Advertising consignement shop

Poster
mattp
Kudos: 35
Advertising consignement shop
24 Mar 2006
Hello All,

Can anybody give any advice about the most cost effective methods of advertising an ebay consignement business (local press/radio etc)?

Thanks,
Matt P
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
Kudos: 11,637
Re: Advertising consignement shop
25 Mar 2006
Hi Matt, thanks for getting involved on the site!

Consignment selling is primarily a local business so I would go for local advertising. The cheapest option to start with is leafleting houses in your catchment area, putting your fliers in local shops, libraries etc. You just need to get the fliers produced then hit the streets, which also gives the opportunity to talk to people and explain what you do in person.

See how that performs - you might find that word-of-mouth takes over from there - and then progress onto local press, radio, and whatever else is available. The leafleting will give you an idea of the return on your investment, so you can do some proper comparison of the paid options available.

Unfortunately the eBay Trading Assistant Co-op program has been discontinued, but don't forget their TA directory, if you are not already in it.
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
United States United States
Jaade
Kudos: 120
30 Mar 2006
I know this is a little off the beaten path but I have heard of some cosigners approaching Garage Sales and offering their services. Hopefully after much success, word of mouth takes off.

Jaade
United Kingdom United Kingdom
mattp
Kudos: 35
30 Mar 2006
Hi Jaade,
Thanks for that - I'm in the UK, so I'm not sure if there is an equivalent to Garage Sales, but I'll have a delve.

thanks,
Mattp
Florida United States
blackstar
Kudos: 334
28 Jul 2006
There are many ways to promote an ebay drop-off store that surprisingly, a lot of the big boys ignore.

Advertising and Marketing is the heart of an eBay drop off store, as it is with many.

The hint given here is to STAY LOCAL. Through experience, extending your product outside of your market is a waste of time and money.

Good Luck
Philippines Philippines
kagumea
Kudos: 15
starting and operating consignment shop book
1 Aug 2006
wanted to start my own consignment business...i ran across and found this book... and i chose to order this..has anyone read this? www.consignment-software.com/order-cr.htm
Florida United States
blackstar
1 Aug 2006

kagumea wrote:

wanted to start my own consignment business...i ran across and found this book... and i chose to order this..has anyone read this? www.consignment-software.com/order-cr.htm
i have one royalty free which is an excellent book for anyone running a conisgnment/ebay drop-off store.
pm me with your email and I will send it to you.
cheers
Western Australia Australia
tan35
Kudos: 25
13 Aug 2006

blackstar wrote:

kagumea wrote:

i have one royalty free which is an excellent book for anyone running a conisgnment/ebay drop-off store.
pm me with your email and I will send it to you.
cheers
I am not sure how to PM you but I wouldnt mind a copy of thats ok. We opened about 1 month ago and its a brand new idea here we are the 1st so having a hard time getting the word out.

regards
Tania
Online Offload

P.s we are in Western Australia.
jiggagirl
Kudos: 70
20 Oct 2006
Hey what does PM mean? I would like a copy of the info from blackstar on the consignment shop business.
Ps i'm totally new to this site. So hello everyone!
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
Kudos: 11,637
21 Oct 2006
Hi jiggagirl, welcome!

PM means "private message". Some discussion boards have a feature where users can send each other private messages via the board without giving out their email address - a feature that this board doesn't actually support.

I hope you are finding the site useful.
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
Florida United States
blackstar
5 Nov 2006
sorry for both disappearing for awhile and not knowing that there was not a pm functon...
email me..
info@thynks.com for a copy.
cheers.
NewLifeAuctions
Kudos: 45
14 Sep 2007
I opened a drop off store from 2002-2004. Marketing was a challenge, but I will share what we did.

By far the most cost effect advertising for us was Google Adwords. You can control the distance from your store where your ad is shown. You need to have a decent website for this to work.

We found ValPak very effective too. When we sent our first coupon out, the phone rang off the hook. It is a bit expensive, but it is definitely worth doing once or twice.

Local newspapers were alright, but they were less effective and costly. I think it is worth placing an ad only when you start out.

Radio and TV are way too expensive and cover more area than you need. Yellow pages didn't work either. That was a huge waste of money for us. We got only 1 customer from it in one year.

You should market to local businesses and government. We had a relationship with our local police department. They brought in excess equipment to sell. Too bad we couldn't get their property room stuff. They had a contract to sell that somewhere else.

Good luck to you.
Visit www.newlifeauctions.com to learn how to start a successful eBay business.
Cyrus
Kudos: 211
16 Sep 2007
You can also offer to help with a fundraiser at a local organization. I had great luck with a local school. Kids and parents droped off items at the school to sell on ebay with a small information tag that included their name, telephone number, and email address. I'd stop by once a week and pick up the items, list them on eBay, and keep the names of the people that dropped off the items as customers to market to in the future with direct mail. I had a second transaction with over half of them and probably still see about 25% of the original people from the fundraiser.

Seller Dynamics
ReplyManager
Sellware
Ad-Lister