Are you trying any different marketplaces?

Poster
Andy
Kudos: 11,623
Are you trying any different marketplaces?
12 Nov 2014
Are you trying out any different marketplaces at the moment?

Not long ago, getting more than a trickle of sales outside Amazon or eBay was rare. Now some of the "alternative" marketplaces are generating a good level of sales, at least for some sellers.

Which marketplaces are you trying? How's it working it so far?
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
Shenzen China Australia
Tim298
Kudos: 446
Re: Are you trying any different marketplaces?
13 Nov 2014
@Andy I've done quite a bit of selling in the Group Buy sales channels, the tough part is payment terms, 50% discount on retail + 20%-50% margin to the sites, be well aware of fine print and details...
The good part is if its an okay product you can move a lot of volume in a short period. I don't see it as a - "dip your toe in" sort of sales channel, more of a long term strategy - another tool in the box so to speak - but a good relationship within the industry can be a really useful thing, nice for testing new markets etc...
Pittsburgh,PA,USA United States
deevho
Kudos: 72
14 Nov 2014
@Andy @davidsdeliciouschocolates,I am a reseller so must get suppliers permissions,would like to try chocolate org. but being a one man band haven't found the time,also underfunded.
Supplier
Israel Israel
Valigara
Kudos: 123
18 Nov 2014
Hi @Andy

I believe the exposure to additional marketplaces is an extremely important step in the right eCommerce strategy. Not only because of the additional markets coverage but also redundancy. There are many cases we hear about eBay shops going down for some reason - the presence on additional marketplaces allows to survive the recovery period required until the shop is performing well again.

The target marketplaces strongly depend on the niche you're working in. We specialize in jewelry and diamonds, for us eBay and Etsy are the main markets. And in several cases Etsy performs even better than eBay or Amazon! In addition we use Sears, Bonanza, Rapnet. We ever take our clients to Alibaba, as the next business development step - from retail to wholesale. We also look closely at Rakuten, Dawanda and Artfire, as each one has his established clients base, a unique positioning, so we adjust it to each case. Of course it requires strong back-office, we solve it with a lot of automation.

And naturally - business profile matters. For more mainstream jewelry we go for Amazon, for more customized - Etsy, fashion jewelry - Bonanza, for boutique jewelry - Artfire and Dawanda. Able to scale the production - Alibaba. B2B diamonds trade - Rapnet is a must.

Moreover, the selection of the marketplaces depends on the maturity of the business and the go-to-market. So, starting an eBay store will take much more time than the Etsy one, so the easier and quicker start might be important for newbies.

At the end, marketplaces are a part of the whole online strategy. Sometimes the main target of being present on the specific marketplace is not to create profits but generate the clients base to monetize it later in the main point of sale (website, online catalog, phone sales), without putting enormous budget on PPC. So even by having an 10% increase in direct sales on additional marketplace can pay itself on, with the right engagement and post-sale strategies.

This is a theme to write long articles about, hope this short summary helps.
Igor Nusinovich, Co-Founder & CEO

Valigara Online Jewelry Manager
Multi-channel eCommerce for Jewelry and Diamonds
deevho
19 Nov 2014
@Valigara @davidsdeliciouschocolates r any marketplaces u mentioned OK for candies? We sell chocolates, jelly beans, energy bars safe to enjoy for folks with special dietary considerations-celiacs, diabetics, food additives, kosher.
Supplier
Israel Israel
Valigara
20 Nov 2014
Hi @deevho

As I stated we specialize in jewelry and diamonds industry, so I can't give you precise answers...

The good solution would be googling "sell candies online" and checking the main websites (maybe to become their supplier?), and marketplaces for this niche. I start by checking the amount of active items for sale. I checked now the "Grocery & Gourmet Food : Candy & Chocolate" category on Amazon.com, I see there are 153,871 items. The "Plants and Edibles: Candy" on Etsy has 21,625 items - I think it's interesting enough too. From here I would start checking further: the leaders, how much they sell in numbers and volumes, the average price etc.

