What is your most effective social network?

Poster
QrateTV
Kudos: 51
What is your most effective social network?
24 Jan 2015
I'm trying to get word out about my site by posting links to my content on Twitter, Facebook, Stumbleupon & Delicio.us.

Other than these, does anyone have any suggestions as to which social networks are most effective?
Nottingham United Kingdom
Bigian13
Kudos: 2,254
Re: What is your most effective social network?
25 Jan 2015
We seem to get more hits on our website from Pinterest than the others combined, and it takes a lot less work to maintain.

In our experience Facebook and Twitter seem to be another way for customers to contact 'customer service', which is not a bad thing, but they do expect a very quick response.

Obviously everybody is different and it all depends what you are selling so try everything there is and see what works for you.

Ian
E-commerce , love it or hate it, that's why we are here
Brisbane Australia
QrateTV
26 Jan 2015
I must be doing something quite wrong then: I'm getting zero traffic from Pinterest.

any suggestions on how to use it more effectively?
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
Kudos: 11,626
27 Jan 2015

QrateTV wrote:

I must be doing something quite wrong then: I'm getting zero traffic from Pinterest.

any suggestions on how to use it more effectively?
Pinterest often works well for those selling products online because it's visual and lots of people really do use it to research purchases (unlike Facebook or Instagram).

It looks like you have a video sharing site, so not such a great fit. Or is there something else you do alongside that?
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
Brisbane Australia
QrateTV
27 Jan 2015
Hi Andy,

The site is a social curation tool for online video, much like Pinterest is a curation tool for visual links.
You can share the video playlists you create: I've found the most effective sites for me to date have been Twitter and Delicio.us.

I wanted to see if anyone had any other suggestions for sites which might work effectively?

Thanks,

Rob
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
Kudos: 11,626
27 Jan 2015
Delicious is a social bookmarking site and the most similar high-traffic one that I know of is StumbleUpon.

If you google social bookmarking you'll find many more.
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
Supplier
United States United States
tiana.byers
Kudos: 70
30 Jan 2015
@QrateTV Hey Rob,

Have you tried reddit or other bookmarking sites? There are so many sub-reddit threads - you can find one on just about anything. Sounds like you're site is very niche. Have you looked for any threads or subcategories on bookmarking sites that deal very specifically in curating/sharing videos?

When we started our software our founders spent some time on ecommerce forums (like Amazon and eBay) to talk to people, find out what they're looking for, etc. It was a great way to market ourselves and find out more about our customer prospects. Win-win.

I'd take a look at niche categories on bookmarking sites and find some pages for people who love and make video content. Ask them to try out your site and share their opinion - could be a great way to get some honest feedback.

Let us know how it goes. Wish you luck!

[Last edited: 30 Jan 2015]
Supplier
New York, NY United States
Skubana
Kudos: 128
6 Feb 2015
Another real important thing to consider with Social Media is you don't want to spread yourself too thin. It sounds like you're trying to cover a lot of ground where instead two or three platforms will get the job done.

Always a safe bet is Facebook. They have the most users and really have a solid representation on just about every demographic out there. So no matter what the interests are of your audience they'll be on there.

Pinterest definitely wouldn't be the appropriate site for you considering the service you're providing.

Go the route of Reddit. With all of their sub-reddits you can really focus and target the right audience.

May I ask what kind of content are you posting on the sites you've tried?

No matter what platform you're utilizing be sure not to just oversell on there. You want to provide helpful and consistent content to your audience to get them interested and eventually convert.

This may sound cheesy, but the first word in social media is social and that's exactly what you have to be on any platform that you're on. Be social, be helpful and be consistent. It's a marathon not a sprint, so don't expect instant gratification. Build up your audience, build trust and give them value.
Jim
www.Skubana.com
@Skubana_ERP
United States United States
Tej R
Kudos: 170
18 Feb 2015
There is no one social network that can ensure success. It depends highly on the nature of your business and the buyer profile.

Shopify recently published a study after analysing data from 37 million social media visits that led to 529,000 orders placed in eCommerce stores.

Here's a glimpse at the social networks which brought in most sales by category of products:

Let's look at conversion now. Here are the conversion % of visit to purchase from traffic from social networks:

I hope this helps to choose and double down on 1 or 2 social networks which fit your market.

I can better help if you share what product category you sell

Source of images: Which Social Media Platform... Most Sales? [Infographic]
Supplier
Nottingham, United Kingdom United Kingdom
Parcelhub
Kudos: 173
18 Feb 2015
Twitter is most effective for us, as it is so much less restrictive than Facebook.
Sending 1000, 500 or even 10 Parcels a Day?
Save Time and Money with Parcelhub.co.uk
London United Kingdom
Matt Thorpe
Kudos: 204
14 Apr 2015
This is an interesting question and you need to clarify what 'effective' means. If you mean sales then you can pretty much forget about it but social isn't designed to do that. Don't get me wrong, sales do come in but it is very hit and miss in my experience.

Social media is about conversations, sharing and building relationships. If you use social as a hard-sell tool you will quickly lose engagement and followers. Treat social media like your scrapbook or brand journal where you use clever, visual content to gain interest and interactions from your target audience.

You can still use it to drive people to your site but use the softer, more patient approach and focus on getting people to see what you are doing. There is a lot of noise out there so you need to deliver some that will interest them and add value.

Finally, don't post on social networks just for the sake of it. Updating every day with content that isn't well thought out will only damage your brand. Post once a week but post well. It is far more effective.

In my experience, Pinterest works well for infographics, Instagram is great for fashion and Twitter works well for creating a conversion/developing relationships. Facebook is a little naff these days because the engagement levels aren't really there for some demographics.

Good luck guys!

ChannelAdvisor
XSellco
Volo
Selro