How to track profits on ebay sales

Poster
byrdewear
Kudos: 23
How to track profits on ebay sales
23 Jul 2014
Hi all,
I am new to the community and a found very useful postings here - thank you.

I currently trade on Ebay with a revenue of around £1500/ month and only use paypal for payment. I am looking for a tool that would allow me to insert cost price, sale price, ebay fees, paypal fees and P&P costs so that I can calculate profit in an orderly fashion. Currently, I download paypal history on a monthly basis and insert the ebay fees, P&P costs and cost price manually which is burdensome for 200+ sales.
Subscribed to SellingManagerPro on Ebay which is next to useless.

Any ideas will be most welcome.

Many thanks and kind regards,
Eve
Supplier
UK United Kingdom
daytodayebay
Kudos: 484
Re: How to track profits on ebay sales
25 Jul 2014
Here a simple spreadsheet

Profit Formula

1. Change Paypal or eBay % as you like.
2. Past values from anywhere copy profit formula across all columns

Hope this helps.

Prabhat

[Last edited: 25 Jul 2014]
DaytodayeBay.Your one stop eBay and Amazon Solution Provider
United Kingdom United Kingdom
byrdewear
Kudos: 23
25 Jul 2014
Hi Prabhat,
Thanks for your reply.
Of course, I am using XL spreadsheets at the mo. However, it is getting trickier with more items being sold every month with different cost prices, P&P etc. Is there a software that integrates well with ebay which can do this for me?
Thanks,
Nishan
Supplier
UK United Kingdom
daytodayebay
Kudos: 484
25 Jul 2014
Hi Nishan

It was not obvious from your previous post how you were working.

There are few simple solutions depending on your circumstances like quickbooks, Tradebox. Simple google these to find out more. They all help to integrate you eBay data to accounting / inventory system. It is also best to look at Brightpearl.

You may find it confusing and the best way to go forward is to match your need with the software features plus obviously what you can afford.

PS: I am not affiliated by any of providers mentioned above.
DaytodayeBay.Your one stop eBay and Amazon Solution Provider
Nottingham United Kingdom
Bigian13
Kudos: 2,251
25 Jul 2014
Hi Eve

We were in the very same situation when we first started and found the only way to do it, in a cost effective way, was by entering figures manually in a spreadsheet. Boring and time consuming. It seems that doing it this way, or similar, is the only way to go unless you use some sort of inventory control software.

As we now sell on multiple marketplaces worldwide we have found the easiest way for us is to run a report through our inventory control software, Linnworks, on a weekly basis that gives a cost of sales, VAT on sales and a total sales figure. We then just enter these figures in excel, add the weeks Royal Mail invoice, take off the fees and send to the accountant who is a happy chappy. It also takes about 10 minutes once a week.

There are many other sellers that are in the same boat as you. Maybe one of them has a better way of doing it ? We shall have to see what they come up with.

Regards

Ian
E-commerce , love it or hate it, that's why we are here
Midlothian, VA United States
Jax Music Supply
Kudos: 2,361
26 Jul 2014
I use an overall process to measure my business. I use quickbooks to track inventory and run P&Ls. Each sale I have inserted (I use a macro to create iif files) I prefix the order with the market (eBay, Amazon, Website) with a dash suffixed by the state (if US) or country (non-US). This allows me to track orders by market and location. I do not enter shipping cost on order basis, eBay fees, or paypal fees. These are just entries from my bankstatements. The merchant fees are all the same (percentage) for me and Paypal is flat per transaction with a % of sale, so it is easy to add in. If I need to do a detailed look at shipping I just run a shipping report by SKU from my shipping software. Every couple of months I do a complete look in a spreadsheet were I insert all the costs based on formulas to make sure my per item take is where I need it to be. I also have a dashboard that I use each month that takes the monthly P&L and creates percentages and views to compare against prior year months, measures growth/shrinkage on revenue, looks at how overhead and other expenses are changing over time.
Supplier
South Derbyshire United Kingdom
eBayAnorak
Kudos: 51
29 Jul 2014
Hi

I can recommend what used to be Outright but is now GoDaddy Bookkeeping. It's a few pounds a month, will auto grab eBay sales, paypal payments and all those things you do on a spreadsheet and yu can add all other expenses, upload/download reports csv of bank statements, business credit cards etc

Some of the reports have a dollar sign instead of pound but otherwise for the cost it's gold for the small business and yes I've used it for about 10 years on one account so it's pretty robust.

bookkeeping.godaddy.com/dashboard# if that doesn't work just search for GoDaddy Bookkeeping
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
Kudos: 11,622
29 Jul 2014

eBayAnorak wrote:

I can recommend what used to be Outright but is now GoDaddy Bookkeeping.
Nice recommendation, I didn't realise it worked for UK sellers.

It's in the directory here, or this is the direct link (still Outright.com).

A review would be very welcome
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+

ChannelAdvisor
XSellco
Volo
Selro