What kind of buyer scams have you been hit by?

Poster
Andy
Kudos: 11,616
What kind of buyer scams have you been hit by?
6 May 2015
Buyers that are demanding, irrational or unreasonable are something sellers just have to deal with, but those that deliberately set out to rip off sellers are something else entirely.

What kind of dishonest tricks or scams have you been hit by from buyers? How do you protect yourself from being stung again?
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
Cascais, Portugal Portugal
Five Million Dollars Site
Kudos: 93
Re: What kind of buyer scams have you been hit by?
6 May 2015
Does that include jobs ? After all they are buying your services/work, are they not ? But I think the most common would be when they want you to lower price with the promisse of buying much more. 3 years ago I had a audio client, he was excelent client, always asked for things and paid in advance. Many things, small things. One day he came up to me, he wanted a complete system. But very specific, he wanted the things he could not get when he was a kid. He wanted a Nakamitchi Dragon K7 player, he wanted a Revox Reel to Reel, he wanted a specific tube amp from Quad, he also wanted a pair of my hand made speakers. I could not charge upfront because I had no idea how much it would cost. I had to go on ebay and look for mint condition audio from the past. I got it all, It cost me an arm and a leg. I set up everything at his place and to this day, I have not seen a dime from the 10K+ I spent to get everything he wanted.
Cascais, Portugal Portugal
Five Million Dollars Site
Kudos: 93
6 May 2015
There was another guy, he wanted a website for this girl who owned a cafe. But it had to be a very cheap job, according to him she had just started and had litle money. Because he was a long term client, I told him that because of him I would only charge 150 for the job. Everything went fine, he paid me upfront and I made the site, up untill the day she called me to do some updates on the site, on month after I had dilivered the job. I told her that was extra work. Her answer was: "I paid 750 for the site and you do not do the updates ?"
My reaction was obvious. I turned my back and told her: You did not pay the site to me, so please call the person you paid the site to and ask him to do your updates.
And not that was not business. The way I see it, I was used by a person who is now a former client. I confronted him and he said: "you made your price, this was pure business"
I told him: "well, from now on, just take your business elsewhere and forget I exist"
United States United States
tall-corn
Kudos: 108
6 May 2015
Products that are delivered, but the customer cant "find them" when they get home.

I have people who want to buy a large quantity of products and have them picked up by there carrier and pay with a credit card. I just tell them to buy from my web site, but they never do.

Scott
www.vmtw.com
Nottingham United Kingdom
Bigian13
Kudos: 2,245
6 May 2015
Dodgy buyers, my favourite subject !

One that I have not seen in a while, but showed its ugly head again last month, was a buyer on ebay that claimed an item not as described.

Ebay, in their wisdom, allowed the customer to send the item back to us at our cost.

The item was returned in a medium jiffy bag. This immediately raised concerns as we do not sell any item small enough to fit in one. Luckily we took videos and photos of the item prior, during and after unwrapping.

In the jiffy bag was a used roll of 2" parcel tape and some bubble wrap. The item that was sent out to them measured 30" x 20" x 8".

Ebay decided in our favour !

[Last edited: 7 May 2015]
E-commerce , love it or hate it, that's why we are here
Bigian13
7 May 2015
Another one.

On each of our paper invoices we used to have a channel specific web address to guide people to our website. That way we could track the direct traffic better. This invoice had a customer specific discount code for their first order from the website.

One customer claimed they had not received their order from ebay, around £ 60 worth, and then ordered several items from our website using their unique code. Bit of a tell tale sign !

Unfortunately for them they lived quite close to our warehouse so a visit from our "debt collection agency" soon sorted this one out.

[Last edited: 7 May 2015]
Bigian13
7 May 2015
Yet another one !

Customer claimed they had not received their item but had ordered several items from other ebay sellers and they had all arrived.

We contacted other sellers who had left automatic feedback for the same buyer, and guess what, they had been told the same story.

Not a scam according to ebay, until after several calls and live chats the case was resolved.
Bigian13
7 May 2015
Scam buyers are something that every on-line trader has to live with.

Unfortunately the cost of these scammers can cause serious financial difficulties for smaller on-line sellers.

Should a scam buyer make a purchase on their credit card and then claim that it was a fraudulent purchase, not only do you lose the goods and the postage cost, you could also have to pay the fee of around £15.00.

Before you say that you should send items tracked or require a signature, this does not matter one bit. We have had claims rejected simply because the buyer says that it is not their signature on the 'paperwork'. Even with signatures and GPS tracking on the couriers vehicles we have lost cases against buyers.

However, the one shining light is that there does appear to be more honest buyers than there are scam buyers !
NC United States
seller252gregb
Kudos: 168
8 May 2015
I have had items returned because of color not matching what they saw on their screen so it becomes item not as described so no cost to them for return. When item arrives it appears to have been used at least once but cannot be proven. I don't sell designer clothes any more.
NC United States
seller252gregb
Kudos: 168
8 May 2015
FY, I went to ProPay to branch off from PayPal and was the most expensive loss I have had. It attracted 3 scam buyers and 2 international charge backs that were lost and charged a fee. PayPal has been great to work with.
United States United States
Dappled Moon
Kudos: 77
12 May 2015
I know there must be some. Maybe not from buyers though. Scammed by other things to make money though. The ways were legitimate, but there was deception involved. wasted a lot of time on a couple of these.
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
Kudos: 11,616
12 May 2015

Dappled Moon wrote:

Scammed by other things to make money though. The ways were legitimate, but there was deception involved. wasted a lot of time on a couple of these.
I'm sorry to hear that, can you tell us any more about what happened?
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
United Kingdom United Kingdom
denisescar55
Kudos: 23
12 May 2015
Had our first charge back today in over 1000 transactions (both personal and business). Luckily only for a small amount but Pay Pal notified us that the Card issuer has been told that the buyer has not purchased this item. We are going through the process of disputing but I am annoyed that this can happen. If someone has purchased something on his Credit Card then surely they have the goods, so they should be returned to us at their cost, or the owner of the card should take it up with the Police. Why should we be out of pocket, and it is very time consuming for such a piddling amount. Very frustrating. We have a normal Cert of Posting, but hardly worth tracking costs. Why is the seller always penalised. Also anyone can say that they have not received an item (this happened a couple of times too) and we got our first negative for one which was also very annoying. E Bay seem to come down hard on sellers when most are just trying to earn a crust. One of these was an international purchase, so even though the cost of the item was small, the postage wasn't and we had to refund.

[Last edited: 12 May 2015]
United Kingdom United Kingdom
denisescar55
Kudos: 23
31 May 2015
Update on The Pay Pal Chargeback, we had our money returned by Pay Pal. We just followed their rules and gave them the information they requested, and they agreed that we should not have to repay the money to the buyer (or should I say the person who said they had not purchased the goods on their credit card).
New York United States
L. Thorne
Kudos: 33
1 Jun 2015
Hello guys,

Recently I sold an item on Amazon and after two days the client asked for a full refund. My first action, of course, was to ask what is the reason? The lady said that her son got her credit card and purchased the item. I said that I will make the refund if she sends the product back to me and cover the expenses. She said that she would do it, but when I got the package it was full of papers and other useless things.
L. Thorne
Marketing Department
www.ebuyersreviewed.com

ReplyManager
Sellware
Ad-Lister
Xpress Lister