THE REAL SCOOP ON AUCTION MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Closed

Poster
Seller1
Kudos: 385
THE REAL SCOOP ON AUCTION MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
2 Jun 2006
Ok...after reading everyone's posts I've decided that I've had enough. It's really hard to see people making so many mistakes with software companies and praising companies that are really horrible.

Without getting into too much detail I can say that we're one of the top sellers on eBay as far as profit, quantity of items sold, productivity, and even how high our feedback percentage is. With that said, let's move on to all these discussions about auction management software. For now, I will just comment on how they work through eBay from my point of view.

In my opinion ALL of them have their issues. It all comes down to who doesn't do the worst job...not who is the best. Over the past two years we have used Channel Advisor, Zoovy, Kyozou, and Marketworks. After reading these posts I just got tired of everyone posting false information about these companies. Don't waste your time with other people's posts...here it is!

Kyozou- I can't say enough about how many bugs they have. Their customer service is poor, they avoid questions, and will never admit their fault. I have even had them triple bill me on accident?! Their auto-lister profiles also have a habit of well...deciding not to post one day. The day I switched out of them I had lost over $1500 in profits that should have come from auctions that didn't go up. Nice job kyozou.

Next...

Channel Advisor- Great system for amateurs who don't want to make a living using this. My mom uses this to sell 40 items a week. Bottom line...full of bugs, great if this is a hobbie. Channel has poor reporting and few ways to keep track of large amounts of auctions. They also organize their auctions very poorly.

Zoovy- Selling on eBay with Zoovy= a joke. The first hour of trying out their program I closed it down when they told me they couldn't handle what we wanted. They couldn't do the most basic thing: keep track of my auctions, reporting, and see from a Macro point what's up and not up.

Marketworks- excellent customer service, great reporting, but I'm still getting used to their system. The interface isn't that great, and it's expensive, but it does it's job. Auction software is supposed to be automatic and free your time up to do other things for your business. How are you supposed to do that with all these **** programs all you guys are using? email me at skulls615@aol.com and I'll help anyone out with real advice from someone who makes a good amount of money doing this.
United States United States
Seller1
Re: THE REAL SCOOP ON AUCTION MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
3 Jun 2006
I forgot to mention that with Marketworks you have the ability to call a rep directly. With Kyozou you end up wit a random tech person (I know them all) whose first job is to try and make you seem like you don't know what you're talking about. Then, once you catch em' they say they'll look into it. Of course you never get a call back. Look at the companies who use all these software programs and ask yourself "Where do you want to be?" How fast do you want to grow? Our eBay store has grown so rapidly and the only reason it hasn't grown even faster is because of how inefficient Kyozou, Channel, and Zoovy are. With these programs you will always be wondering what life would be life if you could get through the day without bugs...and instead go towards expanding your business. I will challenge all these online auction management software companies at eBay live on the 13th-15th. Would any like to answer my comments and concerns?
Supplier
United Kingdom United Kingdom
sellthemoon
Kudos: 270
3 Jun 2006
Interesting comments and I applaud your obvious passion! You are absolutely right - all of the packages have issues, but don`t forget that an issue that is fatal to one seller may be trivial to another. We tried Marketworks and found so many problems we just could not continue - system failures aside, the main flaw being that the interface is awful and takes too long for new people to learn.Taking on a new employee with Marketworks adds weeks to their learning curve. The "new" interface just adds to the confusion because it weaves in and out of the original interface, constantly changing the look and feel of the program. We also had too many occasions of Mworks being too slow to use, appalling "help" system too. It doesn`t matter how brilliant / powerful/ reliable a system is if people struggle to actually use it.
We have used Kyozou and we found their auto listers infinitely more reliable than the Marketworks launch bots, but you are correct - it has bugs - but none which were jugular to us . We also had no problem contacting the same support guy by phone each time, but I do agree that problems were not always solved.
Channel Advisor was a non starter because it is one eBay ID only - jugular to us but perhaps irrelevant to most users.

