What's your biggest frustration at the moment?

Poster
Tracy
Kudos: 82
What's your biggest frustration at the moment?
10 Sep 2014
Hey all, thanks for the replies to my first question

I'm helping out here a little while Andy works on the techie stuff... so I've got another question for you today

I don't like to focus on the negative, but sometimes you have to think about the things that bother you - either just to make you feel better or so you can do something about them!

So what's causing you grief at the moment? Is there some part of selling you wish you didn't have to do, or an obstacle in the way that really shouldn't be there? Let me know!
Tracy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
Arizona United States
michael694
Kudos: 44
Re: What's your biggest frustration at the moment?
10 Sep 2014
@Tracy Finding an employee whi is honest and does not exaggerate their experience level.
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
Kudos: 11,664
10 Sep 2014

michael694 wrote:

@Tracy Finding an employee whi is honest and does not exaggerate their experience level.
Hiring staff is really hard. I think some people have an "underdog" mindset about employment so no matter what size your business is, they see you as the big rich boss and themselves as the exploited worker. So that makes it OK in their minds to oversell themselves to get the job, to be dishonest etc.

I know a successful seller who likes to take on mothers of young children on a part-time basis - they have an eye for detail, are keen to concentrate on work for a change, and need the money! That's what he says anyway
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
United Kingdom United Kingdom
purpledragon1
Kudos: 37
15 Sep 2014

Tracy wrote:

Hey all, thanks for the replies to my first question

I'm helping out here a little while Andy works on the techie stuff... so I've got another question for you today

I don't like to focus on the negative, but sometimes you have to think about the things that bother you - either just to make you feel better or so you can do something about them!

So what's causing you grief at the moment? Is there some part of selling you wish you didn't have to do, or an obSo what's causing you grief at the moment? Is there some part of selling you wish you didn't have to do, or an obstacle in the way that really shouldn't be there? Let me know!
where to spend my extremely tight marketing budget. Knowing what actually works can be a nightmare one of our items we sell is a photo cushion with not a huge mark up on them so i have to work out a cost over income sheet for advertising . theres not much point investing a grand on advertising if it only earns you £900. and when you talk to someone they will all swear blind their system is the best . real life experiance would be invalublE

[Last edited: 15 Sep 2014]
Tracy
Kudos: 82
15 Sep 2014
@purpledragon1 welcome and thanks for posting

Marketing comes up time and time again as a really hard challenge. We've been putting together some resources on it recently like:

www.webretailer.com/lean-commerce/marketing-web-store/
www.webretailer.com/forum/3781...pert-ecommerce-advertising.asp

There's definitely more we could do though.
Tracy Geldman, Web Retailer
purpledragon1
Kudos: 37
15 Sep 2014

Tracy wrote:

@purpledragon1 welcome and thanks for posting

Marketing comes up time and time again as a really hard challenge. We've been putting together some resources on it recently like:

www.webretailer.com/lean-commerce/marketing-web-store/
www.webretailer.com/forum/3781...pert-ecommerce-advertising.asp

There's definitely more we could do though.
I think where the uncertainty lies is theres nothing that you can trust which says "i did this and it defiantly worked" one SEO expert who promised me top slot front page of google found it a little difficult to answer me when i said i want my photo mugs on front page theres thousands of us out there who do this how can you gaurantee i would get front page (i was being a little awkward but cold callers annoy me ) his answer was "well we take another of your items and promote that" surly that defeats the object !!
i supose what i need is another business owner in my sector to come to me and say "Brett i did this and it worked heres the proof to back it up" i doubt that will ever happen oh well one can only hope
MPD
MPD
Kudos: 38
16 Sep 2014

purpledragon1 wrote:

I think where the uncertainty lies is theres nothing that you can trust which says "i did this and it defiantly worked" one SEO expert who promised me top slot front page of google found it a little difficult to answer me when i said i want my photo mugs on front page theres thousands of us out there who do this how can you gaurantee i would get front page (i was being a little awkward but cold callers annoy me ) his answer was "well we take another of your items and promote that" surly that defeats the object !!
i supose what i need is another business owner in my sector to come to me and say "Brett i did this and it worked heres the proof to back it up" i doubt that will ever happen oh well one can only hope
Have you tried Google Analytics? I'm not trying to teach you to suck eggs but my clients have always found that with appropriate filters and configurations, GA really helped us to work out where we were getting the most brand awareness and how we were attracting traffic to our sites.

