Ebay sucking wind?

Poster
Jax Music Supply
Kudos: 2,361
Ebay sucking wind?
17 Jun 2015
I just completed my May financials and continue to see a major slide in Ebay sales - down 41% since May 2014 while Amazon continues to surge - up 71% since May 2014. Quite a bit of the Amazon growth is due to changes we have made over the last year and are starting to reap the rewards. Ebay is a bit of a puzzle to have such a drastic drop (this has been continuous for awhile). The drop in sales started in October 2014, with drastic drops in November and continuing to this point. This has continued even with adding a couple of hundred products that do sell regularly on other channels.

There are some explanations that I can come up with:

1. Google penalty. It was my understanding this happened in May, 2014 but we didn't drop until October 2014.

2. Strong dollar cutting into overseas sales. We can attribute (approximately) about 10 points out of the 41 points to a reduction in international sales. Not surprising since our products are now much more expensive.

These are the only things we can come up with to explain the drop, other than eBay just losing customers. Anyone have other information that may be helpful?
Midlothian, VA United States
Jax Music Supply
Re: Ebay sucking wind?
18 Jun 2015
Nuthin?
Supplier
Manila Philippines
2nd Office
Kudos: 550
22 Jun 2015
@Jax Music Supply

Somethings I can think of.

1. How about your competition? Not sure if you have many competitors, but if you do..they might be undercutting you if you aren't monitoring your prices on a daily basis or haven't updated your listings in a long time.

2. How are your DSR's doing?

3. Have you tried auctions? I heard some recent sellers have had great success with auctions compared to their fixed price listings.

Regarding your overseas sales, are you listing onto the actual country site or just doing international visibility?
eCommerce Staffing Solutions. Expand your team with us, so your current team can focus on innovation and save up to 70% off labor costs www.2ndoffice.co
Midlothian, VA United States
Jax Music Supply
22 Jun 2015
@2nd Office

Thanks for your response.

1. Competition is definitely an issue - there are irrational competitors. However, since Amazon is much more cutthroat than eBay (in the US), and our Amazon sales have continued to grow, I have to discount this somewhat.

2. I'm TRS with full discount, anchor store owner. Current DSRs are 5.0 across the board.

3. I run auctions weekly - usually 2 or 3. They do help drive sales somewhat. I even spend money on advertising them sometimes, but not often. I feel like if I am paying eBay 10% or so, they need to drive traffice.

4. I was listing on other sites, mostly Europe, using WebInterpret, but I dropped them as the ROI was not paying for the service. I list on Great Britain still (as they transfer over if I choose to do so) and international visibility.

Foreign sales have taken a major hit, but there is good explanation for this. While I am mostly talking about October to now, the larger trend has eBay dropping for quite awhile. It is difficult to suss out drops in sales from the last several years as the farther back you go there are changes in my niche that make it difficult to do comparisons.

I really suspect that eBay is having trouble getting eyeballs.
Nottingham United Kingdom
Bigian13
Kudos: 2,254
30 Jun 2015
@Jax Music Supply

In the UK eBay seems to be very hit and miss. Some sellers we know are reporting sales down by 20% on same time last year, others are up by the same.

Is it down to marketing ? eBay used to advertise on TV but in the run up to Christmas last year there were no eBay ads. Even the PayPal ads did not feature the eBay logo. eBay motors used to sponsor a couple of cars in the British Touring Car Championship, but I believe this has stopped. No good exposure is bad news.

The Google problem last year could also be an answer. We are still finding that some products on our own website rank higher on Google than ebay listings.

Amazon seems to be in peoples minds a lot more. They have fairly extensive TV advertising, if only for their Prime TV service. It gets their name out there.

Also, maybe buyers are getting more savvy about how to buy online. In the UK we have a bank that advertises on TV and tells customers to order an item from a website, add it to their basket, and then leave the site and wait for an email offering a discount if they come back and buy. When did eBay ever do anything like that ?

You could also talk about eBays customer service, the number of listings for identical products in search results, site outages, hacking etc etc

eBay seem to have dropped the ball, and have no clear plan to get back into the game.
E-commerce , love it or hate it, that's why we are here

Sellware
Ad-Lister
Xpress Lister
2nd Office