Basic help needed for auction management

Poster
Cindyms
Kudos: 20
Basic help needed for auction management
1 Sep 2005
I am very, very new to selling on ebay. I have purchased before but have only listed one item about 2 years ago. My husband and I have an immediate need to list and sell some items seriously. We have no income at this time. I recently purchased the Auctions for Income package that was advertised on TV. Thought I might be able to do this but finding parts of it very overwhelming. I want to do this right the first time as I know my creditability to potential buyers is nothing I want to fool around with. I understand how important an auction management service can be but honestly don't know if I can sacrifice the time to know which ones are best as the list of them is HUGE! Auctions for Income suggest the Vendio services but I am a bit leery thinking that Vendio and Auctions for Income may be connected for their benefit. Can you please direct me to a handful of services that would be worth taking a look at? Also whether a web based or software service would be better for my immediate startup. Something else I am battling up against is a very, very slow dialup connection speed. Hight speed is not available in our area and satelite is out of the question for now so I am working with very low speeds. I would appreciate your help more than you know.

Sincerely,

Cindy Simmons
United States United States
Jenny4
Kudos: 90
Re: Basic help needed for auction management
4 Sep 2005
Shooting Star from www.foodogsoftware.com is awesome. It's a one time fee of $49, great customer support and it resides on your computer. Best $49 bucks I ever spent. Great, helpful forum as well! Good luck!

[Last edited: 4 Sep 2005]
Jenny4
Kudos: 90
4 Sep 2005
Oops - I forgot to mention that this is for management purposes, not listing (but you'll need that anyway). I think it's better to have 2 services, but YMMV.

I'm looking for a good listing program (and financially reasonable) as well. One NOT to use is Spare Dollar. It's cheap and doesn't work. Wish I could be of more help. I've heard good things about SpoonFeeder and you get a free trial perod as wel. Take care!
Cindyms
4 Sep 2005
Thanks so much for your reply! I will certainly check it out and it is good to know which ones to stay away from. Could you please just elaborate a little bit as to why two services would be better than getting it all from one? Like I said, so much of this is foreign to me. I appreciate your time!

Cindy Simmons
Brendan
Kudos: 55
14 Sep 2005
Cindy,

Even though we sell desktop software for managing and listing auctions on eBay (MarketBlast), I will say if you are on a dial up connection, your best option is a web based service IMHO

Brendan
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
Kudos: 11,603
21 Sep 2005
Brendan, my opinion is that users on dial-up are better off with desktop applications so they don't have to wait for every page to load and can compose listings offline.

Perhaps I'm missing something - I'd be interested to know why you see it differently?
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
Brendan
Kudos: 55
21 Sep 2005
Andy,

There is the possibility of creating listings offline with products such as MarketBlast but I would be worried about the synchronization process. All the listing data has to be sent over the phone line each time. However if you have a very good online service which supports profiles, very little has to be sent across the phone line once you have everything set up. (It probably will cost a fair penny though). If Cindy had a broadband connection, there would of course be no issues but with a slow phone line....

It sounds like I'm arguing against our own product (MarketBlast) but I do think it is important for people to choose the best product for their particular circumstances.

Brendan
US United States
greenlight
1 Oct 2005
I few months ago I decided to leave the corporate world and focus on e-commerce web solutions. I have a background managing corporate web sites and making them effective relative to lead and revenue generation. Although I am not focused currently getting my customer's products on auction sites, I'm wondering if I should do this? I'm not referring to consignment, but products from small businesses, that either don't have the time or the resources to post the products, manage them ect., on the many auction sites that are now available.

This might sound like a stupid question, so please bare with me, but are there businesses that call on businesses to take their products and sell on auction sites? If so, have they been successful? What kinds of products do well? Price points? Any white papers or articles about this? Just curious.

Lastly, if this is a viable business model to get into, where would you recommend I start relative to learning what I need to do, etc.

Thanks so much.

Jennifer

ChannelAdvisor
XSellco
Volo
Selro