How To Scale Up to Amazon Internationally?

Poster
ScarfKing
Kudos: 333
How To Scale Up to Amazon Internationally?
21 May 2015
I have finally gotten comfortable with Amazon.com and am homing in on multichannel listing software to link all my US platforms. However, my plan is to start selling in Europe and Canada using Amazon's international affiliates.
Any advice on how to go about this? I have brand-registry: will my ASINs be the same? Can I list directly from one Amazon platform to another? (too good to be true?)
Is it true that you can send your merchandise to one Amazon warehouse in Europe and they will parcel it out to fulfillment warehouses in different countries? Exporting to four or five different countries would be costly and time consuming.

If anyone has some tips, please let me know.

Thanks!
PS: I am in the US, as you probably have figured out

[Last edited: 21 May 2015]
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
Kudos: 11,623
Re: How To Scale Up to Amazon Internationally?
22 May 2015
Hi, great questions!

I'm going to give some links to help your research, hopefully others will have practical advice.

invworld wrote:

I have brand-registry: will my ASINs be the same?
Do you mean the GCIDs that Amazon assigns to products in the brand registry? According to this page the GCID does not change over time or across countries but the ASIN is tied to the product listing and can change. So different ASINs on different marketplaces, but tied to the same GCID. That's my understanding anyway.

invworld wrote:

Can I list directly from one Amazon platform to another?
You can have a "unified account" for the 5 Amazon EU marketplaces, and there's also one now for North America (US and Canada). These allow you to control listings on all EU marketplaces (or both North American marketplaces) from one account.

An overview: services.amazon.com/global-sel...requirements.htm?ld=NSGoogleAS
Detailed FAQs for Europe accounts: services.amazon.co.uk/faq-for-...rope-marketplaces-account.html
The North America accounts are new but some good info here: ssc.channeladvisor.com/howto/amazon-na-unified-account

invworld wrote:

Is it true that you can send your merchandise to one Amazon warehouse in Europe and they will parcel it out to fulfillment warehouses in different countries?
Yes, it's called the Amazon European Fulfilment Network.

Hope that helps! Would be great if other sellers with experience can chip in on the practicalities of it all.
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
United States United States
ScarfKing
Kudos: 333
27 May 2015
@Andy
Thanks Andy. Still working my way through the VAT tax stuff, and due to the confusing terms, I wouldn't be surprised if my Amazon UK application gets delayed. I'm also told that I need to apply for Brand Registry all over again in Europe. Slogging through.
Supplier
Worldwide United Kingdom
Christiane.sime
Kudos: 25
27 May 2015
@invworld @invworld

Hi,

Meridian Global Services provide internet retailers an outsourced service for the management, control and visibility of all EU VAT registration which includes VAT Compliance (VAT Declarations preparations and submissions) in 28 jurisdictions, more than any other single centralised service provider in the industry - consisting of all EU states and 12 key non-EU states. We will register where required, administer the ongoing filing of VAT returns, Intrastat declarations & EC Sales lists. We truly provide a fully managed service including handling all VAT matters with the VAT authorities including correspondence, request for information and advisory on any changes of VAT regulations etc.

We also have a similar service for US Sales Tax.

It would be a pleasure to help and Internet Retailers please free to give me a call for an exploratory chat

We help 100's of internet retailers daily with their compliance needs and have lots of best practice to share.

Best regards,

Christiane
0044 208 601 4602
Midlothian, VA United States
Jax Music Supply
Kudos: 2,361
27 May 2015
I looked into selling in Europe from the US (on the European sites). I ship worldwide from Amazon.US currently with no issues. However, when looking at selling on the Amazon EU, they wanted us to be responsible for all customs fees as well as VAT. I honestly do not see how that could be cost effective from the US unless you are selling your own products or just a small selection. I sell 2000+ products from some 50 manufacturers - it is almost impossible. Amazon was also next to useless in helping to navigate their process.
Bucharest Romania
Maria
Kudos: 25
10 Jun 2015

invworld wrote:

I have brand-registry: will my ASINs be the same? Can I list directly from one Amazon platform to another? (too good to be true?)
There is a workaround for this, you can upload a template with your amazon.com ASINs and it will automatically create pages (with the same ASINs) on other venues, however it only works for UK and Canada as on the other venues you would need to translate the information first.

invworld wrote:

Is it true that you can send your merchandise to one Amazon warehouse in Europe and they will parcel it out to fulfillment warehouses in different countries? Exporting to four or five different countries would be costly and time consuming.
yes, this is true. Like Andy said, the option is called EFN, and you can also enable the export option if you want to send the items all over Europe (27 states)
Maria at SellerEngine
Supplier
Seattle, Washington United States
Cascadia Seller Solutions
Kudos: 55
28 Jun 2015
EFN makes life easier and harder at the same time. If you sell items that aren't compliant in UK versus continental Europe (stuffing regulations, different plug), then you could get into hot water with regulatory authorities - and they are funded about 10x better than ours are to police the marketplace. Additionally, there's a lot more effort put into protecting the local marketplace from NGOs and marketing companies, because being compliant in Europe if you do it right is quite expensive, and the local business and international companies who have done their due diligence will help to take you down very quickly if you don't follow the (many) (expensive) rules. They typically do this by complaining to Amazon through a cease and desist letter, and then you're warned or your listings taken down.

Unless you have significant velocity and have already gotten comfortable with an import model from a lower cost country into the US, don't even bother with Europe unless you're doing low risk products like USB cables or something. Testing for a single product is at least $400, and if it's subject to a particular regulatory requirement (like if it has toys, or contains a wireless signal, or plugs into a wall, or is personal protective equipment), then it could be up to $5-10k for product testing, even in China. Working with a testing lab is fine, but depending on who you work with, you could end up paying a ridiculous sum, I've seen quotations of $8-10k when the cost should only have been $2.5k or so. Still expensive, but a lot more do-able.

Ad-Lister
Xpress Lister
2nd Office
ChannelAdvisor