I am thinking about using Kyozou, Pros or Cons

Poster
CPWOC
Kudos: 30
I am thinking about using Kyozou, Pros or Cons
4 Dec 2005
Hello, I have been looking at all the major software management programs out there and I am truly having a hard time. I sell about 550+ listing a month and we are adding new items everyday. I am using ebay's Selling Manager Pro to keep track of everything and SpareDollar to host my images and list my items. This system is just taking to much time. I did not find much talk about Kyozou in this forum, but if anybody has any info, please let me know. Thank you!
Land of Enchantment-New Mexico United States
jwjohnson
Kudos: 458
Re: I am thinking about using Kyozou, Pros or Cons
4 Dec 2005
Take time and read some of the reviews Kyozou
United States United States
superseller
Kudos: 45
6 Dec 2005
I am a Powerseller currently with Kyozou and use their Enterprise program. I HIGHLY recommend you look elsewhere for auction management software. List of cons:

- Shipping calculator does not work for multiple item. Overcharges customers and does not know how to combine shipping. Drives away repeat customers and multiple item sales.

- Occaisionally double charges/overcharges credit card and paypal orders

- Poor fedex integration. Randomly misqotes heavy overnight packages as $1 or so for shipping. Absolutely frightening.

- Have experienced shipment processing downtime which prevents you from shipping out packages.

- Have experienced checkout downtime which means customers can't pay you!

- Their office is in Toronto. Their programmers are in europe. They have poor communication between the two which means their software problems take forever to fix, if ever at all.

- There software does not report customer payments to ebay (despite what they claim). You will get a lot of angry customers emailing you wondering what is going on.

- Customer service is poor. No online ticket support system. Hardly returns phone calls. Only ocaisionally returns emails.

- Does not ship worldwide properly. Checkout poops out when some countries are entered.

- USPS label printing is absolutely painful. Not well thought out at all. I could process USPS shipments 5x faster with other software.

- Honestly, the list goes on and on...

If you do ebay business of any volume, seriously look elsewhere or else you will find yourself manually adjusting many customer orders, responding to irrate customers and geting high blood pressure.

Kyozou software is all looks, no brains. Don't be fooled. I've used Zoovy before, and although their features are not as extensive, they actually work the way they are supposed to.

Good luck!

- SuperSeller!
CPWOC
7 Dec 2005
Thanks for the info! This will save me a lot of time and $$$$$$.
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
Kudos: 11,664
7 Dec 2005
Hi SuperSeller, and welcome

You have some excellent insights into Zoovy and Kyozou. It would be much appreciated if you could contribute reviews for them.
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
superseller
8 Dec 2005
Oye, I've experienced two evenings of their Kyozou checkout system being down now. And all today my e-commerce site with them has also been offline. 'Server Unavailable'. My auction winners can't pay, e-com shoppers can't shop. It's christmas season. Selling prime-time. Grumble grumble.
superseller
8 Dec 2005

Andy wrote:

Hi SuperSeller, and welcome

You have some excellent insights into Zoovy and Kyozou. It would be much appreciated if you could contribute reviews for them.
Thanks! I'll get around to it when I have some time. I'll write a comprehensive review of my experiences with Auction Wizard 2000, Zoovy and Kyozou.
CPWOC
10 Dec 2005
Well, I got some interesting news about pricing from Kyozou. I was talking to Steve who is one of their sales guys and I could not get a affinitive answer about their pricing until I mentioned to them that I saw some pricing on this website. He tried to work his way around answering me, and tried to sell me on the $250 mo. plan with 1000 listing included. The catch here is how they bill. I finally got Steve to be strait with me and he confirmed that Kyozou give you 1000 Posted listing included for the $250. That is right! They charge by each listing you post, it does not matter if your item sells or not. That's nutzzzzz. Then they have the YOUR STUPID plan for $500 Mo. You get zero listing included and pay $0.12 cents for every listing you submit on top of the $500. I am glad I did not waist my $$$$$ on them.
superseller
11 Dec 2005
Kyozou

Be glad about much more than that.

