eBay's new policy - reduced visibility for duplicate items

Poster
Przemek
Kudos: 50
26 May 2015
On June new ebays policy comes into life. Here some more info:
announcements.ebay.com/2015/04...e-duplicate-listings-policy-2/

I have a question regarding this point: "Other eBay sites: Separate listings may be created for the same item on different eBay sites, as long as the international shipping options don’t result in the listings cluttering the search results of any individual site.".

1. If I list the same SKU for example on ebay.de and ebay.com and both have "Worldwide shipping" option turned on, do they qualify as duplicates? Both can be seen in search results, when searching by product name for example. Even though items will be listed in different languages, product name will be still the same (in fact it will be the same product, bu listings are dedicated for different language users).

2. Even if duplicates will not occur across different language platforms, what happens when you use the same example (point 1.), but for same language platforms: ebay.com.au and ebay.ca?

3. If it happens that seller is considered by ebay as duplicating items and his items are downgraded by eBay in search terms, will he be notified about it? This would give a chance to correct the listings / shipping options across the platforms.

EDIT:

I had a chat with chat agent on ebay.co.uk regarding my concerns. Here is what I was told:

1. Selling across platforms is ok, unless items "cover" with shipping options. So you can't list the same item on ebay.de and ebay.com (example sites) and set both as shipped "worldwide". Even though these items descriptions are translated into 2 different languages.

2. Same thing (as above) applies to listings across same-language platforms (for example ebay.com.au and ebay.ca)

3. This is most interesting:
- sellers will not be notified by warnings if they have duplicate items across marketplaces (expected that)
- sellers will not be notified when their items get suppresed in search results due to duplicate listings across platforms (got surprised by that)

I think these are the bad news for multichannel sellers who wanted to offer their items to large group of customers worldwide. This is why:

a) When I list an item (for example) on ebay.com and ebay.com.au BOTH need to have turned off "Will ship worldwide" option (to do not cover with countries with item availability)
b) Item on ebay.com needs to have Australia turned off in available countries list
c) Item on ebay.com.au needs to have only Australia available for this item

Point b) and c) are quite understandable, but turning off worldwide shipping on both of those listings (point a) will cause that the item will be unavailable to a large group of countries that are not present on "available ship-to countries" list. I do not know what are your experiences, but our items were often shipped to "exotic" countries.

In this case listing item on more than 1 ebay will imply a necessity to resign from worldwide shipping to exotic countries.

Please note this informations are based on a single chat with customer support!

[Last edited: 26 May 2015]
London United Kingdom
trevorginn
Kudos: 41
26 May 2015
@Przemek I talked to eBay about this in the past and apparently if the listing are in different languages it is OK to list them twice (or at least that is what the agent said).

Overall, I find this policy a bit self defeating as you will get a customer from say Australia visiting the UK site and wanting to buy, even if the item is listed directly in Australia. if the UK item is not available to sent to Oz they can't buy it and a sale will be lost.
Trevor Ginn
Hello Baby
www.hellobabydirect.co.uk
Nottingham United Kingdom
Bigian13
Kudos: 2,251
Re: eBay's new policy - reduced visibility for duplicates
31 May 2015
@Przemek

Not only can you not list on multiple sites where the delivery options will overlap (this has been policy for a while), but you can not list the same item in different listings on the same site.

For example, we sell a lot of kids bedding. We used to list each item separately such as "Marvel Single Bedding", if we sold the double as well it might be listed as well as "Marvel Bedding Single And Double", it may also be listed as "Kids Character Bedding" with other variations.

Under the new policy you can only list each item once over multiple listings and over multiple accounts.

When I questioned eBay customer service on how this policy would be policed, whether by SKU, EAN / UPC or description they had no idea.

This policy is, according to eBay, designed to make the buyers visit better by doing away with multiple listings of the same product from the same seller. Add to this the fact that EAN / UPC will be compulsory in some categories makes me wonder if eBay will be going down the same road as Amazon with their listings !!
E-commerce , love it or hate it, that's why we are here
Bigian13
Re: eBay's new policy - reduced visibility for duplicates
31 May 2015
@trevorginn

I questioned eBay CS about the multiple language as well.

The answer to us was "It does not matter what language the body of the listing is in. If the listing is duplicated on the same site then all of the listings may be lowered in the best match results"

Once again they could not confirm how they would find a duplicated listing, eg sku / ean / upc / description.

With regard to international sales, if you set your delivery options etc correctly you do not have this problem as the local listing will be higher in best match than 'non local' listings.
Warsaw, Poland Poland
Przemek
Kudos: 50
Re: eBay's new policy - reduced visibility for duplicate
1 Jun 2015

Bigian13 wrote:

@trevorginn

The answer to us was "It does not matter what language the body of the listing is in. If the listing is duplicated on the same site then all of the listings may be lowered in the best match results"

Please note that in your case CS refered to different language versions on the same site. I asked about adding different language versions on different sites. For example - German translation on ebay.de and English translation on ebay.co.uk. But also here, once they overlap with delivery options - I have a problem.

In my opinion adding same products on different platforms should not be prohibited. The changes going on on ebay are really disquieting. It just motivates me to double efforts to make own website a primary selling channel and to treat some marketplaces as additions.
Bigian13
4 Jun 2015
@Przemek

Adding the same item on different platforms, is actually encouraged by eBay, no matter what the language. The only thing to be careful of is the overlapping delivery options.

The delivery options got us into a lot of trouble with eBay when we started using WebInterpret as part of eBays International Growth Program or whatever it was called.

Everyday we had messages from eBay, mainly from the US or Canada to say that they had removed a listing due to their 'Duplicate Listing Policy' and if we did not behave we would be removed.

Basically, delivery options were overlapping from many of our listings. We now list manually so do not have these problems.

To be honest, this is one of the few eBay policies that I do agree with. If I was looking to buy a product and it had multiple listings from the same seller, clogging up the search results but in different currencies, I may be inclined to look elsewhere.

Your own website is usually the best option for sales, but do not pass up on eBay when all you have to do is tidy up your international delivery options. Doing that actually increased our international sales !

Ian

Selro
StoreFeeder
World First
Seller Dynamics