What's the craziest reason you've been given for a return?

Poster
Andy
Kudos: 11,619
What's the craziest reason you've been given for a return?
7 May 2014
If you sell online, you need to handle returns. It's a fact of life. Most of the time it's a civilized process, but occasionally you come across a buyer who seems to have lost their marbles.

So what's the craziest - most unreasonable, outlandish or amusing - reason you've ever been given for a return?

I'll kick it off... I haven't sold for a long while but when I did I sold a lot of CDs of white noise for calming babies. This was a few years before I had children of my own, but I now know it can be quite effective. At the time I was happy and a little surprised to get feedback comments like:

I also got returns - maybe 1% to 2% of sales - and dealt with them as quickly and calmly as possible. But one day a return request landed in my inbox with this reason:

Crazy buyer wrote:

My daughter bought this for my grandson and I put it on, but it's just one horrible loud noise!
Ummm, yes. I replied with my normal calm return instructions but couldn't resist addressing her comment:

I wrote:

It's supposed to be noise, it's a CD of white noise. And if you find it too loud, try turning the volume down on your CD player.
Thankfully that didn't enrage her further, and there was no negative feedback.

That's the craziest reason I've ever had for a return. What's yours?

[Last edited: 7 May 2014]
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
United States United States
blastoff
Kudos: 26
Re: What's the craziest reason you've been given for a retur
10 May 2014
Nothing in particular stands out. But I can tell you something in your post that stands out. The word "grandson". Seniors are the worst buyers to deal with. Somewhere along the the aging timeline humans (not all of course) become difficult to put it mildly. From experience I can spot them a mile away, but since I know what I'm dealing with I just cut my losses and let it go. I'm always polite...but I can be tempted into taking a little sarcastic jab once in a while just for fun.

[Last edited: 10 May 2014]
Supplier
Australia Australia
neil502
Kudos: 34
11 May 2014
We just had one yesterday where customers says the item was "bigger
than it looked in the photos"! The crazy thing is the dimensions are
shown in the photos??????
Neil Waterhouse
Author - "Million Dollar eBay Business From Home - A Step By Step Guide"
www.neilwaterhouse.com
London United Kingdom
Easiliving
Kudos: 36
12 May 2014
We once had a customer return an eye patch because the kids thought they were being invaded by pirates and got scared!

[Last edited: 12 May 2014]
julia530
Kudos: 29
14 May 2014
Returning things or hesitating buying things because of the wrong size is not crazy at all. I promote a few services that deal directly with the buyer being able to find/see the exact size of the item they want to buy, and this also reduces time and money that web retailers spend on returns and/or resizing.

One is FindMyRingSize.com which lets jewelry customers find their exact size before ordering their ring on or off line.

The other is yRuler.com which gives users an actual size demo of the product they are trying to view.

Since I'm new here and don't want to get accused of spamming, I'd be happy to provide more information offline.
Julia Crocus
Community Manager
findmyringsize.com
getruler.com
DPaste
Kudos: 21
20 May 2014
I don't really have a crazy return reason but I did have a package returned because there were "Missing parts" which is great because the package came back still factory sealed!
Nottingham United Kingdom
Bigian13
Kudos: 2,251
21 Jun 2014
The most recent outstanding return requests, not all crazy, but all true.

"Package contents cut by a knife" was the reason for the return.
When asked if the item had been delivered in that state we were informed "No but we tried to open it with a stanley knife and cut too deep" Item was supplied in a mailing bag, try ripping it !!!

"The duvet set was beautiful but I thought the cream colour would be white"

"My delivery was received quicker than expected and I was not ready for it" - Duvet set measuring 38 cm x 28 cm x 5 cm delivered RM 2nd class

" I ordered the wrong duvet cover as I could not remember if it was Arsenal or Liverpool my grandson liked. they both play in red"

"The dimensions stated in your listing do not coincide with the dimensions I wanted"

"I no longer want this item as ebay have said that I need to leave feedback for it and I do not want junk mail from you"

"ebay have asked me to leave feedback but as I have not used it yet I can not do that so am returning it"

" I bought this for £14.99 a few weeks ago but now they are on sale for £14.87" - Amazon buyer

"Your website says that you will refund the full purchase price for my goods within 30 days so I am testing this"

"Your listing says these candles should burn for 16 hours this one burned for 15 and a half so I am returning for a full refund" - think about it !!