Our checkout page for our ecommerce site run by Kyozou has been down the past three days. The whole site was down earlier last week as well. This is all during primetime christmas season. I lose almost half a grand in sales for each day our e-commerce site is down.

Kyozou also head a day last week where their auction checkout server was down. I had several thousand dollars in auction sales to process, and a ton of angry customers who couldn't checkout and pay.

I wouldn't want any business to go through what we have been through with Kyozou. There are much better companies for you to choose from out there... let me know what you eventually go with and give us a review.

By the way, the price they quoted you is much higher than what we signed up with 4 months ago. I guess they think they're hot stuff.
Raul
Kudos: 85
20 Dec 2005
I haven\'t seen this site before and kind of suprised to have read the above.

I find it incredible that two companies can be using the same software and have such different experiences.

From the day I started using Kyozou (five months ago now) my business went from being a successful yet tedious hodgepodge of different methods and software to a streamlined efficient profit machine. The credit goes to many factors other then Kyozou, but without them every day is a struggle dealing with new issues with them every day is predictable, reliable and mostly automatic.

I cursed SA Pro while using them for four years, didnt like ChannelAdvisor pros limited features and merchants high cost. I used Marketworks for 6 months (had to fight to get out of my contract with them) but it was too complicated for my employees and did nothing to help me with my inventory mess.

Kyozou\'s tools addressed all the major areas of concern. We now enter inventory, store it on a shelf, and list to eBay 2000+ new unique items per business day and we know exactly how many we have, on which shelf its located (via barcode scanners), what our internal number is, how many are up on ebay, how many have sold, are unsold and stats on every product. Our shipping department used to consist of four full-time employees - one for copying everything from PayPal and pasting it in a spreadsheet for export to UPS Worldship, another to find the items in our warehouse and two to physically pack the products. Now, we only have the packing guys. Kyozou automatically takes all completed orders and processes the shipping labels as the order comes in. A pick list of products ready to be shipped is generated twice a day, shipping guys take the list, finds and packs the product and sticks on the label.

Everything is verified by scanning the kyozou barcode label with the tracking number, email with tracking# is automatically sent to customer and out the door it goes. I know it sounds utopian but its the way things run around here.

Can Kyozou be better? Certainly. There have been some glitches and downtime. Downtime sucks when it happens but its happened far less then with marketworks. One time, a lengthy (5 hour) downtime resulted in a 10% credit to our monthly bill. Glitches such as dealing with items packed in more then one box and orders put on hold for no obvious reason do cause annoyance. Ive learnt that 95% perfection is incredible for a software company.

I dont use USPS or FedEx so I cant comment on their setup with kyozou, but the shipping calculator and complete integration is a dream.

Their phone support is fantastic, email support is sluggish. None of the systems I have ever used were adding new features like Kyozou has been. Nary a week goes by where something new hasnt been implemented. They now automatically promote my website on Froogle and if I wasnt so cheap on many other sites as well. Speed was a problem 3 months ago, but is now blazing along. The most important part of my business is data and their reporting tells me everything from detailed sales to employee listing activity. Speaking of which, all my employees have their own log-ins and I always know who did what when. IP restrictions prevent them from mucking things up from home and those who dont need access to certain parts of the system are prevented.

Better support for Firefox and updated manuals would be great.

Overall kyozou is as professional a company you will come across in the world of on-line selling. They have a well-thought out first-class product that any seller serious about growing their business would be foolish to ignore.

[Last edited: 20 Dec 2005]
superseller
20 Dec 2005

Maybe Kyozou is acceptable to you. They certainly are a jack-of-all trades and master of… well, let me address a few critical Kyozou flaws:

-Mixes up addresses on common orders situation:

Customer has previous order history.
Customer creates a new order with a new ship address. Kyozou sends the wrong info to Endicia and ends up creating a label for the old address, not the customer’s specified new ship to address.