The point is it is a bit like cars. If I have a big family I need a 7 seater People Carrier. The poor performance, poor fuel consumtion etc are "problems" that I have to live with because the vehicle performs in my key areas. My neighbour may be a single guy who wouldn`t be seen dead in a People Carrier, he has a 2 seater sports car. He accepts that he can`t give all his mates a lift home & can`t carry anything bigger than a shoebox because on balance it meets his key requirements. Both are just a means of transport, both have flaws but both are "perfect" for their respective users.
Seller1
3 Jun 2006
Great points! Sounds like you know what you are talking about. Let me tell you an issue I have with Kyozou that never has gone away. Their auto-lister profiles just suddenly will not launch auctions. If i have 200 auctions posting a day and out of nowhere 50 auctions between 5pm-10pm don't post...well I've lost over $1,000 dollars of profit. Kyozou's explanation: "Gee that's strange...I'll give you a call back about it."

Marketworks has never had that problem and any issue that has ever come up is directed right to the office of my rep or my personal tech. Sure their system may be complex, but ultimately it's smoother and allows me to make more money.

Is anyone aware that the people who started Kyozou used to be clients of Marketworks! Yes, that's right. They sold on eBay too. They should hire you and I to tell them why their system is flawed.
Seller1
3 Jun 2006
I just thought of another thing. Those trivial to me are important for everyone. I suppose if you're happy making a decenet amount of money then Kyozou's simple system is OK. But, I'd rather not settle. I want to spend time growing the business. At the end of the day I know we're one of the largest companies on eBay, for a reason. When we go to eBay conventions we're always the youngest, yet largest companies on eBay. Sure our car may have a few problems, but if the main important things on the car don't work properly then how can it protect my family and do the simple things I want to do? Kyozou has the features of an 85 BMW with no sport package. My current system runs the car that I drive...an 06 BMW that has only a couple issues, but in the end 95% of the time I'm the most high priced automobile among the other eBay drivers on the road. It's carrying a cargo full of profit...not cheaply getting me by. The point is you want to make tons of money and nothing in Kyozou's system allows any seller to do that in my opinion.
Australia Australia
bewdynewk
Kudos: 15
4 Jun 2006
Great info people - thanks!

So what about AuctionTamer? - can it be mentioned in the same breath as those above?

It looks almost ideal to me but I'm new at this - so I'd like to have your brutal assessment.
tekgems
Kudos: 100
5 Jun 2006
I think for the benefit of all those reading this thread - one should disclose that Marketworks offers a long-term referral credit. I'm not saying you are searching for additional referrals, but one could recruit enough sellers under your MarketWorks account to make it free for you. I don't know if Zoovy, ChannelAdvisor, or any of the other web based services offer a referral, but I know MarketWorks does.

Regardless of this, I wil say web based services make sense if you make a good margin on your items, or you sell low dollar items in very high volume.

If you're selling 40 items a week, you can manage your listings with TurboLister and an e-mail program. I know I did for several years.
Seller1
5 Jun 2006
I wasn't even aware they offered referral $s.

And tek is correct...

Kyozou just has bugs all over the place. This morning someone called me to rave about how they are having issues with regard to automatic feedback. For some reason kyozou is having issues leaving feedback for other people. And this is a system you depend on to put food on the table?

I think not...
tekgems
Kudos: 100
5 Jun 2006
The best feature going for Zoovy is that they have the best executed web store. They understand search engine optimization (SEO) better than any of the other web based services. Better SEO means more sales for you from non-eBay referrals. I have not used their web service or desktop application, but from what I have analyzed of live stores, its the best web store from the bunch.
direct4games
Kudos: 125
5 Jun 2006
Hi
I have read with interest everyone’s take on the different software available. I would like to suggest that you all check out eSellerPro. My business has tried Marketworks, spent a lot of time with the UK guys at Marketworks, and some of the US management. They are nice people but unfortunately we couldn't get their software to perform to the level that we needed from it. We had problems loading to the FTP server. Their storefront is NOT a proper website, and it very much orientated towards eBay. Anyway ................ I discovered eSeller Pro, and have never looked back. eSeller Pro, not only lists to eBay, Amazon, and your own web site, it can control your stock purchases, with bar-coding software. It controls your financials, linking into your Sage Accounts software - saving time and money data entering. Shipping notes are printed, refunds controlled, with all data being posted to the correct ledgers. There is a HTML newsletter editor built in. Links to your nominated bank account, Paypal and so much more. Take a look at their site - link to be found on this forum. We are actively supporting this software because we are using it, and it is proving to be the best that we have tried. We will be sticking with eSeller Pro - there is no reason to look elsewhere!