BTW Etsy-wise there is a good online resource craftcount.com - they accumulate some interesting stats about Etsy. It is worth checking.
Best regards,
Igor Nusinovich

Midlothian, VA United States
Jax Music Supply
Kudos: 2,361
20 Nov 2014
Yes, I always try new marketplaces out. The new marketplaces do make it difficult however. They often do not provide good ways to update inventory and process orders. Two that I have launched on recently are 11Main.com and Reverb.com. It was painful to build the files to load our inventory. That is not too bad, because it is a one time thing. However, to keep inventory updated, I have to manually upload a file for both of these sites. They have provision for FTP or XML interface. Literally I have to sign on, click a button, select the file, etc. For Amazon, Ebay, New Egg, and my websites, I have all of this updated and the inventory gets updated several times a day. These new marketplaces have to realize that if they are going to lure sellers away from the larger marketplaces, they need to provide some basic tools, at least FTP for order download and updating of inventory, that generally are already built in to most cloud platforms.
deevho
21 Nov 2014
@Valigara @davidsdeliciouschocolates Igor, I have already affiliated with Bonanza, Etsy and chocolate.org. Not active yet. Other problems to solve right now. One man bands are always running to the next fire.
Dave Lambert
www.davidsdeliciouschocolates.com
tantalize your tastebuds
safely and enjoyably
deevho
21 Nov 2014
@Valigara @davidsdeliciouschocolates Igor, do you buy diamond rings. I have one from a previous marriage I want to sell. If I send you closeups from the side and from the top would that be sufficient? Local jeweler said this ring should bring $1500 wholesale and $2,000 in a private sale.
Dave Lambert
Supplier
Israel Israel
Valigara
23 Nov 2014

deevho wrote:

@Valigara @davidsdeliciouschocolates Igor, do you buy diamond rings. I have one from a previous marriage I want to sell.
@deevho Dave,
Thank you for your interest. Valigara is the internet technology and service company, providing the online marketing platform for jewelry and diamonds. We are not the jewelry buying/reselling boutique, therefore unfortunately I will not be able to help you in this issue.
Best regards,
Igor Nusinovich, CEO

Italy Italy
g.bruno
Kudos: 15
24 Feb 2015
@Andy Hello, Have you ever tried with Stocklot.com? it is a B2B fashion marketplace and it's quite different from Amazon or Ebay but it's really useful for everybody who wants to sell its stocks quickly. I sold 3 of my shoes stocks in a month!
The link is www.stocklot.com
Supplier
New York, NY United States
Skubana
Kudos: 128
24 Feb 2015
I know this is different for every Ecommerce, but overall it's important to be on different marketplaces and sales-channels. Getting the right amount of exposure for both your business and its products is crucial.

Obviously eBay and Amazon are heavy hitters for a lot of companies, but exploring channels like Rakuten (Buy.com), NewEgg and even Etsy.com, which has been getting a lot of traffic lately are worth while.

I think there are a lot of breakout sales channels and as time goes on, Amazon will obviously keep being the top dog, but your potential for reaching new customers will just keep growing and growing.

Little bit of a side question. Mainly curious. Has anyone had success on any price comparison sites?
Jim
www.Skubana.com
@Skubana_ERP
Midlothian, VA United States
Jax Music Supply
Kudos: 2,361
25 Feb 2015
Just one comment on all these smaller marketplaces - they all seem to think they are the only game in town. They do not cater to the professional seller very well (see my post above regarding marketplace tools). You are not going to lure sellers away from Amazon just because your fees are lower - you have to make it easy to get sellers there, and then have some traffic.
Nottingham United Kingdom
Bigian13
Kudos: 2,254
7 Mar 2015
I agree with @jaxmusicsupply.

These days the majority of larger sellers already have their own stock control software in place, so these 'new marketplaces' should have an API ready so that the major software providers such as Linnworks and Channel Advisor can link with them.

We have been offered many new selling channels that will apparently be the new ebay / Amazon ( ! ) but a lack of an API, despite lower fees, puts us right off them.

Ian
E-commerce , love it or hate it, that's why we are here
United States United States
Dappled Moon
Kudos: 77
7 Mar 2015
I switched to ecrater from eBay because of the fees. I really do not like that there is no stats for anyone looking at your store When searching for items, the amount of stock when you want a certain genre of product or something specific is lacking. The way products show up on search is not very enticing either; It really bothers me because you can not really search for specifications and narrow things down well. Though, I do know it will likely improve, I do not know if I want to wait that long. I am not sure what to do.

StoreFeeder
World First
Seller Dynamics
ReplyManager