- Won’t allow shipping via FedEx Ground past 4pm on Sundays.

- RMA Feature does not fully support customers with non-Internet Explorer browsers.

- If two customers order the same item and quantity from the same multiple quantity Buy-It-Now auction or eBay store item, their addresses and payments will get mixed up. Kyozou, guaranteed, will send the wrong user info and address when they redirect the customer to Paypal for payment.

Result: One customer who hasn’t paid, is marked as paid, and gets the order shipped. The other customer who has paid, isn’t marked as paid and gets irritated wondering why their package hasn’t been shipped to them. You lose the total cost for one of the sales. You end up shipping one of the orders out for free.

- Payment received notification to eBay not working for over a month. So you ended up getting a ton of emails from customers wondering why their ‘My eBay’ shows they haven’t paid, when actually they have. They claimed to have fixed it but it is still not 100%.

- Double, triple charges customers when their checkout system gets bogged. What happens is when their system slows down, but has completely overloaded yet, the customers get thrown in checkout loops. When they are about to complete the payment, they get sent back to step one again, and end up paying multiple times. I get about 5 overpaid items a day due to this.

- Does not handle international addresses well. Cannot accept address lines beyond 20 characters even though Endicia, and FedEx ship manager does. Does not handle full European character sets. Prepare for them to come out on your label printer as pure garbble.

- Ecommerce options are awful. You cannot arrange your inventory on ANY of the pages. They say customer discounts are stackable, they are not.

- Amazon.com syndication? It’s an incomplete implementation. Only works (sort of) if you sell books, CD’s, or DVD’s.

- Shipment processor. Creates an incomplete que of orders to be processed. It never accurately tallies the amount of orders that are ready to ship. Result: Some orders that are ready to ship get left behind and end up sitting around for a week until the customer emails you, “Where’s my stuff? I paid over a week ago!”

Also shipping processor does not automatically close USPS orders once they have been labeled and shipped. You have to view a list of shipped orders, click on each one individually and manually select them to be closed. Have fun doing that with a hundred shipments.

- Barcode scanning. Sounds great doesn’t it? But for full warehouse tracking you need wireless PDA barcode scanners. Kyozou’s recommended source for Kyozou configured PDA barcode machines hasn’t had any in stock for ½ a year. They don’t plan to stock anymore either.

- Shipping calculator. Let’s just say it’s absolutely horrifying when Kyozou randomly quotes overnight shipment costs for a 20 pound item as $1.13. Meanwhile their shipping calculator for multiple quantity line items I believe is based on alien mathematics, because I can’t figure it out, and neither can my customers.

..cont'd
superseller
20 Dec 2005
- Downtime:

If an eCommerce site is a part of your business… you’ll lose a lot of it.
Christmas month, horrendous downtime:

4 days of e-commerce downtime in December
3 days of e-commerce checkout downtime
2 half day checkout downtimes for eBay checkout

If you don’t really need to collect money from your customers than I guess this is okay. Meanwhile imagine having an average of $400-500 a day profits from your e-commerce website wiped out by un-monitored downtime like our company experienced. Oh, don’t forget the $$$ you spend on paid search that is wasted. I’m not talking the free stuff like Froogle.

- Kyozou Community:
There is none. If you check their message boards, hardly anyone posts. They make it difficult to register for the message boards even if you have an account with their service. They delete critical but constructive comments about their software. It’s heavily censored. Don’t go looking for any help there.

What are your other options? Auction Wizard 2000 is good for the casual/hobby seller. Zoovy is great and solid piece of software for small to medium sized companies. If you need large or enterprise scale go to ChannelAdvisor Merchant. You pay more fees, but you will save more and earn more in the long run with a robust , intelligent and efficient operation center, much stronger ecommerce hosting, and excellent support and consulting. That’s why big companies like Sears, Bestbuys, IBM, Harmon Audio, Motorola etc. use ChannelAdvisor, and not Kyozou. Both Zoovy and ChannelAdvisor are light years ahead of Kyozou in eCommerce features and configurability.

