Are you using (or planning to use) Google Base?

Poster
Andy
Kudos: 11,661
Are you using (or planning to use) Google Base?
28 Nov 2005
Google Base is Google's new classified ads site, and already has over 14 million products listed.

Are you using it or planning to use it?

[Last edited: 28 Nov 2005]
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
United Kingdom United Kingdom
duncan
Kudos: 100
Re: Are you using (or planning to use) Google Base
1 Dec 2005
Just had a look - interesting - could even be a threat to ebay - they have the cred to launch a new buy/sell - just started to look and will think about this one - so far it seems to be just USA - i bet they extend it to google uk later though - be interesting what others think here - have not sussed how it works yet eg feedback system etc

[Last edited: 1 Dec 2005]
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
Kudos: 11,661
2 Dec 2005
Google Base is not a full trading system, it's just free advertising for any kind of information you like - including products for sale. It's really a free classified advertising site.

So there is no feedback system, or way of ordering. People mainly seem to be linking to their own storefronts so searchers can buy from there.

Everything seems to be in dollars, but I don't think it would take much effort to make it international.
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Poppygirl
Kudos: 211
21 Jun 2006
I am using Google Base through Channel Advisor....so far everything is runing smoothly...wonder if I am getting anything from it. I need a tracking tag system....anyone know of a good one ( or a way to script your own?)
United States United States
petehalsted
Kudos: 25
27 Jun 2006
When searching Google Base I notice of lot of product ads jump straight to the individuals web store page, not to a google base page.

I don't see an option for this in the google base add an item page, are these listings coming from froogle or something?
Florida United States
blackstar
Kudos: 334
28 Jul 2006
We have started to use Google Base with little success.

The system itself is pretty straightforward, obviously copying over everything that craigslist is with some minor tweaks.

The problem lies with the same situation a lot of these overnight ebay clone auction sites suffer from...

Its not enough to advertise in my opinion, but a degreee of patience in order to contain a certain amount of users to break away from the chains of familiarity.

eBay is a staple. Whether it is liked or not. To shy away away from that as a casual online buyer, takes more convincing than those who are trying a system for the first time.

We will continue to use it until it becomes more of a burden than a solution.

Volo
Selro
StoreFeeder
World First