successful selling on eBay, not least what to buy and where to get it at a reasonable price.

Most of the knowledge and skills need to be learnt while you are selling - slowly at first - you can't simply read it and apply it like studying for an exam.

I can't comment on eBay Extreme, but if you go looking for a quick fix to making money on eBay you are very unlikely to succeed.

Hope that helps!
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
Midlothian, VA United States
Jax Music Supply
Kudos: 2,361
23 Apr 2010
Becoming an eBay powerseller is no secret (we are). It is hard work and good customer service. You have to know your markets and customers, have good products. You also have to be good at general business to sustain it.

All this being said, it can still take a long time to succeed. I started my business 3 years ago. I still work a day job but have 1 full time employee and are continuing to expand slowly.

The barriers to entry on eBay's part are also increasing. If you do not have good systems in place and cannot provide top service, you cannot compete. The fees are simply too high for non-power sellers. Additionally, eBay does not seem to want the hobby level people selling fixed price/new products. People who are cleaning out garages and sourcing a variety of products (no steady inventory) are basically pushed in to the auction area while pro sellers are encouraged to use fixed price - very similar to the Amazon model.

Good Luck.
Midlothian, VA United States
Jax Music Supply
Kudos: 2,361
23 Apr 2010
Looking at the site you mentioned, I think you would be better off and getting something like Ebay For Dummies or Starting an Online Business for Dummies rather than putting bucks in what appear to be on the low side of a scheme.
United States United States
davidg
24 Apr 2010
I'm not exactly an ebay newbie. I have been selling for almost 8 years, but not nearly at the level I would like. I have the book Titanium ebay by Skip McGrath, and there was great info in there. I just felt like it was missing something. It seemed like he was teaching more theory than a tangible process to be successful. I'm going to try this ebayextreme5 dot com, its not expensive and I figure worst case scenario I will learn something new that could help me in the future. I'll then let you know how it goes. Thanks a lot for the quick reply though, I really do appreciate it!
davidg
1 May 2010
Ok, as I said before, I was going to check this thing out and then let you all know. First off, the website just forwards you to actionsformysuccess.com. Anyway, after I paid, I received a download link and then download the file. It gave me access to a lot of info. Some of it I heard before, but most of it was new and fresh to me which helped me spark up other ideas. I knew it was definitely worth it because after the download, the first thing I saw was, how to remove negative feedback without paying a penny and having ebay do it for you. Well I tried it and it worked! It sounds crazy, and that's why I didn't want to post anything here until I saw the negative feedback removed from my account. I've only read about 10% of the info in the last week, and for me personally, it was worth it!
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
Kudos: 11,616
2 May 2010
Negative feedback can be changed using a Feedback revision request. This is a standard eBay feature.

davidg, are you connected with the website you are talking about?
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
davidg
2 May 2010
No, I am not connected. I'm just trying to get some answers and feedback. If I've been a bother I apologize and I will not post anymore questions in this forum.

2nd Office
ChannelAdvisor
XSellco
Volo