listing HTML question...

Poster
in2sky
Kudos: 20
listing HTML question...
8 Dec 2005
Hello!

I'm posting here about listings and the HTML code used for descriptions.

Here's the deal: I have a shop on ebay and want my listings to look good. All the templates I've seen so far, both free and paid ones are simply, in my opinion, rubbish. As a graphic designer, I'm able to do much better, especially if I want to design a real identity for my listings. Not just that but creating my own template also separates me from others.

I use Dreamweaver to create the HTML and Illustrator/Photoshop for the images.

Now the problem: LINKS!
Yes, the html code, colums and table colors, CSS for styling my text and so on is no problem at all. But linking the images is a problem. I host my pictures on my own website,

The problem when creating the html is that the links for the pictures are local links, not definitive links from the website. I've found it's quite an effort to link pictures using the online address.

So my question, is there any other way to link a picture on a HTML file ? The easiest way in order to being able to simply copy, when the listing is finished, the html code that I'll then paste into ebay?

THANKS alot.

Mapi.
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
Kudos: 11,616
Re: listing HTML question...
8 Dec 2005
Hi in2sky , welcome to the site

I use Dreamweaver for designing eBay listings too. I simply create the listing with local image SRCs then do a find-and-replace to change them to point to my website. I can appreciate that this might be unwieldy if you sell lots of different items (but you can do find-and-replace across multiple files in DW).

Another possibility is using the BASE HTML element, but I doubt it would work in an eBay listing.

You could have a standard piece of JavaScript that you paste into your listings to change local image SRCs to website SRCs. I don't particularly recommend that approach though - if someone has JavaScript turned off in their browser they won't see any images at all.
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
Switzerland Switzerland
in2sky
Kudos: 20
12 Dec 2005
Hi, Thanks alot for the reply.

Been experimenting a little bit this week-end, not only with Dreamweaver/Contribute, but also with some product demos for management/sales on ebay (market blast etc.).

Well, this is not easy! All the software I used have templates,
but boy... what templates! As ugly as you can get.
My solution is still to produce my own templates.

Unfortunately, because of the html address problem, it's a time consuming process that's not going to change until ebay changes its system. The best would be to be able to simply give a web link to the auction html page hosted somewhere else.

I don't see any other solution. Of course one that's got 100's of products for sale every week would be tempted to use Turbo Lister or another of those bad looking templates, but hell, I 've got my pride... pride in presenting a good-looking ad for my products. It's crazy how ebay listings looks bad... isn't it?

Thanks for the reply and let's hope the thread will get more messages in the future, with good tips.

in2sky
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
Kudos: 11,616
12 Dec 2005
I would expect a good management application to allow you to set your own custom template, rather than using the built-in ones. You should be able to specify your normal image location on the web, and design the auction locally. The app would then automatically change the image source when you have finished designing.

If you stick with Dreamweaver, I'd recommend exploring the power of its find-and-replace. It supports regular expressions, and can replace across hundreds of pages in one go.

For example, if you open the Find dialog (control + F), then set the following options:

1. Find in: Entire Current Local Site
2. Search: Source Code
3. Find: src=(["'])?(www.yourdomain.com/)?([^"'>]*)
4. Replace: src=$1www.yourdomain.com/$3
5. Check 'Use regular expression'

That will add www.yourdomain.com to the start of all SRCs that don't start with it. Be careful if you use this as it has potential to create a real mess - experiment with one page at first!
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
United Kingdom United Kingdom
mikexy
Kudos: 15
2 Feb 2006
WE sell a resonably high volume of one off items so typically I'm loading 80-100 photos per day all of which are hosted on image host. I've written a VBA excel macro which generates the html including links to the photos, what used to take hours takes no time at all now.
Have you got any sample listing designs?

XSellco
Volo
Selro
StoreFeeder