WANTED: eshop + eBay checkout

Poster
hotline
Kudos: 25
WANTED: eshop + eBay checkout
28 Mar 2006
We are a high volume PowerSeller on eBay. We are in search of a product which integrately offers (i) an eshop (so we sell online by ourselves) and (ii) a checkout button on our eBay auctions.

We have a budget of US$300/month for over 1500 montly listings and 3000 store items. That budget has excluded us from first tier providers such as ChannelAdvisor. The closest thing we can find so far is AuctionBlox Store. We were just wondering if there are any other choices. We just need:

An eshop with an integrated inventory management function to our eBay listings (which inevitably, as we believe, incur listing/relisting/checkout functions) .
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
Kudos: 11,619
Re: WANTED: eshop + eBay checkout
29 Mar 2006
Hi hotline, and welcome

This should help get you started: www.webretailer.com/forum-topic.asp?tid=168
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
United States United States
Jaade
Kudos: 120
30 Mar 2006
Hi. I would give Marketworks a look. They are a one stop shop. The system involves many facets and will help streamline alot of the daily tasks(if they took pics and wrote my ads it would be complete ). I'm not sure how the fees play into it for you, but as they say time is money, and they have certainly freed up my time. With that said, Marketworks has a steep learning curve, but it can be learned and is well worth it in my opinion.

As far as the storefront is concerned, that is part of the package and you can use your own .com (that's one of the features that sold me). I am small time working on big time and when I get there I don't want to have to worry about switching to another company that will meet my needs, and I think MW is perfect in that aspect.

One of their clients is Adam Hersh Auctions. I mention this because is you search on eBay you can see where he started and where he is today (another factor that sold me).

Anywho that is my longwinded opinion.

Jaade
Hong Kong Hong Kong
hotline
30 Mar 2006
Andy: Very useful link. Thanks a billion!!

Jaade: Marketworks, like many other corproate grade service provider, charges 2% on GMS, which means $2000 per every $100,000 monthly sales. With that amount of money we can buy a highend licence (such as from StoreFront) and hire a full time inhouse IT guy to take care of that and all other IT issues.

I know Marketworks is loved by many top tier powersellers. I have not a single doubt on its capability. May be those powersellers already have IT staff so they won't think that way. What do you think?
United States United States
Raul
Kudos: 85
30 Mar 2006
I would strongly reccomend you have a look at Kyozou. It may be a bit higher then your stated $300 budget but it will do whatever you\'re trying to do.

I\'ve used Marketworks and while I appreciate their history, Kyozou is hands-down a better solutions. The user-interface flows far better and they offer enterprise-level tools Marketworks can\'t touch. I\'m talking about a bar-coded inventory system, integrated shipping and a nimble staff who talk to you and understand your business.

There is a learning curve but not quite as extensive as Marketworks. I made the decision last June to start with Kyozou and never looked back. Its a newer company and I understand how Marketworks\' experience is attractive, but the bottom line is Kyozou has the best product.
Andy
30 Mar 2006
Hotline, it could help if you decide which is your priority: eBay selling, or direct selling.

You will find the providers from an auction management background offer a fuller feature set for eBay selling, while the ecommerce companies do the storefront side better.

I wrote a couple of articles on this topic for Auctionbytes. They are a little old now but you might find them useful:

Storefront Services: A Guide for eBay Sellers. Part One. Part Two.
Hong Kong Hong Kong
hotline
31 Mar 2006
May be I should elaborate our status so people with smiliar settings can take us as a learning reference.

We already has our own eshop. It was built few years ago with a good shopping-cart script. The shopping flow is good. Just the site does not manage inventory and its product management mechanism is beyond our size of collection (1000 items). Subsequently we don't add as many new items as we actually have. The penalty is the site sales dropped from 50% to 2% of our total sales in the past few years.

So to answer Andy's query, we are hoping to achieve a 50-50 ratio between direct and ebay selling.

For two reasons we are not considering the class Andy termed as "Auction Management Providers with Storefronts ":

1. They typcially charge 2% on sales. Which means $2000 per $100,000 order made. It is too expensive to us. Simply speaking, our product margin does not allow that cut of profit.

2. We are based in Hong Kong, which means (i) we are unable to sell on a few major marketplaces besides eBay: Amazon, Overstock.... (ii) we are unable to enjoy any on site servcie (demo, training, trouble shoot, phone support...) and features (postage calcuator, courier lable printing, integrated shipment tracking...). Those service and features are generally included, whcih means paid, in their package.

Therefore we would find more "value" on the other class, as Andy described, " Web Stores with an eBay Extension ".

Andy listed 4 companies in the class: AuctionBlox, Make-a-Store, StoreFront:, and Y.E.S.!. We know AuctionBlox pretty well. Make-a-Store charges 1.9% on sales so we shall skip. There are StoreFront:, and Y.E.S.! which we are going to study and compare.

Having we found anything interesting or made a decision we would post our thoughts here in this thread for sharing purpose. In the mean time anyone is welcome to throw us any thoughts
Andy
31 Mar 2006
Hi hotline, thanks for the summary. It is much appreciated and I am sure others will find it useful.

If you could post reviews of any products you trial that would be fantastic.

ChannelAdvisor
XSellco
Volo
Selro