Help adding another income besides eBay

Poster
cricketlady
Kudos: 54
Help adding another income besides eBay
22 Oct 2014
Hi I am a retired Cricket Farmer, yep Bugs! We did this for over 20 years then we got a virus that wiped us out and most of the cricket farms in the US about 5 years ago. We sold the big farm and moved the the second smaller farm but newer home and started selling off some of our 30 year collection of antiques on eBay.

Now ebay is going crazy and I'm worried and tired of depending on just that as a income. We are going to start the cricket operation up again but only on a very small scale unless everyone decides they want to start eating them. Lol! I never eat them on purpose.

So I just signed up for Shopify and am uploading my 5000 items to that platform.
Here is what I have...
www.thecricketlady.com ...old blog talking about selling on ebay
www.cricketfarmer.com ...this points to my ebay store and I have www.thecricketfarmer.com and I have... farmersonlinethriftstore.com which is pointing to my cricketlady site. But I think I will use that to point to my online web store instead.

ebay my store name is cricketfarmer

I've tried bonanza and its dead. Etsy I have a shop but don't have much on there.

So that's it. Any help would be Great!
Michelle

[Last edited by moderator: Fixed links — 22 Oct 2014]
Supplier
United States United States
WatchCount.com
Kudos: 120
Re: Help adding another income besides eBay
28 Oct 2014
@cricketlady

Michelle:

My first instinct upon reading your post is this -- you seem to have a lot of experience in a very specific niche: cricket farming. And until reading your post 2 minutes ago, I really had no idea people even farmed crickets. (Upon thinking about it for another few seconds, I suppose among other things, crickets can be sold as food for certain household pets, or as fish bait?)

I think you should focus on monetizing your wealth of knowledge in cricket farming. I don't know what the competition is like online for sharing knowledge in that area, but there are a myriad of things you can do in any specific niche in terms of trying to monetize online.

The most basic strategy might be to over time write short articles about lots of very specific things within your niche. You write short articles on keyword-researched topics, adding them to your new website every few days, and as the months and years pass, you build hundreds of articles that draw in visitors from organic searches on Google/Bing/Yahoo/etc. You make money via ads, affiliate links, an eBook you write and sell, and so forth.

And you can go on and on with the concept -- a paid membership site for aspiring cricket farmers, a paid or free discussion forum on the topic (the latter: if it gets going, you end up getting OTHER people to passionately build content on YOUR website, drawing in yet more traffic and ad clicks).

I don't want to overwhelm you with ideas, so maybe stick with the basic concept for now. ...This is meant to be a long-term investment of time, if you go this route. It's not about selling things directly, but building up automated or semi-automated income by providing free or paid information about a topic you know a lot about, and hopefully are passionate about yourself.

I've heard great things for years about a platform that handles all the logistics and tech stuff for you, holding your hand through the market research (keyword research and topic selection) and the whole process, while you focus on providing great content/articles/videos: Site Sell's Site Build It product. www.sitesell.com/ . (I could provide you my affiliate link for this product, but I'm not telling you all this to make a sale, so that's the generic/general page for them.) They also have a WordPress version of their product, if that's your cup of tea.

Good luck!

-Jake
WatchCount.com - How many watchers?
Indiana United States
cricketlady
Kudos: 54
Re: Help adding another income besides eBay
28 Oct 2014
Thanks Jake!

I think that is a Great Idea and one I've been thinking about for a while now. Thanks for the tips and I will check out the site you talked about!

Michelle

2nd Office
ChannelAdvisor
XSellco
Volo