What If Your Products Are Too Good

Poster
NonScents
Kudos: 106
What If Your Products Are Too Good
17 Aug 2014
I sell my products mostly online either from my website or on a local auction site. I recently had a potential customer accuse me of manipulating the feedback on the auction site. She said that there has to be something wrong if everybody gives it positive feedback. As far as she is concerned there is nothing so good that everybody likes it and that I must be altering the feedback myself.

Some of my customers have had thousands of trades so to think that I change their feedback would mean that I had to have placed all of those buyers previous feedbacks which of course is ridiculous.

She runs a mouse forum so she then announced to all of the members that I was a fraud and not to buy my products.

Its great to have something that sells but people like this can do a lot of damage just through their own ignorance.
Midlothian, VA United States
Jax Music Supply
Kudos: 2,387
Re: What If Your Products Are Too Good
19 Aug 2014
@NonScents

Unless this person is a MAJOR influencer, it won't effect much. If your product is needed and a good value, your word of mouth will out weigh the negative.
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
Kudos: 11,661
20 Aug 2014
@NonScents I'm really sorry to hear about that, and although it's an unpleasant thing to happen, as Jax says it might not have a real impact.

The internet is full of product hype, so I can understand how people get cynical. But it's not right to behave like that when they don't even have first-hand experience of your product.
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
Otago New Zealand
NonScents
20 Aug 2014

Andy wrote:

@NonScents I'm really sorry to hear about that, and although it's an unpleasant thing to happen, as Jax says it might not have a real impact.

The internet is full of product hype, so I can understand how people get cynical. But it's not right to behave like that when they don't even have first-hand experience of your product.

Thanks Andy

She mentioned my product by name which was concerning. And then demanded that I tell everyone what was in my product. She also ridiculed statements I made on my website, so I provided her with proof as to how it worked via a post on the groups forum. She then put me into moderation so that she could withhold my response and prevent my answers to her accusations being read by the forum members.

I'm sure what she was doing is illegal in the USA but being in New Zealand there is not a lot I can do.
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
Kudos: 11,661
20 Aug 2014
It sounds to me like there's nothing you can say or do that would convince this person. They just sound like a basket case! (or if you don't know that phrase - nuts!)

If there's something positive to be made out of the situation, it might be to take a really detached look at your site and see if there is anything in there that would benefit from additional explanation or proof of some kind.

This person has had an unreasonably strong reaction but there may be others who just need more to convince them that what you've got is genuine and effective. Like the "and now for the science" part of beauty product TV ads.

I don't know if I'm helping here, do let me know.
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
Otago New Zealand
NonScents
20 Aug 2014

Andy wrote:

It sounds to me like there's nothing you can say or do that would convince this person. They just sound like a basket case! (or if you don't know that phrase - nuts!)

If there's something positive to be made out of the situation, it might be to take a really detached look at your site and see if there is anything in there that would benefit from additional explanation or proof of some kind.

This person has had an unreasonably strong reaction but there may be others who just need more to convince them that what you've got is genuine and effective. Like the "and now for the science" part of beauty product TV ads.

I don't know if I'm helping here, do let me know.
Thanks for the great advice Andy I hadn't thought about that.
Cheers

ChannelAdvisor
XSellco
Volo
Selro