Auction Builder

Poster
mysrh
Kudos: 30
Auction Builder
21 May 2006
Heya everyone! I'm very pleased to find this site.
I have been encountering problem with Turbo Lister.
When I created an auction, in Turbo Lister, when it's listed online, it appears different on Ebay than when I preview in Turbo Lister.
The same happened when I used MS Front Page to type the HTML and did cut&paste into Turbo Lister. Here's an example. cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.d...pagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

If I used other auction builders, eg. Andale etc (I'm in Australia by the way), will I encounter the same problem I have been having?

Or is it something that I did wrongly?
Thank you for the help before hand

Kind regards,
mysrh
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
Kudos: 11,603
Re: Auction Builder
21 May 2006
Hi, welcome to the site

The reason that the ad is wider than the available screen width (assuming you have the same resolution as me) is that there is a table with a fixed width of 1291 pixels, and a table cell with a fixed width of 1201 pixels.

Search the HTML for "width=1291" and "width=1201" and you will find these offending attributes. I would recommend you simply delete these and see if the layout flows better. If that doesn't help try replacing them with percentages.

You would have the same problem with other listers if you use the same HTML. My guess is that the problem came from FrontPage. I haven't used it in a long time, but it always used to be a terrible HTML editor.
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
Australia Australia
mysrh
22 May 2006
Hi Andy, really thank you for the help.
This problem is also encountered without using FrontPage.

When I created the page using Turbo Lister, sometimes the picture will cover the description and the Title shrank to very small font size.

But your suggestion is a really eye opening, I'm not so knowledgable with HTML, so that's really a good tip.

Regards,
mysrh
Australia Australia
mysrh
26 May 2006
Hi again, I['ve tried to change as you suggested. Unfortunately I won't know the result until I upload the listing to Ebay.
Look at this auction: [link=]http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6061367336&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1
[/link]

The stange thing is, the first sentence "Here is Playful Heart Monkey", before was written very small fonts. When I check again it goes back to normal, but now the position of shipping fee table is wrong.

I'm using wide screen monitor with resolution 1920X1200 if that helps at all.

I'm really2 confused now

[Last edited: 26 May 2006]
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
Kudos: 11,603
27 May 2006
I don't know where you got your template from originally but trying to fix it is not working for you. I think it may be beyond repair

I would start from scratch with a new template in Turbo Lister or you could join somewhere like The Seller Sourcebook, who have lots of good templates.

Try to restrain yourself from messing with the HTML directly in FrontPage or anything else, just fill in the allocated spaces with your text/pictures.

I dont know for sure why you are seeing different results when viewing via eBay or via Turbo Lister, but my guess is that Turbo Lister uses Internet Explorer to preview the listing and you are using Firefox or another browser when you browse eBay. Try pasting the URL into IE and then into Firefox (or whichever browser you use) to see if that's the difference. I certainly see a difference when I try that.
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
Australia Australia
mysrh
27 May 2006
Hi Andy, to my surprise, the Ebay listing looks normal viewing from my laptop (non-widescreen) at 1600x1200. But if it does look messy at your end then probably it is the way I set up the listing after all.

And yes, I do use firefox with the desktop, while my laptop uses
IE. Will check that websites you told me. Thanks Andy!
United States United States
tekgems
Kudos: 100
5 Jun 2006
You should keep your HTML as lean and simple as possible. FrontPage is notorious for adding bloat to HTML. Not only does it load slower for your buyers, it can cause layout issues like you have mentioned. People still use 56k in rural areas and you want to be mindful of this segment of your customer population. If your pages take too long to load, they are going to skip your listing and go visit a competitor page.

Selro
StoreFeeder
World First
Seller Dynamics