International posting

Poster
buddhafinder
Kudos: 143
International posting
7 Oct 2004
Great site!! I hope that many users will be coming here. There is not another good forum on the web I can find. Only on listing sites, which generally forbid threads about competitors.

There are two features for a listing service I would like, and it is difficult to find answers.

1. I would like to post internationally on eBay, especially on the German, UK and Australian sites. Does anyone know which listing tools support that?

2. It's hard to tell which listing services basically use eBay scheduled listings at 10 cents per listing (AuctionSage does this, I believe). I don't want to pay for a lister and pay eBay, too. Otherwise, I could just use Turbo Lister for free.

3. Finally, which services have had a history of delayed listings or trouble at busy times? ChannelAdvisor and Vendio used to have problems, which are almost completely fixed. Only free listing days overwhelm their servers, or maybe it's eBay that's overloaded.

My history:

I'm currently with Channeladvisor, and am considering alternatives. They've been a great service, for the most part.

I've used Vendio before, and don't like the expense or the attitude of the support staff. That may have improved somewhat since I was there, but still, it was a rough place to get support.

I'll write some reviews soon.

Thanks!
Steve
www.alloneworld.com
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
Kudos: 11,618
Re: International posting
7 Oct 2004
Hi Steve, those are good questions and I have looked into number 1. The following are listed on here as supporting UK, AU, and DE:

Desktop:
All My Auctions for Sellers
SpoonFeeder
AuctionTamer
Turbo Lister

Web based:
ChannelAdvisor

Selling Manager Pro and Andale also claim to support these countries though perhaps not in the same version of the program / site.
[i]
Can anyone enlighten further on that or the other questions?[/i]
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
United States United States
buddhafinder
8 Oct 2004
I just checked ChannelAdvisor boards, and found this:

ca staff wrote:

8/10/2004 4:27:43 PM
ChannelAdvisor Pro does not support any eBay sites other than the U.S. site.

ChannelAdvisor Merchant supports some of the international sites, such as UK, Germany, Canada, and Australia.
"Merchant" is a very expensive, large corporation-oriented service. The only way they support other sites is if you pick "will ship to ..." in the ad, which causes the posting to show on the international sites.

I'll check on the others, though! SpoonFeeder looks like a good possibility.

Steve
www.alloneworld.com
Andy
8 Oct 2004

buddhafinder wrote:

The only way they support other sites is if you pick "will ship to ..." in the ad, which causes the posting to show on the international sites.
That's an important distinction and one that is sometimes skirted around by developers: eBay is an international system, so a listing on one eBay site has the potential to turn up on every other eBay site, but that might only be from using the advanced search. There is much more to properly supporting a country than just being able to view the listing on other sites - categories, shipping and payment, currency and so on all differ.

Just had a hunt for truly free scheduling and you seem to get that with SpoonFeeder, there are others that offer scheduling but they don't support all the countries you need (list here).

buddhafinder wrote:

Finally, which services have had a history of delayed listings or trouble at busy times?
I don't know the answer to that, but I can say that all hosted services have the potential for those kind of problems as listing will always need to go through their servers. It's an advantage of desktop tools that the performance of the service is much more under your own control.
United States United States
buddhafinder
9 Oct 2004
Hey, that's a nice search engine! inkFrog says it lists to ebay.ca, ebay.au and ebay.co.uk "and more ..." But it seems to stop there.

I speak (and write) enough german to list on ebay.de, and think that would hit a different group than the english-only sites. I notice that listings from other English speaking countries come up on my basic searches here in the US. But, I don't get listings in any other languages or currencies than Canada, UK and Australia. I think you're right, they may come on up advanced search.

Steve
Tibetan Treasures
Andy
10 Oct 2004
Supporting a country is a big deal so developers normally give it a mention in their sales blurb (they would be crazy not to). I take the approach that if they don't mention it then they don't support it.

I recently read that eBay Germany is the biggest market after the US, so it should be good for business to appear in basic searches on eBay.de.

I think it is important to know the defaults for basic searches (e.g. from the search box on the home page). Different eBay sites have different defaults for basic search, which I think are the same as the default options on the country's advanced search page (I hope this is making sense!):

• eBay.com.au: default is "located in Australia"
  • eBay.com: default is "All items listed on eBay.com" (not sure what that means)
  • eBay.co.uk: default is "located in UK"
  • eBay.de: default is "Alle eingestellten Artikel bei eBay Deutschland" which I think is "All items listed on eBay.de"

• Although these seem to be the defaults, I know on eBay.co.uk you see items that are not located in the UK, but available to the UK, if there are few or zero results for located in. In other words, preference is given to items located in the country over items available to the country.

A lot of that is conjecture , but it seems to be borne out in my testing.

[Last edited: 20 Sep 2007]

Xpress Lister
    2nd Office
    ChannelAdvisor
    XSellco