Any advice on the best way to list lots of items?

Poster
rangerdeb
Kudos: 242
Any advice on the best way to list lots of items?
5 Aug 2014
If anyone knows of an easier way to generate listings - I'd love to hear. I have lots and lots of items but listing them is slow and time-consuming. Does anyone have any advice on the best way to approach listings? eBay has now put a link where you can place "drafts," which I feel will be helpful.

For those of you more experienced, I would appreciate your advice and any pointers.

Thanks!
Deb
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
Kudos: 11,622
Re: Any advice on the best way to list lots of items?
5 Aug 2014
Thanks for the post Deb

It would be useful to know a little more about what you sell etc. I'll summarise what I know here, and ask a few questions.

I've taken a look at your eBay and Etsy stores, and can see you sell car decals. In another post, you said you also sell on Bonanza. Here are the questions:

• How are you creating listings now? Using the eBay Sell Your Item page? What takes the most time? Item specifics, descriptions, photos?
  • How important are the different marketplaces to you in terms of sales?
  • Software will likely be part of the solution, have you tried any tools already? I see you use the Auctiva cross-selling gallery.
  • Can you get your product data in a spreadsheet format, maybe from your suppliers?

• Sorry for all the questions, but your answers should be a big help!
    Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
    Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
    Texas United States
    rangerdeb
    5 Aug 2014
    @Andy

Right now on eBay, I use the sell your item feature. On Bonanza, I can import any existing listings from Etsy or eBay. It's creating the original listings, photographs, research, etc. I have a world of antique and vintage books and other items, including automotive accessories and owners manuals. Maybe there is no way to have a short cut on these things, but I need to list more, faster than I currently am and was wondering if anyone had advice in this area that might help me.
    Andy
    5 Aug 2014
    For items with UPCs or other product codes if you can get the inventory data into a spreadsheet you should be able to streamline the process a lot.

But it sounds like you also have lots of unique items. For those, I'm thinking you can document your existing process, then look at each part of it individually and consider if you can modify it, outsource it or get a helper. I've worked in process improvement (but not in retail) and a lot of it comes down to following a process, making small changes, then seeing what happens to the overall amount of work getting done - then repeat!

But I think you are looking for advice that's more practical, so I'll leave it to others now. Perhaps a seller of collectibles could help here?
    Midlothian, VA United States
    Jax Music Supply
    Kudos: 2,361
    5 Aug 2014
    What tool are you using? I find SixBit helpful in creating listings as I can create standard templates, shipping costs, etc., that populate most of what I need. I have about 1700 listings with new stuff added each week.
    Texas United States
    rangerdeb
    5 Aug 2014
    @Jax Music Supply Hello - thank you! I don't have a clue what SixBit is, but I will be doing a search for that to see. I appreciate the suggestion and I am definitely going to check it out.

Thank you very much!
    Texas United States
    rangerdeb
    5 Aug 2014
    @Andy Thank you, Andy. I appreciate your help - I have received also a response from Jax Music and I will be looking into what he suggested as well. A big thank you to both of you for responding to my plea for help!
    Andy
    5 Aug 2014
    You're welcome Deb

You can find Jax's recommendation SixBit in our software directory.
    Texas United States
    rangerdeb
    6 Aug 2014
    @Andy Andy - thank you - again! You guys are awesome!
    Supplier
    UK United Kingdom
    daytodayebay
    Kudos: 484
    6 Aug 2014
    A simple tool is TurboLister should work OK in this case. Most of the fields can be pre-filled and all we need to do is change title, images, description, price and sku.
    DaytodayeBay.Your one stop eBay and Amazon Solution Provider
    Supplier
    Manchester United Kingdom
    Dave - UnderstandingE
    Kudos: 82
    6 Aug 2014
    Hey Deb,

Listing can be really time consuming so the easiest answer here is Software.

Any type of software which will aid with automation of listings is ideal. There are some advanced / expensive software such as Channel Advisor or free services such as TurboLister or even just excel can help loads.

The key is finding out which one will work best for you. I have spent the last year working on a solution using Magento community edition and a free extension called M2E Pr.

My best advice really is to research listing software and pick the one which best suits your business, but ultimately the automation or listing creation is what your looking for.

Dave
    UnderstandingE - Multi-Channel Software doesn't have to be expensive
    Texas United States
    rangerdeb
    6 Aug 2014
    @Dave - UnderstandingE

Dave, thank you very much! I am grateful for your suggestions and advice and realize I have a bit of research to do in the software ideas. Each one of you has been so helpful.

Thank you for taking the time the respond to my plea for help! Everyone has been awesome in pitching in and offering a hand. I can't thank you enough!

Kindest regards,
    Deb
    Texas United States
    rangerdeb
    6 Aug 2014
    @DayToDayEbay

Thank you! I appreciate everyone who has responded, taking the time out of their busy schedules to respond to my pleas for help! I cannot thank you enough. Once I get my research down and get started with one of these, I'll let you know what I finally decided upon.

@everyone - thank you again! I appreciate your support and advice!

Kindest regards,
    Deb
    Supplier
    Manchester United Kingdom
    Dave - UnderstandingE
    Kudos: 82
    6 Aug 2014
    @rangerdeb

Great stuff Deb, your more than welcome, I look forward to seeing what you find and yea, please let us know which way you think works best for you

Dave
    UnderstandingE - Multi-Channel Software doesn't have to be expensive
    Texas United States
    rangerdeb
    6 Aug 2014
    @Dave - UnderstandingE

Dave - I certainly will! Each of you has encouraged me to brave software! Thank you very much for the support and encouragement!

Deb

Sellware
    Ad-Lister
    Xpress Lister
    2nd Office