Q&A on Ecommerce Marketing: SEO, Email, Social
Ask The Expert
Closed

Poster
Cosimo Errede
Kudos: 39
Re: Q&A on Ecommerce Marketing: SEO, Email, Social
23 Feb 2015
Hi! I'd like to know about the importance of eCommerce integration between web platform, mktg and logistic fulfillment. In Italian market I cant' find significative examples. Can you tell me about some case studies? Txs in advance
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
Kudos: 11,661
24 Feb 2015
Hey everyone, thanks for all your great questions so far!

John has provided some really helpful answers, so don't forget to hit the Like button if you've found his advice useful. You can also post follow-ups if you need clarification or have more questions.

Now it would be fantastic to hear any specific marketing questions you have about your business. Here's a few ideas to help get you thinking:

• What's your experience with email/social/SEO so far?
  • What successes have you had and what problems did you encounter?
  • What are your business goals? Can you put together a marketing strategy to achieve them?
  • Are you sceptical that email/social/SEO marketing could work for your business?

• John's here to help so make sure you take the opportunity while you can.
    Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
    Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    robbiedoug
    Kudos: 21
    24 Feb 2015
    Hi John,

Rob from Trueinterior.com here.

We don't have a massive budget so have been focusing a lot of our time on link building. One of the things I've been getting mixed information on is deeplinking. So for example, we secured a post on an online magazine site that linked directly to one of our products. They used the product name as the anchor text and linked to the product.

I've been told we would have been better have the link to the homepage but I'm not really sure why. Could you shed any light?

Many thanks,

Rob
    John W Hayes
    Kudos: 238
    24 Feb 2015
    @robbiedoug

First things first. Not all links are good links.

DO NOT get involved with building links for the sake of building links. Link Farming (where your site appears on numerous, low quality sites) will damage your reputation and could impact negatively on where you appear on the Search Engine Results Pages (SERPs).

Links should be relevant to the content on the page and that content must be well written (content should always be produced for human engagement first and not blatant SEO purposes).

Does the content on the page look like a review, a useful piece of advice or an advert? Paying for links (or being under suspicion of paying for links) can also be a very dangerous practice.

If your links are relevant, the site linking to you has a good reputation and you don't get too many bounces (which may happen if products are no longer available) - you should be good to deep link.

In terms of conversion - deep linking will help customers make quicker buying decisions and should ultimately be more successful for you. There is no point directing people to your homepage if they cannot find the product they are looking for.
    Leicestershire United Kingdom
    Crucial Music
    Kudos: 124
    24 Feb 2015
    @John W Hayes Thanks for a useful response John!

John W Hayes wrote:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a little social media automation... ... you can only target subscribers with others of a similar nature to their original engagement.

[Last edited by moderator: Trimmed quote — 24 Feb 2015]
    John W Hayes
    24 Feb 2015
    @Cosimo Errede

Bringing all your ducks (technology) together will undoubtedly make you a more efficient (and hopefully profitable) seller. I'm afraid I don't have any specific case studies to hand.

Perhaps someone else would like to jump in with some examples.

J
    Herts, England United Kingdom
    Andy
    Kudos: 11,661
    24 Feb 2015

Cosimo Errede wrote:

Hi! I'd like to know about the importance of eCommerce integration between web platform, mktg and logistic fulfillment. In Italian market I cant' find significative examples. Can you tell me about some case studies? Txs in advance
    Hey Cosimo, is this a question about email marketing? Sending messages to customers in sync with order shipment, special store promotions etc.?
    Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
    Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
    Atlanta, GA United States
    SweetSassyMolasseyBakeshop
    Kudos: 38
    24 Feb 2015
    Hi John,

Thanks in advance for answering our questions. I own an online organic Bakeshop (www.SweetSassyMolasseyBakeshop.com) which I launched last year so I'm fairly new to the market. I sell organic baked goods via my website as well as via another online channel. I have noticed that a lot of people go on my site and click on multiple pages as well as on my order page but then don't order. I do charge what I think is a reasonable price for delivery ($5). What do you think are possible causes for them not to complete their transactions?