"I know I ordered red but if I had wanted it I would have ordered it. I ordered blue." - excuse me !

"The parts not mentioned in the listing are missing" - !!!!!!

"Since ordering I have changed my colour scheme so it does not match" - Item received two days after ordering.

"I did not order this, my wife did so she can sign for it but she is out" - Item returned by courier as no one would sign.
E-commerce , love it or hate it, that's why we are here
Bigian13
26 Jun 2014
New one received today, and this is probably the best ever: " Thank you for the towels that were delivered to our alternate address as requested. Unfortunately we will be returning them when we return from our break as they say "wash before first use" and we were expecting to be able to use the straight away"

Once again, unbelievable !
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
26 Jun 2014

Bigian13 wrote:

New one received today, and this is probably the best ever: " Thank you for the towels that were delivered to our alternate address as requested. Unfortunately we will be returning them when we return from our break as they say "wash before first use" and we were expecting to be able to use the straight away"

Once again, unbelievable !
Love it

I think some people just like returning stuff. I see it as a personal failure and a big waste of time if I have to return something, for some people it's an everyday thing.

And for anyone who doesn't know - ALL towels say "wash before first use". And any that don't, should!

[Last edited: 26 Jun 2014]
Shenzen China Australia
Tim298
Kudos: 446
26 Jun 2014
Haha, enjoying reading these responses -
For me selling garments - a gentleman purchased womens T shirts and was "disgusted that they did not fit him at all"

In general I find people are sometimes just worried when buying online, maybe from previous poor experiences - discussion and knowing that a real person is there and cares to answer their query is usually enough to resolve most things that are resolvable.
Bigian13
25 Jul 2014
Not a crazy reason, just a crazy return !

Customer in Australia purchased a duvet set on the Monday, and the matching curtains on the Tuesday. Both items were dispatched same day as ordered so no chance of combining the orders.

Customer received both items five days later and then contacted us to say that she had changed her mind and could she have her money back. We replied with the standard "No problem at all, just send the item(s) back to us and we will issue a full refund of your purchase price".

Ten days later a parcel arrives at our office. Inside the parcel were the two items ordered along with a note saying "Could you please refund me as soon as possible as it cost me a fortune to return the parcel".

It cost our customer 86 AUD to return the parcel, which only cost her 56 AUD, including delivery, in the first place !! Where is the logic in that ?
Bigian13
25 Jul 2014
Again, not a crazy reason but a return that shows that some buyers do not fully understand the concept of buying from Amazon.

Parcel returned to us this week containing a fuchsia fitted sheet and fuchsia pillow case. Not from a brand that we deal with, and not purchased from us. Amazon generated returns note was for a fuchsia duvet set that we do sell, and was purchased by the customer from us.

We contacted the customer via Amazon:

"Thank you for your return, however the items returned to us are not what you actually purchased from us. We will happily refund your purchase once the correct items are returned. With regard to the items that you have returned to us, what would you like us to do ? We can destroy the items at no cost, or forward them on to the Amazon seller that you originally purchased these items from. This would require you to provide us with the correct Amazon returns number as well as an additional cost of £2.25 to cover onward postage."

Message received today:

"I dont care what you do, I just want my money back. You all work for Amazon so sort it amongst yourselves"

I think a message to Amazon customer services is required
Bigian13
25 Jul 2014
One dug up from the archives.

A couple of years ago we used to sell mens boxer shorts.

The basis of the messages was:

Customer -" I like your boxer shorts but they are too tight"

Us - " We are very sorry about that, are you sure that you ordered the correct size ?"

Customer -"Yes, the ones I have on say 32-34. I have had them for years and they fit perfectly.

Us - " An awkward question to ask, but have you measured yourself recently ? If you have been wearing your boxer shorts for a while they may have stretched a little bit"

Customer - "You are right, they have stretched. I am more like a 38-40."

Doh
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
26 Jul 2014
Love those return stories again

It's like seeing inside those customers' heads... and it's pretty strange inside there!
Texas United States
rangerdeb
Kudos: 242
29 Jul 2014
I have gotten some of those - mostly the ones where they "changed" their mind. Thank you for sharing with the rest of us!

ReplyManager
Sellware
Ad-Lister
Xpress Lister