What is the best Online shop provider / shopping cart?

Poster
albert123321
Kudos: 15
What is the best Online shop provider / shopping cart?
11 Jul 2014
Hello everyone,

I am a bookstore owner in Cambridge, MA, and I would like to start my online shop.

What do you guys use? How about this provider ?
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
Kudos: 11,661
Re: What is the best Online shop provider / shopping cart?
11 Jul 2014
That's Shopify.

Selling books is quite different to other products - a huge and good quality product catalogue to draw listing information from is often a requirement, for example.

Are you selling anywhere online now, like marketplaces? What type of books do you sell?
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
Nottingham United Kingdom
Bigian13
Kudos: 2,316
13 Jul 2014
Everybody has their own personal favourite depending on their individual needs. If you read every review about every provider you would not bother. If you get chance, try a few providers that offer a trial, or if you know people that use certain platforms, ask if you can see them actually using their system.

Shopify is, in my opinion, a great platform to start selling from. With the free trial it gives you a chance to test the platform without committing to buy, although do not expect many sales during this period unless you are very good or very lucky.

It is easily set up and has lots of different templates, several of which are free, so you can tweak the design to your needs. Many of the templates available are "responsive" so they look good on a pc / laptop and on a mobile / tablet. An important plus these days. Add to that the many different add ons such as up selling, mail shots, reviews and many more you can add to your site as your needs, and budget, increase.

You really can have a site set up and on-line within a couple of hours.

It is also compatible with most of the inventory control software available, allowing you to sell over many platforms (ebay, Amazon, your website etc) without overselling.

On a couple of occasions I have had to contact customer support, and their answers to my problems have been swift and have resolved the problem.

One of the main things people do not like about Shopify is the monthly fee and the commission charges. We just factor these in to our selling prices as we do the PayPal fees.

A year or two ago I helped a friend set up a Shopify store for his second hand bookshop. He found it dead easy to do and enjoyed a large number of sales that supplemented his pension. He was 67 and had no real computer experience.

Regards

Ian
E-commerce , love it or hate it, that's why we are here
Los Angeles United States
InternetMarketingDotNet
Kudos: 215
22 Jul 2014
On the hosted side, you may want to look at www.bigcommerce.com or www.3dcart.com, they are both similar to Shopify
Supplier
Marina Del Rey, CA United States
Solid Commerce
Kudos: 250
22 Jul 2014

InternetMarketingDotNet wrote:

On the hosted side, you may want to look at www.bigcommerce.com or www.3dcart.com, they are both similar to Shopify
Again, seconded!

InternetMarketingDotNet is on POINT in these forums.

BigCommerce and 3dCart are great out-of-the-box solutions. A lot of online sellers love them because they're both pretty current, which makes for easy integrations. They also both come with a lot of really nice design options - many Bigcommerce themes are responsive, which is a HUGE plus in today's rapidly-expanding mobile eCommerce landscape.
Supplier
Manchester United Kingdom
Dave - UnderstandingE
Kudos: 82
6 Aug 2014
Currently the leading online website provider is Magento. Last time I checked of the top 1 million eCommerce sites in the world 26% were using Magento. That figure is a little older now and I have heard that number as passed 30% recently, but no hard facts to back that up yet.

Magento is often described as being complicated and 'for developers' but it doesn't have to be that way.

We have proven that over at UnderstandingE.com

The beauty of Magento is Community Edition is Open Source and allows you to innovate in your business. There are literally thousands of extensions to add functionality to your website system to extend functionality where you need it. Including the likes of M2E Pro which enable you to sell on eBay through your Magento system, whilst managing inventory and orders.

Just another option for you to look into there Albert

Dave
UnderstandingE - Multi-Channel Software doesn't have to be expensive
Supplier
Marina Del Rey, CA United States
Solid Commerce
Kudos: 250
30 Sep 2014
@Dave - This is some great advice. Worth noting is that scalability is one of the biggest draws when it comes to Magento - you can really work with that software to handle an impressive amount of eCommerce, that's for sure.
United States United States
Tej R
Kudos: 170
18 Feb 2015
Shopify & BigCommerce are by far the 2 best Shopping cart providers out there. Shopify has an amazing community and support. Bigcommerce has sturdy and robust features and integration.

To decide between the two, it would be upto your specific needs and your observations.

Here's an epic unbiased comparison:
The MC Hammer Guide to Shopify vs Bigcommerce
Supplier
New York, NY United States
Skubana
Kudos: 128
19 Feb 2015
You certainly aren't lacking in overall options, but there's certainly better options for you than others.

There are a few things you should be asking yourself when choosing an online platform for your e-commerce business:

- What am I selling and where am I selling it?
- How much time do I have to set up my cart and site?
- How tech savvy am I?

Any platform that can provide you with an ease of use, versatility and compatibility for you and your sales channels (If you're selling on multiple channels) is always a good thing.

No matter which cart you're looking into you're going to hear both the good and bad. Everyone has their preferences and some systems work better for others depending on their selling situation.

The example you gave of Shopify has a lot going for it. First off, if you're just starting out, it provides a smooth interface that's user friendly and you can be up and running in just a few hours.

BigCommerce also has a smooth interface with an ease of use and may be worth checking out.

I'm not sure where you're selling and how tech savvy you're but Magento may be worth considering if you're going for a more customized feel for your store. It requires more time, but in the end you'll have more options with look and style.

Be sure to do some research on these various platforms, as well as ask yourself a lot of questions about your own business before choosing a final platform. You'll thank yourself in the long run.

Hope this could help.

Jim
@Skubana_ERP
Jim
www.Skubana.com
@Skubana_ERP

Seller Dynamics
ReplyManager
Sellware
Ad-Lister