Using an iPhone, Android, or WP8 App on my own website

Poster
sunny_boy
Kudos: 155
Using an iPhone, Android, or WP8 App on my own website
8 Apr 2013
Hi

Are there any of the shopping cart manufacturers that supply an App for using an iPhone, Android, or WP8 App on my own website, so that customers could access our website from an the smartphones.

There are Apps the public can download for eBay and Amazon and I'm looking for something to work with our own website.

We currently use Blue Park but we would be willing to change
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
Kudos: 11,664
Re: Using an iPhone, Android, or WP8 App on my own website
9 Apr 2013
Hi there,

The trend is away from device-specific apps for ecommerce, and more towards responsive design so mobile shoppers can use the same website as desktop shoppers. Is there a particular reason you were thinking of a downloadable app or is it just to make your site usable on mobile devices?
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
UK United Kingdom
sunny_boy
11 Apr 2013
Hi Andy

Thanks for the reply.

I agree when it comes to tablets Buyers can use the same desktop website

But I was thinking of people using a specific App that they download to their phone that is uniquely tied to my website and stock and optimized for a small screen.

The App and website that I am impressed by is the Auto Trader one
www.windowsphone.com/en-gb/sto...35-bc57-4234-961d-d2686fa4b72c

Excellent
Andy
11 Apr 2013
The downside of developing native phone apps is cost and that users have to download it.

Responsive design means you can optimize your website for small screens without having to build apps - the site dynamically adapts itself to different screen sizes by resizing elements on the page.

You can see this on www.currys.co.uk - try resizing your browser window horizontally and you will see that images resize and page elements change position to fit the smaller window, the same thing happens automatically on a phone.

Auto Trader will have a pretty big IT budget - apps for all the different platforms will probably cost tens of thousands.

Incidentally I went to a talk on mobile development given by the guy who used to be the CIO at Auto Trader. See the slides here: www.meetup.com/London-Scrum-User-Group/events/95957532/

[Last edited: 11 Apr 2013]
UK United Kingdom
sunny_boy
14 Apr 2013
Thanks Andy

I checked out the Currys Site and that has introduced me to a whole new line of thought.

A mobile-optimized website offers a pretty compelling alternative to apps – and at a much cheaper price. A question though:

How would the user “download” a bookmark to their smartphone home screen that links directly to my mobile website? without going through the iPhone Store, the Google Store Etc.?

Best Regards
Andy
14 Apr 2013
Adding a bookmark to your home screen is built into Android, not sure about iOS but would guess you can do it there too.

So they wouldn't exactly "download" it but can achieve the same effect.
UK United Kingdom
sunny_boy
14 Apr 2013
Thanks for all the help Andy

Sellware
Ad-Lister
Xpress Lister
2nd Office