Selling tools - PC or web based?

Poster
Jax Music Supply
Kudos: 2,372
Selling tools - PC or web based?
11 Mar 2014
As sellers, do you all prefer a web based (browser) interface or like having a program running on your PC? I have used both and find either one acceptable, although web based interfaces sometimes seem slow. How about mobile? The tools I'm thinking of are related to inventory and listing activities. Looking forward to your response! Jack

[Last edited by moderator: Fixed title — 11 Mar 2014]
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
Kudos: 11,631
Re: Selling tools - PC or web based?
24 Mar 2014
Hi Jack,

Just as an aside, I wrote about choosing software for AuctionBytes ten years ago (not sure where all that time has gone!). One of the factors I talked about then was hosted versus PC:

www.ecommercebytes.com/cab/abu/y204/m05/abu0119/s02

A lot has changed over the years. Technology and internet access speeds have moved on a huge amount. There used to be many suppliers of PC-based marketplace management software, now they are in the minority. Personally, I think web-based software is very good now - responsiveness is good and APIs can provide integration to other systems (including your own). Of course, there's still good and bad examples.

It is possible to search the directory for Windows (or Mac etc) compatible software, for example here are marketplace management tools for Windows.
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
kop
United States United States
kop
Kudos: 34
24 Mar 2014
I used to prefer PC based solutions such as Blackthorne (and before that when it was called Seller's Assistant). But in the meantime I like webbased solutions, for their use anywhere capability and letting someone else maintain the nuts and bolts. Many are slow but it doesn't have to be.

The only thing a lot lack is bulk editing (or via CSV files which depending on implementation can be flaky) and bulk upload of pics.

But it's all up to the online program.
Supplier
New York, NY United States
SureDone
Kudos: 123
30 Mar 2014
Jack - Take a look at SureDone, if you decide to try a web-based multi channel tool.

Kop - The bulk uploader works via CSV template and handles 150,000 products per upload with a zip folder for images.

Andy - To your point, we have a very flexible platform mainly because of our API. It can facilitate so many custom integrations especially when you start working with automating drop shipping

- Yelena from SureDone (www.suredone.com)

[Last edited: 30 Mar 2014]
Supplier
United States United States
tiana.byers
Kudos: 70
3 Jun 2014
Hey There,

I work for Ecomdash, a multichannel inventory management tool. When we first got started, we opted to be cloud-based for a several reasons. It allows us to automatically provide software updates without downloading/uploading, it allowed us to provide a greater level of security, you don't have to upgrade your systems for compatibility - or buy any new hardware or software to maintain, and sellers like the freedom of being able to access their inventory/sales orders/listings from any device - anywhere at anytime. Especially with the trend towards mobile, we’re happy that we chose to live in the cloud, because now our customers can access our tool from their phones and tablets. We even had a customer run his business in just 10 minutes a day from his vacation in the Dominican Republic. He also told us he couldn't believe how fast his 600 sales orders imported from the marketplaces that first day he was in the DR. That was a very nice confirmation that we made the right choice in creating a cloud software. Not that desktop software isn't the right solution for some – we just wanted to make it accessible for how most sellers wanted to use it.

Tiana with ecomdash
Nottingham United Kingdom
Bigian13
Kudos: 2,254
26 Jun 2014
Web (cloud) based works for us as I can keep an eye on sales / productivity from home or on holiday. That is so sad !!!

It also allows a greater degree of flexibility in our warehouse / dispatch / office platforms.
E-commerce , love it or hate it, that's why we are here
Supplier
Manila Philippines
2nd Office
Kudos: 550
26 Jun 2014
I'm a fan of having both PC based and web based. For example, we use a desktop based software to edit and add products to Magento, but if needed we can also edit via the web (much slower)

Why PC based? Because it's so much faster!
eCommerce Staffing Solutions. Expand your team with us, so your current team can focus on innovation and save up to 70% off labor costs www.2ndoffice.co
Supplier
San Jose United States
AuctionLinc
Kudos: 108
27 Jun 2014
Web based apps are hands down winner. We will see the trend shifting more towards mobile apps more and more. I am actually surprised there aren't many ebay tools vendors with mobile apps. I would imagine a mobile app would be the best way to deal with your day to day shipping, reply management and analytics needs.
AuctionLinc.com
Midlothian, VA United States
Jax Music Supply
Kudos: 2,372
28 Jun 2014
Mobile apps coming this fall from a new venture I'm working on. More to come.

Xpress Lister
2nd Office
ChannelAdvisor
XSellco