Free Language Translation Tools ?

Poster
UK United Kingdom
daytodayebay
Kudos: 484
Free Language Translation Tools ?
10 Sep 2014
Has anyone got experience with any free Language Translation tools for eBay / Amazon. I am aware there are plenty around. Thought I should go with one recommended here to save bit of time trailing each one.

www.doctranslate.net/ Sounds good for me !
DaytodayeBay.Your one stop eBay and Amazon Solution Provider
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
Kudos: 11,661
Re: Free Language Translation Tools ?
10 Sep 2014
Good question Prabhat

I know a couple of sellers (not naming names!) who use Google Translate for foreign language customer service - both the questions coming in and their responses back out.

Machine translation like Google Translate rarely reads naturally and leaves a lot to interpretation in my experience, so I was surprised that they used it and found it worked well.

... the tool you linked to looks interesting. Do you know if its completely free or do you have to pay Google API fees?

[Last edited: 10 Sep 2014]
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
Supplier
UK United Kingdom
daytodayebay
Kudos: 484
10 Sep 2014
Hi Andy, As far as I am ware there is free downloadable tool for use. Perhaps they will introduce paid version in future but does worth a try.
DaytodayeBay.Your one stop eBay and Amazon Solution Provider
London United Kingdom
Matt Thorpe
Kudos: 204
15 Oct 2014
I haven't heard of any good free translation tools. The problem is that there are so many variations in product phrases and the ton of voice can obviously be a problem.

I have used a company call Translated.net to do product translations for Amazon. These guys are based in Denmark, are pretty good and affordable. If you are translating for your online store then it's work getting it right, otherwise you will look amateurish.

Hope this helps.

Matt Thorpe
E-Commerce & Online Marketing Consultant
Grasshopperuk.com
Nottingham United Kingdom
Bigian13
Kudos: 2,316
1 Jan 2015
We are one of the 'guilty parties' that use Google Translate to help with our international selling.

It is primarily used for answering customer questions. You can generally get the idea what the customer is asking and the answers are usually acceptable.

I think that the main reason that we can get away with using it is that Europeans know that the British are considered terrible at foreign languages and therefore they give us a bit of slack when it comes to communicating in their language.

Out of several thousand messages we have only had one who asked us to communicate in English as he could not understand the German translation.

Ian
E-commerce , love it or hate it, that's why we are here
UK United Kingdom
Linguagloss
Kudos: 57
8 Apr 2015
Google Translate should not be used for customer-facing content. Have a read of my blog here to find our why: www.linguagloss.com/?p=213

In fact, no machine translation system is yet good enough for customer-facing content unless it has been edited by a human being. One Japanese publishing company even bankrupted itself by using it: japan-translators.saeculii.com...machine-translation-bankruptcy

Let me know what you think.

Ad-Lister
Xpress Lister
2nd Office
ChannelAdvisor