any software can block 0 feedback new buyer?

Poster
johnrwalton
Kudos: 15
any software can block 0 feedback new buyer?
2 Apr 2006
my two items were bought by two newly registered buyers who then sent me scam or unregistered. ebay doesn't block 0 feedback buyers. do you guys know some software blocking these buyers?
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
Kudos: 11,661
Re: any software can block 0 feedback new buyer?
11 Apr 2006
Hi, thanks for posting

I think you have touched upon something that concerns a lot of sellers, but I don't see how a software solution could block low or zero feedback buyers - eBay would have to implement that themselves.

Unfortunately, I think it's something that eBay are very reluctant to do as it would prevent new buyers from getting started, which is understandable. Perhaps it could be put in place as an option for higher-value items, but I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for it to happen.

Any other opinions out there?
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
USA United States
CoderOne
Kudos: 30
13 Apr 2006
I've seen auctions where in the description it states that the seller will cancel 0 feedback bidders due to blah blah.

A software program could be made to scan a seller's auctions and auto cancel a 0 feedback bid. The program as a courtesy to the bidder could also auto send an eBay email in the seller's behalf notifying the bidder as to the reason why.
CricketKeeper
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
Kudos: 11,661
13 Apr 2006
That's a good point - rather than blocking zero feedback bidders from bidding you could cancel their bids after the event.

I've taken a look at eBay's policies and it is not clear to me if this would violate them. For example:

Unwelcome and Malicious Buying page wrote:

Buyers who do not meet the seller’s terms as outlined in the item listing are not permitted to bid on or buy the item... Sellers are permitted to exclude bidders at any time prior to the listing close and are free to cancel unwelcome bids.

BUT

Managing Bidders and Buyers page wrote:

In general, sellers should not cancel bids on their auctions.

Legitimate reasons to cancel a bid include:

* A bidder contacts you to back out of the bid.
* You cannot verify the identity of the bidder after trying all reasonable means of contact.
I can't remember ever seeing an automatic tool to cancel bids. It's the kind of thing Ethical do, but their site has been down for weeks.
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
USA United States
CoderOne
Kudos: 30
14 Apr 2006
A search of "0 Feedback" in titles and descriptions resulted in just over 30k hits on eBay. Not a very large number for a direct quote.

I checked a few and the general policy is worded like:

If you are a new bidder or have ZERO (0) feedback, please be sure to email us first BEFORE bidding, or you bid amy be canceled.

Another said simply:

THOSE WITH 0 FEEDBACK, PLEASE EMAIL ME BEFORE BIDDING

Some included those with negative feedback or only negative negative.

The simple threat to cancel the bid might be enough. Possibly contact sellers that use the policy and see what effect it has had.
CricketKeeper

2nd Office
ChannelAdvisor
XSellco
Volo