On paper Kyozou looks great. They tried to add every possible feature but at the expense of having a stable platform. Plain as pie.

Good luck everyone! May we all be prosperous!
Raul
21 Dec 2005
Whoa, SuperSeller!.slow down buddy.

Your history with Kyozou has obviously made you blind to what Kyozou is all about. It seems that when something doesn’t run exactly as you expect your little world crumbles around you. It saddens me you’ve had such a negative experience as Kyozou is an extraordinarily powerful solution that has made an overwhelming situation full of possibilities I \\\'ve said this above and to defend my original comments I will address how everything you said above is exaggerated and completely out of context.

I was speaking with Kyozou this morning about their Overstock implementation, and happened to joke around about the lack of downtime - they didn \\\'t find this all too humorous, kind of like mentioning bomb at airport security. Its a good thing they take this stuff way too seriously.

-Mixing up addresses on orders

-I love my return customers and have NEVER experienced this and can only attribute this to incorrect system use

-FedEx ground not allowed after 4pm sundays

--I personally use UPS for all my orders and have everything go off without a hitch. No problems here whatsoever! How does that make sense anyway? Have you spoken with Kyozou or FedEx about this? sounds like a FedEx rule or something.

-RMA does not work on other browsers other than IE

--this was a point that I wanted to be 100% sure of before I even thought about choosing a service provider. To me, ease of checkout is perhaps one of the most KEY things crucial to having happy customers. I am always leery of ANY checkout, but was very impressed with Kyozou \\\'s .. its easy, quick and VERY compatible. I personally tested and verified the Kyozou checkout on internet explorer, avant browser, opera, firefox, MAC safari browse and even my Blackberry. Checkout and was smooth and without error on all these systems. Fortunately my returns are few and were all handled by Kyozou exactly as envisioned.

-multiple quantity auctions screw up user ids when more then one customer purchases the same quantity on the same auction.

--I have not sold many multiple quantity items, but from the few I did , there not any issues. I just ran a report on Kyozou to check up some of my multiple item listings and I couldn’t find any orders not looking like thaey should. Then again, I imagine customers would have emailed to inform of a problem -don’t recall anything like that. You’re either unlucky or there is a quirk in your particular account.

-my ebay pages not updating

--this WAS an issue, and I was in contact with the support reps at Kyozou as for some reason buyers really care about this. They claimed it was a communication problem between ebay and Kyozou, something was not right in how eBay granted access and supposedly it was a problem with every solution -not just Kyozou. Not too long ago, eBay didn’t even have this feature, kind of funny that buyers are all into it.

-multiple charges on checkout

--again this WAS an issue right when I started with Kyozou, well before Labor Day. I remember that users were able to click the checkout buttons multiple times and this would allow click happy users to create many many orders and tracking numbers. Again this was something Kyozou fixed immediately!

-cannot use international addresses over 20 character

--I cannot vouch for this, so I will have to take supersellers word for it

-international characters come out as garble

-Hmmm, didn’t know about this one, I guess my customers all know to enter information in good old ABC.

[Last edited: 21 Dec 2005]
Raul
21 Dec 2005
-ecom inventory cannot be arranged

--this is true, but with proper item promotion and simple customization of my ecommerce pages, this is not even a glimmer of a problem for myself. You gotta use your categories properly. Kyozou’s e-commerce is by far the simplest to use -no uploading required, if the item is in inventory its up on yours site.

-custom discounts are not stackable.
--Do you mean on a per order basis?

