Hello, is it worth it to get a 1-800 number?

Poster
KimPossibleDang
Kudos: 91
Hello, is it worth it to get a 1-800 number?
30 Apr 2015
Just seeing if anyone thinks a 1-800 number will boost sales or nowadays you can just have a separate local number for your small business.

My business is very small.. $14-$16K/month small. I added a 1-800 number but I don't even know if it makes a difference. Thoughts?
Hudson Ohio United States
jhedges
Kudos: 65
Re: Hello, is it worth it to get a 1-800 number?
20 May 2015
Hi Kim,

In my opinion having your own 1-800 number is not as important today, especially if you're using call tracking through Google AdWords. Some of our clients have hundreds of toll-free phone numbers in their ads, assigned by Google. These clients are paying per click, not for the phone line itself.

Even without Google call tracking, if you have click-to-call HTML code on your phone number, a mobile customer isn't paying long distance fees. If you figure a third to over half your web traffic is mobile, that's a big segment of your customers. The remaining PC visitors will likely call on their mobile phones anyway.

Best of luck!

Regards,
Jon Hedges
Jon Hedges - Hedges & Company
Digital marketing agency serving enthusiast markets.
Our website
Our blog
Hesperia, CA United States
KimPossibleDang
20 May 2015
@jhedges

Call tracking with google adwords? Is that a temporary 1-800 number? I would have to look into this.

I would like to budget for marketing every month but right now sales are 99.9% coming from eBay.

Thank you for your response Jon.
Hudson Ohio United States
jhedges
Kudos: 65
20 May 2015
@KimPossibleDang

Hi Kim, here is some information from Google on it:
support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453991?hl=en

If you're wanting to lessen your dependence on eBay and venture into paid search, you might look at Google Product Listing Ads (PLAs) as a next step...they tend to have a higher click-through, higher conversion and lower CPC for us. They're data-driven but if you are sending a product feed to eBay you might be able to convert your data for a Google Merchant Center account without too much additional work.

Best of luck!

Regards,
Jon
Jon Hedges - Hedges & Company
Digital marketing agency serving enthusiast markets.
Our website
Our blog
Hesperia, CA United States
KimPossibleDang
20 May 2015
@jhedges

Wow! I will definitely try to get this implemented this week. Thank you so much for your advice!
Ukraine Ukraine
DNest
Kudos: 26
21 May 2015
Well, it depends on your sales and nature of your business. You can actually try whether a 1-800 number is good for you for free. You can get a free 30-days trial through Phone.com or try it on Grasshopper for only $49 per month and money back guarantee.

2nd Office
ChannelAdvisor
XSellco
Volo