Promises, Promises

Poster
admin
Kudos: 47
starstardim stardim stardim star
Promises, Promises
6 Aug 2014
We took on Solid Commerce earlier this year, after an extensive search.

There were a lot of promises that looked awfully good. Quickbooks integration, multiple marketplaces...

The full story is a little different. Setup costs are quite high considering what you get for it. When you read their pricing, make sure you read it correctly- your rate goes down on the amount OVER the initial price, not as a whole. Minor details.

In short, there are no help docs. You have to talk to your manager, who may/may not be available even on a critical issue. Setting up takes weeks because you have one hour calls with them. The shipping setup never worked. Ever. We skipped it. Adding products to multiple marketplaces is possible, but it can be messy.

You have to be a .csv samurai to use this software. Uploading your products in bulk takes a .csv upload that you configure, it's not automatic. If you have two websites, you have to open a second account, and take data from that and move it to the other one regularly.

Quickbooks integration isn't integration. It's another .csv which you must manually import. That was a big selling point for us, and an export/import doesn't mean integration. We never used that, either.

Overall, SC has the IDEA, but they don't have the interface. I would venture to say it was just as easy to do things manually as use their solution. The only thing it did well was keep inventory on track- oh, and our account manager was real nice.
Tucson, AZ United States
PaulKemp
Re: Promises, Promises
12 Aug 2014
My requirements were a little different, so I'd like to take the time to paint a slightly different picture. I'm not discounting the review, merely noting that while it didn't suit their business, it could work for yours.

Several months ago, I vetted just about every single multi-channel solution out there. I was on sales calls a few times a week over a month long period and constantly comparing and contrasting between the many options. Solid Commerce had the perfect feature set and seemed the least full of it out its competitors, so they won our business. (I would like to add a caveat to that: the SureDone team and Ralph at EdaptIT were awesome throughout the entire process, and I hated not being able to team up with them. They definitely deserve consideration from anyone looking to proceed down this path.)

First: We have a physical warehouse and about 15,000 products in stock at any given time.

At the time, we existed only on eBay, had no true inventory system, no SKU system, no database, and were operating in semi-organized chaos. We wanted to fix the obvious issues above and expand to other marketplaces.

We have since expanded to Amazon, Google Shopping, and recently launched our webstore. All inventory is centrally managed by Solid Commerce with quantity accurately updated across every market in near real time. Not only would none of that be possible without their software, it's also enabled us to identify many underlying issues in our overall system that were land mines waiting to explode in our face.

I can't directly respond to @admin regarding their Quickbooks integration, because we don't use it. However, they haven't failed to deliver on any of the promises made to us, and I certainly don't feel misled on any front.

Further, I don't agree with the notion that you need to be an Excel guru to use SC (doesn't hurt though). It does demand basic knowledge, competency, and an eye for detail to take full advantage of its power. And yes, you will be crawling around in spreadsheets a whole whole lot.

Ultimately, SC is just a tool. It's not a magical box that will solve all of your problems. It's only as good as the work you put into it, and believe me, it is a ton at first. I absolutely would not recommend anyone jumping into a project like this unless you have a dedicated team or tons of free time (which you shouldn't). You'll just be setting yourself up for failure.

If anyone stumbles across this and has any questions, feel free to contact me. (I assume there is a PM function here). I'm more than happy provide all the information I can, because I know how overwhelming this all is in the beginning.
United States United States
admin
13 Aug 2014
Fair enough- we weren't looking for a "magic box". We already sold across multiple channels and have 12 years selling online, so this wasn't taken lightly or entered blindly. I guess if you had no system previously, SC does look attractive.

The system we use now is integrated-truly-meaning we don't have to crawl .csv sheets and upload them regularly. That is the definition of an integrated system.

If you're a beginner looking to expand channels, SC might be an answer. With the availability of more robust solutions for a close price, however, I don't know why you would go in that direction.
Tucson, AZ United States
PaulKemp
13 Aug 2014
And Admin, I wasn't directing the "magic box" comment toward you. I meant it as more of a general warning to anyone going this direction for the first time.

Your second paragraph has my attention. What are you using now and how does it work exactly?

I'd love to compare notes sometime if you ever feel inclined.
eric434
Kudos: 15
13 Aug 2014
Paul Kemp
We have been working on setting up Solid Commerce for the past 20 days. I am new to multi channel selling and I am trying to get all the systems in place to have a platform that will grow with our sales. I have recently encountered a problem that I have been unable to solve and my account manager is telling me it is not possible, however that seems to contradict logic and the little bit of support documents that do exist. I am hoping you can provide some insight considering the number of items that you manage. We have quite a bit of inventory and we have new inventory coming in all the time. We initially set up all the products to have a bin location and some items we have so many that it may overflow into another bin location. So here is the problem. Once you have more than one location for the same item with the same SKU, SC assigns a different warehouse id to each item. I have selected that the products match by SKU within the marketplace setup, however it appears to have no effect. The different quantities from each location are visible on the line within the marketplace but the total quantity does not sync to the "lp" or the available marketplace quantity. It will only display the last imported quantity. My account manager is telling me that it is not possible to have multiple locations assigned to the same item and have the total qty sync to the marketplace. The problem arises when you may, for example, have ten rolls of blue toilet paper assigned to bin 1 and that bin is full. You then receive a shipment of 50 rolls of blue toilet paper and want to assign it to an open bin. My account manager is telling me that I need to leave more space for this scenario and look up the location when the extra inventory arrives in the warehouse and make sure I leave enough room for it so I can add it to that location. That is just a simple example with one item. The problem is that I have thousands of items in multiple quantities and shipments arrive daily. I know the SC platform supports multiple locations for the same item but if what he is telling me is true and the warehouse quantities are not capable of syncing to the multiple marketplaces, what is the purpose of offering multiple locations? Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. I have wasted a considerable amount of time on this. Thanks
admin
13 Aug 2014
@PaulKemp

We are using EVP by Etail Solutions. They are not a widely known company but strong on volume and Amazon as a marketplace. They are currently in development with other channels and integrations. It is not a cheap solution- we're looking at it long term. One of their best features is full integration with drop shippers, of whom we use two.

When we add stock to the program, it is automatically uploaded to Amazon and Ebay. You can set safety stock, etc. When you run out, those listings no longer run. Their repricer is strong- you can set floors and ceilings, in bulk or singularly. We have moved from 2000 skus to 22,000 as of today.
Tucson, AZ United States
PaulKemp
13 Aug 2014
@eric

Shoot me an email at zackery.pierce@gmail.com
Report review abuse

Selro
StoreFeeder
World First
Seller Dynamics