Feeling A Little Isolated

Poster
NonScents
Kudos: 106
Feeling A Little Isolated
29 Jul 2014
How do other WebRetailer members deal with being isolated. I'm way down in New Zealand so I'm a long way from most of my potential customers. The cost of shipping to other countries means that my products become too expensive for people to even consider buying off me.

Should I look at trying to find another reseller closer to the big markets to handle my products Bulk shipping to other countries more central to the markets would be one way around it I guess.

What do you guys think
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
Kudos: 11,626
Re: Feeling A Little Isolated
29 Jul 2014
Hi NonScents, great question... even though it sounds a little sad

A reseller would be a good option, but it might be easier to find a fulfillment house closer to your customers. You would ship in bulk to the fulfillment house then they pick, pack and dispatch the individual orders - which you pay them for of course. Amazon's FBA is the best known but there are several others.

Before you jump into something like that, can I ask if you have tested the market in other countries? Do you know that there is demand, and it's just the cost of shipping that's an obstacle?

Just my two cents!
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
Shenzen China Australia
Tim298
Kudos: 446
29 Jul 2014
Hi NonScents,

I was also in this situation when I was selling to the NZ Market, I still do sell in NZ and AUS as well - but now all direct from China - via both partners there and directly on some sites that sell products we have in stock.

From your post it sounds like your products are in NZ - and then you are selling to other markets, then the cost of shipping and logistics make your price unattractive to some of these markets (or less attractive than other options the potential buyers may have). There are some markets where the "Made in NZ" and shipped from NZ really does hold some value for high end buyers.

Some key questions would be:
- Is your product made in NZ, and then sold outside of NZ, there are some interesting ways to sell NZ made products in markets outside of NZ, depending on the nature of the product.
- Is it possible for you to land your product in bulk to a lower cost shipping market with access to more than 1 market to spread your risk? This would be something to consider as you have indicated, having your products handled by a third party for some markets to reduce the costs of single item postage or express shipping from NZ - buyer location.

The main concern would be, are others selling the same product in these focus markets already - how unique is it, the more unique I guess the more attractive it is and the better chance you have to be able to lock in some good sales after setting the supply chain up - need to balance that cost.

If your products are imported into NZ and then you are selling from there, you might consider selling from the point of manufacture.

You have really nailed the two main options - reseller, or bulk ship to a market, but there may be options within these considerations depending on the product, where it is made, what the nature of it is etc...

Good to see another Kiwi on the forum !!
Otago New Zealand
NonScents
29 Jul 2014

Andy wrote:

...Before you jump into something like that, can I ask if you have tested the market in other countries? Do you know that there is demand, and it's just the cost of shipping that's an obstacle?
Thanks Andy
I haven't tested overseas markets other than send samples to various people. They have always been met with enthusiasm. They sell extremely well here on an online auction site where I have sold over 1500 units with many repeat buyers and 99.9% positive feedback.
In short people love the product.

[Last edited by moderator: Shortened quote — 29 Jul 2014]
Otago New Zealand
NonScents
29 Jul 2014

Tim wrote:

...Is your product made in NZ, and then sold outside of NZ, there are some interesting ways to sell NZ made products in markets outside of NZ, depending on the nature of the product.
Good to see another Kiwi on the forum !!
Thanks for the welcome Tim

The product that I sell is unique and was designed by myself. As far as I am aware there is nothing quite like it being sold anywhere.

It uses a 100% natural mineral that is sourced from very high grade deposits here in New Zealand. The container is made from recycled plastic. If used according to the instructions the product will last forever.

I refreshes itself when left in fresh air and sunlight for 12-24 hours

It removes odours from the air it has no odour or scent of its own. It does not mask or hide odours it removes them through a natural scientific process.

It is now known that some artificial fragrances are more toxic than second hand cigarette smoke so the health benefits are obvious.

Coming from a Country that is seen as being clean and green is also a bonus.

Cheers

[Last edited by moderator: Shortened quote — 29 Jul 2014]
Shenzen China Australia
Tim298
Kudos: 446
30 Jul 2014
@NonScents
Oh, well, I want one/some sounds amazing!

You seem like you have a unique product and brand that could sell from NZ, despite price if the market you are entering into is accessing the high end buyer. I sell a lot on discount and low sales sites - but I know there is a huge demand for unique / safe / made in NZ products in China for example, and via Alibaba Tmall Global - accessing these markets is easier with the right people involved.

I hope you can find interested buyers in various markets - then figuring the supply chain will be easier, but it seems, make it in NZ - send it to the market that you have the most interest from in bulk and deliver locally post sale seems like the plan you already have.

I agree though, it can be real tough being isolated, I guess its key to try to focus on the benefits, I get down when I see so many people selling the same things I sell (if that helps...)

Cheers
Midlothian, VA United States
Jax Music Supply
Kudos: 2,372
31 Jul 2014
Keep researching for ways to reduce your overhead and shipping costs. We ship worldwide, including NZ from the US. You can do this. If the product is good enough it will work out.

Xpress Lister
2nd Office
ChannelAdvisor
XSellco