-amazon only works for cds, dvds and books

-fair enough, but the fact that I can promote all my items on Google Base, Froogle, Yahoo! Search Marketing, my Simon, shopzilla and Shopping.com all from the same place is HUGE!! Besides, in my mind, cds and dvds is amazons strong point, I would much rather have my other products on sites that would get more traffic for these other items. Integration with Amazon Seller central (supposedly on the way) will have me considering Amazon more strongly.

-ready to ship is not accurate

--always have been for me! My pickers print out the items ready to be shipped report twice a day, once in the morning, and once after lunch - that’s 12 times a week, and every time its VERY accurate. Assuming that’s what you mean by ‘accurately’

-manually close all usps orders that ship

--I use UPS but what can I say here except BATCH ACTIONS… Kyozou has batch actions for everything, so sure “try this for a few hundred orders” no problem, click click … DONE! How hard is to sort and select all? Some points you make are somewhat valid -this one way off! Furthermore, I’ve got full autoprocessing turned on, so my employees simply pick the items with their pick sheet, then when they have all the items, scan the product id on the item, and the corresponding shipping labels prints out on the spot and the order is marked as closed! Its that kind of customization and integration that Kyozou is willing to do for ME that just blows me away! Its phenomenal!

-barcode scanners - stock from suppliers

--so kyozous recommended supplier is out of stock and even if they NEVER get them again, we are all sellers on ebay and know how easy it is to find whatever we want on ebay, bid on one! I am sure Kyozou has other suppliers that they could recommend as well. I’m still in the stone age with wired scanners (cost me $10 each for 20 on ebay). I hope to go fully wireless when we move into our bigger warehouse in March.

-shipping calculators screw up weights and costs

--I used to primarily ONLY use shipping calculators , only recently have I started to use fixed shipping on some of my items. But for the items that still use the shipping calculator, I have weights varying from 1 lb to 25 lbs with dimensions all over the place, and Kyozou gets them bang on … the only problem I have ever experienced with shipping is when I tried to ship a oversized item through Kyozou, which was not allowed by UPS. This item I had to process manually, but that is reasonable considering it was over inches long!! As for multiple items, I don’t know the exact math but I believe it simply adds the weights. The quotes are always what I would get if I get a ratequote directly from UPS based on those weights and dimensions.

-DOWNTIME

-I think that Kyozou compared to other service providers have been right on the pulse of downtime. Believe me they know! This was something I was actually discussing in length with my support rep and from I was told, they have a full monitoring system in place to let them know when ANY module of the system is down, as well as full bot testing of the complete site that occurs every 2 minutes!

Raul
21 Dec 2005
-community forums

--Kyozou is for serious businesses. You and I aside the typical Kyozou seller is unlikely to spend all day on the boards when they can be making money running their show. As it is, it feel a little odd writing something positive on a forum, as its typically the stomping grounds of the whiners. Having said that, I appreciate g’ol forum banter and it would be nice if Kyozou would take the time to make their boards a happening place.

-too many features = unstable system.

--Stability is a bit too vague for me. What exactly is not stable? New features come out and I always have my own idea of how they could’ve done it different here and there. Hey, have you ever used a Microsoft product? Its software, get with the program! (no pun intended). To say that too many features creates an unstable system is not true at all. Kyozou’s core components have always been VERY stable.

Those other solutions you mentioned. Not one of them can hold a candle to solving my inventory issues. Call up Channel Advisor and ask about inventory control outside of telling you to rely on your existing system. As for bar-coding, they’ll probably tell you to call Kyozou. Zoovy you say? It may work, but I’ve been told full integration is somewhere in the 6 month range - even then it’s a choppy piece of software nowhere near the complete set of tools of Kyozou, and according to their website you gotta pay for everything separately. I don’t like feeling like I’m doing them a favor.

SuperSeller, nothing personal but it looks like you’re giving up because of a couple of perceived hiccups - I’m here for the long-run because of Kyozou and yes prosperity is sweet.

StoreFeeder
World First
Seller Dynamics
ReplyManager