Desktop Bidder does not synch with ebay watch list

Poster
BlindBidder
Kudos: 40
Desktop Bidder does not synch with ebay watch list
22 Jul 2010
Hi,

When Desktop Bidder starts up it says "Importing Watch list from ebay". Yet it does not seem to do this. In Ebay my watch list has 2 active items - one is imported but the other isnt. That's one glitch. Another is that in Desktop bidder I have 1 item on the watch list that is not in eBay. Shouldn't the watch lists be synched up?

Thanks,

Adrian
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
Kudos: 9,304
Re: Desktop Bidder does not synch with ebay watch list
22 Jul 2010
Hi Adrian,

Which Desktop Bidder is that? Is it Prospector, Ace Sniper or something else?
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
United Kingdom United Kingdom
BlindBidder
22 Jul 2010
The program is called "Desktop Bidder" and it is from Ace Snipper.
Supplier
United States United States
Bay Prospector
Kudos: 45
22 Jul 2010
Hi Adrian,

We posted an announcement about this on the startup page. It affects only the non-US sites. eBay made a breaking change that makes signin different between the US and non-US sites and we're waiting to see if eBay will propagate the change. We posted a workaround that you can use in the meantime.

In any case, it may be easier to use Desktop Bidder’s watch list and skip My eBay’s watch list entirely. You just need to check the Watch checkbox when you’re viewing an eBay listing and you won’t need the extra step of importing.

Ace Sniper
BlindBidder
22 Jul 2010
Thanks for the quick reply.

I did actually read the announcement text that appears whenever you start up, but perhaps it is a little misleading. It starts off like this:
"eBay made a breaking change that affected importing of watched items from My eBay. This has been fixed with v3.2...."
As soon as I read this I checked to see if I was on v3.2 and seeing that I was assumed the text did not apply to me. Looking at it again now it seems that there are actually two announcements rather than one announcement with various paragraphs, which is what I thought.

While I have your ear, there seems to be a bug:
i. Click any menu header, except the Favorites menu header
(The menu opens.)
ii. Instead of selecting a menu item move the cursor above the Favorites menu header, but do not click it.
RESULT: The Favorites list opens up even though you have not clicked it. This can be quite annoying.

And an enhancement suggestion:
In eBay, when you bid on an item that you are not already watching it does not seem possible to add this to the watch list. (This is an eBay deficiency). This means that it does not get imported by Desktop Bidder. It would be good if the program could import such items too.

Thanks,

Adrian
Supplier
Bay Prospector
22 Jul 2010
Hi Adrian,

Regarding what you describe with the menus, unless I'm misunderstanding what you wrote, that's the way all Windows programs behave - if you open a menu and not make a selection, the menu will stay open. If you then move your mouse over another top-level menu item, that menu will open.

For the watch list, we've tried to be as removed from eBay as possible. The more we tie into lists and things on their site to import, the more dependent and brittle the program becomes. eBay makes changes with disregard as to whether or not their changes break 3rd party programs. Where possible, we've chosen the path of stability, so we again encourage the use of the program's watch list.

Ace Sniper
BlindBidder
22 Jul 2010
A large part of my job involves software usability testing and what I am seeing (on XP Pro SP3) is not at all normal behavior. You normally need to left click a menu heading for the menu to open up, not just move the cursor over it.

Adrian
BlindBidder
22 Jul 2010
Sorry, I just realized that I did not describe this properly. It happens after opening another menu then moving the cursor to an empty part of the screen (so that the menu closes) before moving back over the Favorites menu.
BlindBidder
22 Jul 2010
In Task Manager it showed I had two instances of the program running. When I kill them and start again the program works fine. Sorry
Supplier
Bay Prospector
22 Jul 2010
Hi Adrian,

The program doesn't do anything special with the Favorites menu. Can you check how it behaves with another program like IE or Outlook? On my system, any top-level menu that is open will close if the mouse is hovered (with no click) over another top-level menu.

Regards,
Ace Sniper
Supplier
Bay Prospector
22 Jul 2010
Hi Adrian,
No worries. We can take this offline and we can be reached at support@aceSniper.com.

Regards,
Ace Sniper