Accounting Software????

Poster
Family Inc
Kudos: 80
Accounting Software????
31 Mar 2011
Hello everyone,

My name is Tami and I have recently started an Ebay business/store due to my lack of being physically able to work 9 months ago. This is allowing to make some money and help with the huge doctor bills. It has taken off far more than I could have ever imagined it would. I must admit I am blessed with some success in this endeavor.

So any who I am a former brick and mortar store owner and I am looking for software that allows me to list over 2000 different items at a time and not allow for restock. Also to keep that data for the calendar year I set up. My husband still runs his auction service sales and I tend to get fall off from that or some of his items that have sat to long and need a broader audience. Plus I send him out with the extra money to buy things that would best be suited for Ebay sales. Buying store closeouts and so forth. Things or items I would not be able to restock.

So I have looked and unfortunately bought way to many bad programs that are out on the market claiming to be exactly what an Ebay store owner would need. Now I do not want to spend tons of money on a system, but would spend a little more to get what I feel I needed. My goal is to see where I can cut back, keep track of repeat customers, get a accurate detailed profit statement, and not be a web based program. Now I can enter in the data or have it link to Ebay or PayPal, but I want the program to be on the computer. I am not a fan of web based software, I guess I am still from the old school and need a more hands on approach to things.

Now I have read and read about tons of different programs and I have tried the Selling Manger Pro at Ebay and I am afraid that does not work for me. I need a simple accountants style program, with a few tweaks for use with Ebay. I am trying out Microsoft Office Accounting 2009 and it seems to be better suited to what I need, but still needs a few tweaks to make it functional to my needs. I would dearly love to be able to do a point of sale from it, set it allow for free shipping, but record the amount of expense I spend on packaging, keep track of all customers and maybe find a pattern in that, most defiantly I need a profit sales report, No employees, no payroll, none of that stuff for now, if it could link to PayPal as my bank account that would be great, link to Ebay would be perfect, have an easy inventory system with a simple way of adding SKU#'s, no quotes, no credit card processing, receive the payments at the time of the sale not have to do that later, have simple accounts payable and receivable, just a basic program with simple needs for Ebay. Not a spread sheet, a real honest to goodness accounting program. Not designed in the basement of someone's home for their needs. No list a mile long of accounts you want the money tied to, just a basic program.

I recently heard of this site thru a friend who claims that the people here are the best and offer helpful advice. A true play it forward type atmosphere. That is the motto I live my life by and my friend seems to believe that this place is the perfect fit for me. So I pray that someone out there can help me get started in the right direction. Does anyone know of this type of program? Keep in mind I am NOT computer savoy at all. I know the basics and am learning something new each and every day.

I thank you ever so much for time and consideration into this matter. You have no idea or maybe you too were in this boat, but either way it means the world to me that you would take time to help another person out.
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
Kudos: 11,626
Re: Accounting Software????
31 Mar 2011
Hi Tami, thanks for posting

There are a number of accounting tools for eBay sellers - they normally export data from eBay and/or PayPal into your accounting package.

Quickbooks is more supported than MS Office, so it might be easier to change to that if possible.

I doubt that you will get a full inventory system built into an accounting system though - you might have to go with a more typical auction management tool for that.

[Last edited: 12 Jul 2012]
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
United States United States
Family Inc
31 Mar 2011
Thanks ever so much for the advice. I will have to look into that type of software and see if it works for me. I really do appreciate your time. It means alot.
Midlothian, VA United States
Jax Music Supply
Kudos: 2,372
2 Apr 2011
I have found most of the accounting "integration" between QB and selling channels to be pretty useless. We ended up using Excel to import into QB.
United States United States
Family Inc
2 Apr 2011
Quick Books seems like the most popular way to go so I will take a deeper look into it. I can not thank you guys enough. Taking time out to help another is the best way to tell who a person really is. Thanks again.

XSellco
Volo
Selro
StoreFeeder