Social Commerce

Poster
Phoenix, AZ United States
ShopTab
Kudos: 53
Social Commerce
20 Aug 2014
Hi everyone!

I'd like to get some more opinions about social commerce (selling through social networks as opposed to selling on traditional e-commerce sites). I work for a social commerce company called ShopTab (www.shoptab.net) and we give businesses the ability to create stores within their Facebook business pages. We've seen a lot of change social selling recently (i.e. Facebook testing the "Buy Now" button to their advertising platform), and I'm curious about what you think the future of social selling will look like.

Where do you see social commerce heading in the next year?

Do any of you use social commerce platforms or solutions to sell on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, etc?

Thanks- looking forward to your thoughts.
Supplier
Marina Del Rey, CA United States
Solid Commerce
Kudos: 250
Re: Social Commerce
30 Sep 2014
Hi there, @ShopTab.

I do content marketing at Solid Commerce, which is an eCommerce multi-channel solution provider.

Basically, this means that I'm more an expert on social media than I am on eCommerce - though I work in both fields equally, just about.

Honestly, I don't think we're going to see too terribly much growth when it comes to "social commerce" as you're describing it.

I say this based on taking a look at some of the examples we've already got:

- Remember Twitter's music program? Neither do most people. They briefly launched an in-network music service that didn't take off and was quietly shuttered before anybody knew what to do with it.

- Pinterest has been interested in more directly integrating eCommerce into its platform for a while, but this has totally failed to catch on.

- Twitter has also taken steps to directly integrate a type of "buy it now" function that has failed to catch on.

I think the reasons behind these results are pretty simple: people don't feel like they need to be buying stuff on their social networks. They already have plenty of places to do that. And even if they really DO want to buy stuff when they're on social networks, most of them are so packed with ads that whatever you want to buy (because trust me, if you want to buy it, it'll be there in the sidebar of your social network of choice, endlessly remarketed to you) is just a click or two away -- at most -- anyway.

In a more simple way, I think it just boils down to a case of people not really wanting to get any social networking mixed in with their online shopping and vice-versa.
Supplier
Phoenix, AZ United States
ShopTab
Kudos: 53
30 Sep 2014
Good insight, @Solid Commerce

I just read an interesting article about this yesterday actually: www.emarketer.com/Article/How-...merce-More-Appealing/1011231/1

The article notes that just 5% of internet users have made purchases via social media. Seems like a low number, but I expect this number to increase as e-commerce overall takes a larger chunk of all retail sales. The reason we built ShopTab for Facebook is because Facebook crushes Twitter, Pinterest and other social sites for social sales, and the numbers continue to increase.

And although the primary purpose of Facebook is to serve as a social platform (people don't come to Facebook to shop), we've seen that purpose start to transform over time, particularly in countries outside of the US where more and more small businesses are using Facebook as a storefront.

Facebook is continuing to experiment with their "Buy" button... I wonder if they'll have any success. You made some good points with Twitter and Pinterest. Social selling just hasn't quite had the traction it needs within networks to become a major market for buyers and sellers. That said, I think the 5% mentioned above will continue to increase.
Supplier
Ahmedabad, Gujarat India
erikathomson
Kudos: 173
15 Sep 2015
I would like to add some pros and cons on selling through social media:
Firstly Pros:

Cheaper marketing tactic
Some social media sites allow you to list products for free and charges your a nominal amount, only when your receive a sale.

Improve SEO ranking
It takes a lot of time, effort and cost to increase your brand and product ranking in search engines. Selling through social media, there are more chances of getting more click-through rate compared to sponsored ads.

Immediate support
Social media channels allow business owners to respond almost instantly via real-time chat and messages, helping you boom customer service.

Cons:

No fixed returns on investment

Sales volume generated today, may not be the same tomorrow when selling through social media channels. The rapid change in customer’s demands, make it difficult to quantify the return in investments and the importance of one channel over another.

I hope this post help.
New Jersey United States
sujjal
Kudos: 171
17 Sep 2015
I totally agree with Solid Commerce. Social commerce is not very convincing. People are not willing to mix up their experience of social media with the eCommerce. Social media is to get entertained and be updated with the family, friends and community. There are already many eCommerce websites available to purchase things. Top of it, some store owner also have their own online store to buy things from. If social media will have eCommerce too then everything on the internet will be eCommerce and people will get fade up by seeings same things over and over again and again. That's why all major social media platform like twitter and Pinterest withdraws the idea of eCommerce integration on their platform. So for me, social commerce is not the future of eCommerce.
eCommerce Consultant

ReplyManager
Sellware
Ad-Lister
Xpress Lister