To me and my job - I work in PR - Google Analytics has been invaluable and has helped my clients focus on where best to invest in marketing.

Every business is different, but no matter how big or small, no matter budget sizes, all businesses have to take part in a bit of trial and error when it comes to marketing and customer retention - it's evaluating the results of each campaign or banner ad based on GA reports that is what helps establish a good marketing technique.

Oh - and it's free!

[Last edited by moderator: Shortened quote — 16 Sep 2014]
Midlothian, VA United States
Jax Music Supply
Kudos: 2,387
17 Sep 2014
The biggest challenge for me continues to be marketing of my website. I do well on marketplaces, good automation, etc. However, I have trouble understanding how the various PPC vs PLA works, and a myriad of other services people try to sell me. I have 2 hours tomorrow to a couple of seminars that I hope will give me a better understanding of some of these issues.
Andy
Kudos: 11,664
23 Sep 2014
@Jax Music Supply How did the seminars go Jack? I'm guessing one was Go Data Feed, what was the other?
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
London United Kingdom
Matt Thorpe
Kudos: 204
15 Oct 2014
@purpledragon1 I get companies contacting me every day asking if I want to be top of Google 'fast'! The funny thing is that I actually do a lot of SEO work for clients and I even promote this on my site. This is how dumb these guys are. They don't even check who you are or what you do. They just blanket spam. A lot of the UK-based SEO guys are shady too if I'm honest. Especially when they don't tell you what they are doing or plan to do.

My approach is to educate clients so they understand it and do it themselves. After all, what is the point in paying someone to do something if you can't learn it yourself at the same time?

Anyhow, SEO is a bit of a science but top rankings are achievable. If you are a small business then you need to be clever. The most popular terms such as 'photo mugs' will probably be taken by all the big guys in the industry like Moonpig, Photobox, etc. However, if you use Google's Free Keyword you can identify some longer phrases that are more targeted and have less competition to rank. You can also use tools like 'Soovle' to find more phrases people use to search.

The longer the phrase, the less the competition. This also means there are less people searching for it BUT it also means that the customer is more targeted and you have the best chance of securing a sales.

Hope this helps.

Matt Thorpe
E-Commerce & Online Marketing Consultant
Grasshopperuk.com
Newcastle Australia
Thomasservices
Kudos: 48
16 Oct 2014
Hi Tracy,

Well from an Australian context, our biggest frustration is trying to introduce to the market all the e business services we want to.

A lot of this is very manually oriented in Australia still. Several e services like e marketing, which can be related to the global market, have taken us most of 2014 to set up correctly due to supplier delays.

This is one example.

The way we have overcome these frustrations and delays is by collaborating with the suppliers to ensure a first class e service is available to customers online.

Thanks.

Steven
Indiana United States
cricketlady
Kudos: 54
21 Oct 2014
EBAY! I want to have my own website and put things on etsy and put things on amazon but don't have the time to do this all manually.

I know all about building websites myself with wordpress and SEO. But not with real carts and such. I've tried magneto and that was such a waste of my time. Is there any software or third party that can help with that?

I sell vintage items so every item is different.

Thanks
Michelle
London United Kingdom
Matt Thorpe
Kudos: 204
21 Oct 2014
Hi Cricketlady,

You could try Shopify. It's a ready-to-go online shop with easy functionality and ready to go carts.

There are also some pretty stunning shop themes too.

Matt

Matt Thorpe
E-Commerce & Marketing Consultant
Grasshopperuk.com

cricketlady wrote:

EBAY! I want to have my own website and put things on etsy and put things on amazon but don't have the time to do this all manually.

I know all about building websites myself with wordpress and SEO. But not with real carts and such. I've tried magneto and that was such a waste of my time. Is there any software or third party that can help with that?

I sell vintage items so every item is different.

Thanks
Michelle

[Last edited by moderator: Fixed link — 29 Oct 2014]
Indiana United States
cricketlady
Kudos: 54
21 Oct 2014
Hi Matt,

Thanks! I'll give it a look today.

Michelle

XSellco
Volo
Selro
StoreFeeder