Pete
CEO
www.direct4games.com

[Last edited: 7 Jun 2006]
Seller1
6 Jun 2006
You are correct. They are the best web store as far as ecommerce websites out of eBay. We actually thought Zoovy would be great to bring all stores together into one place: Amazon, our website, and eBay. It does fine for amazon and our website, but I'm not fully impressed. Syndication works poorly and it's hard to control the numbers. Zoovy and every ecommerce software company keeps promising to sync up with Quickooks. So far none can do so and the exports don't work for Quickbooks as well.

I also recommend people use mass mailers to send out newsletters. I have found that all these ecommerce software companies are 10 years behind when it comes to customer management, newsletters, etc.

I'll check out eSeller, but I doubt I will ever find a company that can support all storefronts at once. For now, I'll settle with a few companies that in my opinion don't do the job that they should.
FourthAxis
Kudos: 70
7 Jun 2006
Hey guys, I'm glad to see this post getting some views as I'm very passionate about our sales and what our software should do also. WORK!

It should work so I don't have to. PERIOD. I'm a 500+ Powerseller and have tried most of the companies talked about; Auctionworks/Marketworks, M-Pire, Zoovy, Channel Advisor.

Firstly, I agree with most that has been said about these software packages and theory that one mans software trash is another mans software treasure.

Currently we us Marketworks for thousands products and 100+ sales per month. If you're a volume seller who wants automation, I suggest looking into them. Granted there are some issues, the system can be slow. The learning curve is a bit steep. They are slow to respond to technical questions. The bottom line for us...it combines the markets, it tracks the sales, it streamlines the repetitive processes, it works.

However, our impressions were these:

Zoovy
Great ideas, terrible design, bad pricing schedule ($400 up front to try), not intuitive and full of bugs. Bugs that they expect you to ignore (because they don't exist?) and what do you know anyway, you're just a dumb retailer.

Channel Advisor
There are multiple versions! One is AD based. One is INVENTORY based. If you're selling bits and pieces, I suggest trying their ad based solution. If you're selling volume, many sellers have had great luck with their inventory solution, but get out your check book.

M-Pire
Smooth, cheap and easy to use. But eBay ONLY

That's just my take.
Josh Sebastian
Owner
www.FourthAxis.com
Supplier
Chicago United Kingdom
Hungry Gopher
Kudos: 40
8 Jun 2006
Josh,

We had the same problem years ago when we started selling big on Ebay. Lots of solutions, but they were too confusing, buggy, did a lot, but not what we wanted.

The difference was this...we had enough software development experience to build our own system. So we hacked one out in a week as inventory was being shipped to us. We debugged it while we were adding the inventory into the system. Then over the next few months we made it do exactly what we wanted and perfected it...and never looked back. Last year, after a number of our ebay friends nagged us, we commercialized the system.

We are the exception to the rule, but you guys are right, there is a system out there for everyone, because we all have different needs. We have built our own and maybe it will work for you.
Ady
Ady
Kudos: 226
8 Jun 2006
Hungry Gopher - looks like a nice software setup you have there.

Pity you guys are only supporting the US though. I know when I last asked many months ago you mentioned that you would be supporting the UK at a future date. Is that still on the cards?
Supplier
Chicago United Kingdom
Hungry Gopher
Kudos: 40
8 Jun 2006
Ady,

I remember talking with you in January. We are capable of supporting other sites, but we first have to go through a period of beta testing with sellers. Let me know in case you're interested and I can set you up when we're ready. We recently finished beta for ths US site and want to concentrate on making sure it is working perfectly.

World First
Seller Dynamics
ReplyManager
Sellware