eBay sellers - has the new defect rate affected you?

Poster
Tracy
Kudos: 82
eBay sellers - has the new defect rate affected you?
27 Aug 2014
Hi all, this is my first post! Would love to hear your thoughts

eBay's new transaction defect rate took effect one week ago, with the August 20 "seller evaluation".

How did it affect you? If you had Top Rated Seller status did you manage to keep it?
Tracy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
United States United States
appchicken
Kudos: 43
Re: eBay sellers - has the new defect rate affected you?
28 Aug 2014

Tracy wrote:

eBay's new transaction defect rate took effect one week ago, with the August 20 "seller evaluation".

How did it affect you? If you had Top Rated Seller status did you manage to keep it?
Yes and no, I lost top seller because of not uploading tracking. The new rules are so restrictive we want a good buyer experience but cannot be perfect.
Herts, England United Kingdom
Tracy
28 Aug 2014
@appchicken Thanks for joining and posting

Sorry to hear you lost TRS. Are you aiming to get it back?
Leicestershire United Kingdom
Crucial Music
Kudos: 124
28 Aug 2014
@Tracy For the past few months I have been trying to get my defect rate to under 2% Finally on August 20th I was 2.07 & I have probably spent 24 hours in total arguing each case with a CS representative who, although, sympathetic, was not empowered to be flexible. I lost my TRS. The day after I tried again and managed this time to argue my case so my defect rate went down to 1.86. I now have to get back on the phone and ask for a re-instatement of TRS The waiting times for phone calls to CS has been around 20 minutes, a clear sign that the complaints are pouring in. I have had many years in the offline retail trade with High Street shops followed by nearly 15 years on eBay with FOUR different accounts one of which has 100% feedback, DSRs of 4.9 and 5 Customer service is my aim every sale. I learned my customer service standard as I built my business and I won't be "educated" by eBay's attempt to morph into another Amazon. Defects are UNFAIR and a heavy handed tool especially as they go back 12 months to a time when we, sellers ,were not instructed by eBay as to which type of return to select to avoid defects (because they had not been invented then, of course) For buyers, of course, who were promised that their DSRs would not be revealed to sellers, it is a similar story as we can now see how buyers have "punished" us with low DSRs. They have been let down as well Oh and why does eBay not allow us to leave defects for eBay itself? I wonder? Thanks Tracy I think you touched a nerve with that subject
Tracy
28 Aug 2014
Thanks for posting @Crucial Music, that sounds like a complete nightmare but well done getting back on course.

Are you going to stick with eBay? All that battling on the phone must leave a sour taste in the mouth
Midlothian, VA United States
Jax Music Supply
Kudos: 2,358
28 Aug 2014
It has not affected us yet - we are still TRS. The USPS verification will be an issues, especially during the holidays.
Texas United States
rangerdeb
Kudos: 242
29 Aug 2014
@Crucial Music

Since my sales are down, my defect rate captured sales from the previous 12 months. If not for that, my defect rate would have been considerably lower than 0.23%. Also, requiring proof of shipment, i.e., uploading tracking and having it "verified" by any scan along the way ? This has forced me to incur a minimum of $2.50 for every item I sell 3 oz. or under, just to prove the tracking. And, if the package doesn't get scanned that really leaves me in a lurch as well. Customers have, in the past, used that to say they didn't receive an item and request another or a refund and leaving less than a 5-star rating. Right now I am still at TRS but I check it constantly wondering when the other shoe is going to drop. Most of my items are decals on eBay, so the minimum of $2.50 per sale really affects my profits.
mikestage
Kudos: 21
13 Sep 2014
I have gone from a TRS to above average. Of the ten defects I have, eight are out my control and two were from a buyer who claimed a pair of $20 Ralph Lauren shoes were fakes. I have been on the phone many times with customer service and two of the defects were slated to be removed, but after five follow UPS they are still there. Even though I call and they can see the notes on my account promising removal they still give me a hard time and they don't get removed. Two defects are for shipping issues, even though the items were received by the buyer two days after purchase. It is an impossible situation and ebay is completely unreasonable. It has impacted my bottom line given the loss of my 20% discount that I have had for 11 years. I have given up. What's the point of stressing when it is completely out of my control.
I simply give my customers the best products at the best prices in the least amount of time. I accept returns for any reason, and have great feedback. What more can I do?
Tracy
15 Sep 2014
@mikestage welcome to the forum

So sorry to hear about the loss of TRS and your discount. It sounds like you have great customer support and have been through it all with eBay so unfortunately I agree it sounds like there's nothing more to be done
United Kingdom United Kingdom
purpledragon1
Kudos: 37
15 Sep 2014

Tracy wrote:

We've pretty much given up on top rated seller status . we are a company that produces photo gifts your face on a mug that kind of thing. we are only small and theres no way we can meet the demands that ebay have put on us to gain top rated seller . ebay are so unfair in how they work, im sure its all been said before but the feed back system is ridiculous and heavily weighted on the buyers behalf even if they are blatantly wrong im of the firm belief ebay would like to see the back of small businesses like ours and have the big firms only
NPW
NPW
Kudos: 21
15 Sep 2014
YES! So much so that ebay stripped us from selling!
Ebay closed our store and stopped us from selling due to USPS not delivering items or updating tracking! A complete nightmare!

We wonder how may other sellers have had their stores closed?

Tracking was uploaded on all items since we use the print shipping label directly on ebay.

We sent customers second shipments and tracking proved this but ebay told us the defect rate is based on the original tracking number not on the second one!
They said they will look into the cases and we may be able to get the defect rate down and they might be able to let us sell again. Not very helpful at all. They will lose thousands of dollars a year from us and we will lose more
They even told us we should not ship with USPS and use someone else!
If they do not reinstate we will file a lawsuit
banta
Kudos: 24
16 Sep 2014
@Tracy Hello,we have a power seller status and have had for a long while.Ebay contacted me and made a story about my account being connected with 2 unknown accounts that actually dont exist..They cancelled all our items for sale and stopped us selling for good!This was not long after asking me to agree to all their new selling ideas to which i did not sign up for..
Tracy
16 Sep 2014
@purpledragon1 @NPW @banta so sorry to hear your horror stories

@banta did you find out if it was a technical glitch or something malicious like hacking?
banta
Kudos: 24
17 Sep 2014
@Tracy No Tracy this is all down to ebay making up 2 fake accounts to simply shut down our selling .This is all due to i would not sign up to their new sellers ideas ..eg send an item ,after buyer has used and gets bored they simply file a claim,ebay refunds and the buyer does not even have to return the item!!!
Supplier
Marina Del Rey, CA United States
Solid Commerce
Kudos: 250
30 Sep 2014
Whoa - it seems like the new seller rating system is seriously messing with sellers and their statuses on eBay.

Does it seem safe to say that the majority of sellers are unhappy with the new defect rate? I know that eBay created it with the intention of protecting sellers from abuse and other unpleasantries...

World First
Seller Dynamics
ReplyManager
Sellware