Also, I do all of the marketing myself. With limited time, where would you advise I spend most of my time to get sales? I'm trying to attract customers who live in the city I'm based out of. Thank you!
    John W Hayes
    24 Feb 2015
    @SweetSassyMolasseyBakeshop

There are a number of problems with your site that are preventing people from buying.

Your individual products should have more complete descriptions and feature bespoke images (people buy food products online with their eyes). Customers should be able to buy directly from the product page instead of clicking (backwards and forwards) through to an order page (this makes the site look quite dated and difficult to use).

It would be beneficial to invest in a more complete ecommerce site (check out services like Shopify, Volusion or BigCommerce for low cost entry level ecommerce platforms). The cart functionality provided by an ecommerce system will allow people to place multiple items in the cart before completing the transaction with ease.

With regards to marketing locally - I would suggest you go offline (farmers markets, bake sales, etc) and encourage people to join your email list (hitting the regularly) to attract repeat customers.

Socially-led content marketing strategies may also bring in new customers. Invest in images of your products and post out to Facebook, Twitter and Instagram (get people's mouths watering). Posting recipes to a blog may also help - yes this means some people will bake the items themselves - but most people would prefer to buy from a professional.

Hope this helps.

John
    Atlanta, GA United States
    SweetSassyMolasseyBakeshop
    Kudos: 38
    24 Feb 2015
    @John W Hayes thanks so much for your advice. I'm going to look into making those changes.
    Best, Nicole
    John W Hayes
    24 Feb 2015
    @SweetSassyMolasseyBakeshop

No problem - take a look at - www.rachaelskitchen.co.uk/shop/cupcakes/say-cupcakes/ - for a little inspiration.

J
    Midlothian, VA United States
    Jax Music Supply
    Kudos: 2,387
    25 Feb 2015
    @John - Thanks for doing this. I'm curious if supplemental marketing efforts, such as PPC ads things like Google Product Listing Ads have any impact on SEO? Do they enhance it if you are participating or is all of it content marketing?
    Rome Italy
    Cosimo Errede
    Kudos: 39
    25 Feb 2015

Andy wrote:

Cosimo Errede wrote:

Hey Cosimo, is this a question about email marketing? Sending messages to customers in sync with order shipment, special store promotions etc.?
    Hi there Andy!
    It shoud be, of course. But not only. I was thinking about a full integration of tools for eCommerce. From email marketing to acquisition, from shipping to customer care, fulfillment and more. If you think this in not on topic please don't care about my question.
    John W Hayes
    25 Feb 2015
    @Cosimo Errede

I'm a big fan of Salesforce.com

The integration with ecommerce platforms like ChannelAdvisor and email marketing software like iContact make it an incredibly powerful tool (helping you manage your sales and promotions).

If you can bring Customer Support and Logistics into the Salesforce environment you will have a near complete solution that works across your entire operation.
    Supplier
    chris@sellerexpress.com United Kingdom
    SellerExpress
    Kudos: 250
    Having the courage to drop some social media channels
    25 Feb 2015
    Hi John

I have heard of a few companies recently saying that they have dropped either Twitter or Facebook totally to focus on quality content on their blog to drive meaningful traffic to their site, simply because those channels weren't adding any value for them or their customers.

How do you feel about a company identifying the channel that works best for them and throwing more resources at that—a case of finding what works, rinsing and repeating? Do you think companies are afraid to leave Twitter and Facebook because 'everyone else is doing it' and that more should act on what they're seeing works?

Seamus
    SellerExpress helps you manage your inventory,
    sales, pricing and orders on eBay, Amazon,
    Rakuten and webstores.
    Demo available
    www.sellerexpress.com

Seller Dynamics
    ReplyManager
    Sellware
    Ad-Lister