Postage solutions

Poster
kokturkster
Kudos: 68
Postage solutions
11 Jul 2014
Hi, I am in the process of setting up my store and website. I would welcome any postage and delivery solutions. I have had a look at Royal mail and MyHermes. Any recommendations / suggestions will be gratefully received. Thanks in advance
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
Kudos: 11,661
Re: Postage solutions
11 Jul 2014
Hi there, welcome to the site and thanks for posting

I'm probably not best placed to answer this myself, but I think it will help others if you can provide some more information... can you answer some of the following:

How many orders do you expect to ship each day, approximately? What will a typical package be like in size and weight? Will you be sending orders internationally or just within the UK? What software are you using for your store and/or order management?

OR - as you are just setting up you could take a completely different tack and outsource your order fulfillment completely - let another company handle logistics while you concentrate on marketing etc. We list ecommerce fulfillment companies in the directory.

I hope that helps! Let's see if someone can give some pointers on your original question about choosing a carrier.
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
Brighton United Kingdom
kokturkster
11 Jul 2014
Hi Andy, Thank you very much for your welcome and for your reply.

To be honest, I have had a look at fulfillment companies which will certainly leave more time for marketing but initially I am looking to send out the orders myself until such time that it becomes viable to use a fulfillment company.

During the first month I expect to ship 28 orders, rising to 168 in month 6.

Orders will be shipped within the UK only. The products are light weight (less than 1kg 2.2 lbs) and can probably be shipped in padded envelopes.

As for order management software, this is something that I need to look into.

Thank you again for your time.
Nottingham United Kingdom
Bigian13
Kudos: 2,316
13 Jul 2014
Hi, we were in a similar situation a couple of years ago so I hope I can help.
We started sending 5 or 6 parcels a day, and dispatched through the local post office. Larger parcels were sent through Hermes via their dropshop service.
As orders increased we soon opened a Royal Mail business account. Benefits of this are no cash needed, RM collects, we can now send up to 2 kg second class for around £2 per item. (prices are calculated on the average weight of the items)
With regard to parcel carriers we started with Hermes but as numbers grew so did the problems. It seems that no matter which parcel carrier you use, there will be reviews both good and bad. All I can suggest is that you ring round and get some quotes. Obviously your price will be lower once the volume goes up. Some couriers won't be interested at your lower levels, so try parcel2go.com some of their prices are cheaper than if you went direct to a courier.
Another factor you need to consider is the value of the items you are sending. Do you need a signature upon delivery ? Do you want full tracking ? Do you need insurance ?

If I can help you further, just ask.
Ian
E-commerce , love it or hate it, that's why we are here
Brighton United Kingdom
kokturkster
13 Jul 2014
Hi Ian

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your response which is very much appreciated.

I am going to check out parcel2go.com and will probably star as you did with Royal Mail. The Royal Mail business account looks extremely beneficial and when I have the required number of parcels to send I shall 100% apply.

If anything else crops up and I have some more questions I hope you wont mind me asking you. Thank you again....

Caroline
Supplier
UK United Kingdom
daytodayebay
Kudos: 484
17 Jul 2014
Royal Mail PPI + Courier if need is a good mix.

Which courier to choose depends on price + service. Best to read through forums for not so good couriers. However, I find this strange that there are problems with particular couriers. I understand its is down to individual drivers for service as everything is contracted these days.
DaytodayeBay.Your one stop eBay and Amazon Solution Provider
Brighton United Kingdom
kokturkster
20 Jul 2014
Hi DayToDayEbay

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a response to my question. I do appreciate your help. Royal Mail PPI is actually what I have been looking for :-)

Thank you once again
Supplier
Nottingham United Kingdom
UK Fulfilment
Kudos: 58
21 Aug 2014
Hi there

A little late to this thread, but hope i can add some advise.

As a fulfilment house, we have used/use many different couriers and services and the answer is that what is right for one company is not right for another.

Just because Company A who sends 100 parcels a day with Courier A has lots of problems, Company B who send 1000 orders a month with the same carrier may not.

My best advise would be not to be drawn to a company on price alone. Price is a key factor, of course it is, but customer service is as important, if not more so, than price.

If there is an issue with a parcel, then good customer service and resolution far outweighs the slightly higher cost that may be paid.

With the volumes you plan to send per month initially, Royal Mail would be a good option, but beware that compensation for loss or damage may not be available (depending on how you pay) and tracking is not available unless you use the Tracked service. If you sell higher value items, this may be a serious consideration for you. However, we send thousands of parcels with Royal Mail and the loss/damage rate is very, very low.

Parcel carriers, DPD, ParcelForce, City Link etc will all offer compensation for lost parcels and their tracking services are all excellent.

However, they will price based on volume you send, and initially you may find their prices to be too high. This is where a fulfilment house has a benefit, but also websites like Parcel2Go, Parcel Monkey, Interparcel etc can also be very useful tools as they can offer lower rates for one off or infrequent parcels.

We currently use DPD and the reason is as stated above. Their customer service is excellent and they offer some great technology to track your parcel and allow your customers to track their parcels online and receive notifications.

We probably could get a cheaper service, but the innovative interactions with the customer that DPD offer us mean our own internal customer service questions have dramatically reduced.

With regard to your comments about fulfilment companies, i think you are very wise to take your time. 28 orders a month could easily be handled by yourself, but once you are spending more time packing boxes than you are working on your business, then is the time to look and see if a fulfilment house could be right for you.

Traditionally fulfilment houses will be able to offer you cheaper rates with parcel companies and Royal Mail and allow you to spend time "on your business" rather then "in your business"

You mentions order management software as well. Any good fulfilment house should be able to link their systems to your sales channels, be that eBay, Amazon, Magento etc and this should be free. It is in their interest to get orders from you easily and quickly and not have to mess around with file imports etc.

If you are doing the fulfilment yourself, then you can buy this software at a fixed fee per month and Web Retailer has a directory of some of the best providers for this in it's directory. UK Fulfilment are linked with StoreFeeder.

I hope this is all good advice for you and good luck with your business!!

Ian
UK Fulfilment - Delivering your orders worldwide
MPD
United Kingdom United Kingdom
MPD
Kudos: 38
18 Sep 2014

kokturkster wrote:

Hi, I am in the process of setting up my store and website. I would welcome any postage and delivery solutions. I have had a look at Royal mail and MyHermes. Any recommendations / suggestions will be gratefully received. Thanks in advance
Hi,
I’m Jade from My Parcel Delivery.

As you're planning to send out the orders yourself, you probably need a courier service that makes it as easy and affordable as possible to get the parcels out of the door!

As you're probably finding out, there are a wide range of options when choosing courier services depending on parcel size and weight, parcel value, speed of delivery, getting a pre-printed address label, etc.

To help people choose the right courier service we've got some advice on our blog:

www.myparceldelivery.com/hub/b...cking-the-best-parcel-courier/

And we've also got a handy, quick reference guide you can print off and pin to the wall of your office!

By the time you're sending out a large quantity of parcels, you might want to look at a tool we've created - the Bulk Shipping Tool - for customers sending more than 10 parcels a week, which helps with sending multiple parcels. If you can commit to this minimum volume we can also offer additional benefits and bespoke rates.

Being able to offer different delivery options rather than committing to one courier (and therefore limiting yourself to only one service level for your customer) will give both you and your buyers flexibility when sending and delivering your products.

If you ever need any advice, you can get in touch here

Good luck with your business!

StoreFeeder
World First
Seller Dynamics
ReplyManager