Amazon product reviews. Do you use fake review sites ?

Poster
UK United Kingdom
daytodayebay
Kudos: 484
Amazon product reviews. Do you use fake review sites ?
6 Jul 2015
Amazon is giving more importance to Amazon Product reviews.

We are all aware there are lot of fake review sites around. What are your thoughts ? Should we all use them ?

I have written a short post on Amazon product reviews..

I look forward to your comment.

DaytodayeBay.Your one stop eBay and Amazon Solution Provider
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
Kudos: 11,637
Re: Amazon product reviews. Do you use fake review sites ?
7 Jul 2015
"Fake" is a highly charged word and I'd be surprised if anyone would admit to using sites that simply sell reviews for cash. Amazon is taking legal action against four of those type of sites, and also changing the ranking algorithm for reviews:

CNET wrote:

The new system will give more weight to newer reviews, reviews from verified Amazon purchasers and those that more customers vote up as being helpful.
There's a big difference between buying fake reviews and doing other things to encourage reviews such as:

• Emailing buyers using a tool like FeedbackGenius or Feedback Five
  • Giving away products in person to sports teams, meetup groups, or similar and asking for reviews
  • Using a site like Snagshout to provide products to reviewers at a discount

• It's risky to give any kind of incentive for reviews, but IMO not unethical if it is properly disclosed. Amazon's own Vine program provides free products for review and you don't see much criticism of that.
    Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
    Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
    Midlothian, VA United States
    Jax Music Supply
    Kudos: 2,387
    11 Jul 2015
    No. Using a fake review service seems like the fast track to getting banned from Amazon (or most e-commerce sites).
    United States United States
    flron42
    Kudos: 27
    11 Jul 2015
    I am in the learning stage of on-line merchandising. I'm watching on-line videos, and posts like these in WebRetailer to gain as much information I can before turning my money over for one of those ("It's easy to sell products on Amazon after taking my FBA course, and make lots of $$") courses out there. Is it unethical to sell your product to someone at a deep discount, and ask for a review of the product? I heard that this method is being used to get reviews. In some cases, I understand there are forum groups designed (at least in part) for that purpose. They are composed of students/former students of certain FBA course sellers, and/or "seller coaches". It's tempting to take one of those courses in order join one of those groups with the expectation of getting reviews. Thank you.
    ASeller
    Kudos: 78
    16 Jul 2015
    I agree with Andy, I wouldn't recommend any seller offering product on Snagshout, sooner or later Amazon will crack down on them, and they might close your seller account for participating with these websites
    Herts, England United Kingdom
    Andy
    Kudos: 11,637
    16 Jul 2015
    @ASeller

Just for the record I said "There's a big difference between buying fake reviews and doing other things to encourage reviews such as... Snagshout."

I agree that Snagshout is walking a fine line, but the general principle of giving away products so they can be reviewed is very widely used in business. The scale of what they are doing and the fact that anyone can be a buyer does set it apart and might make it vulnerable - time will tell.

Might be useful here also to give links to US and UK government guidelines for online reviews:

www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/busine...-guides-what-people-are-asking
    www.gov.uk/government/publicat...rsements-advice-for-businesses

I am not a lawyer but the main point I take from it is that any incentive given to the reviewer (e.g. a free or discounted product) should be disclosed. So the reviewer should add a sentence like "I received this product at a discount in exchange for my honest review."

[Last edited: 17 Jul 2015]
    Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
    Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
    Supplier
    UK United Kingdom
    daytodayebay
    Kudos: 484
    18 Jul 2015
    Listen to this recent podcast with Andy on this topic

soundcloud.com/onlinesellerwal...ast-with-andy-from-webretailer

Let us know your thoughts on this post.
    DaytodayeBay.Your one stop eBay and Amazon Solution Provider
    Supplier
    Seller Labs
    Kudos: 105
    21 Jul 2015
    @Andy Thanks for your thoughtful response. I don't think I could have said it any better myself.
    amazonlover
    Kudos: 15
    28 Mar 2016
    @DayToDayEbay
    There are a lot of great review sites.

getbsr.com
    ilovetoreview.com
    takeactionreviews.com
    etc.

I have used all of them and it has worked out great
    Julia C.
    Kudos: 15
    2 Jun 2016
    @amazonlover

A great service is Reviews4Success.com they do more than just promote your products to their screened panel of reviewers. They offer services is you need help with creating or writing your listings, manuals, manage your social media pages, help create social media pages for your brand, get your products reviewed on blogs and so much more.
    katz74
    Kudos: 23
    12 Jun 2016
    As a reviewer for a number of sites, I will say that the best reviews are those that are original, detailed, comprehensive and they MUST include a disclaimer such as: (The first paragraph is the short version)

I ordered this product through a special promotion and this is my honest and unbiased review and only my opinion. This is based on my personally using and experiencing the product. I was in no way compensated for this review. I only recommend products that worked for me and that I think will work for my readers.

How do I rate the items I bought?
    Every product that I buy starts at 3 Stars and gets subtractions or additions as we go depending on how well it performs according to my expectation and whether the item performs as advertised. In very unusual cases where I have tried or tested an item and can’t prove that it did or didn’t work, I will likely default to 3 stars just to be neutral. Most important of all, I don’t owe a good or bad review to any product or seller; I am here to provide a constructive feedback on the items I buy in order to help you, the reader, to make an informed decision on which product to purchase to satisfy your needs.

Be aware that when I tested a product and it worked well for me, but it failed for you, it does not reflect that my review is inaccurate, it's most likely you have received a defective product, your expectations were too high or it did not perform in a way that you felt was described in the product description. In any of these cases you should get in touch with the seller to rectify the problem as soon as possible. In the case where I received item at a discount for an honest/unbiased review it does not change my opinion on a product.
    //

Sellers should be aware that Amazon is removing reviews without disclaimers. Amazon can match up reviews and reviewers who used discount codes. One thing to be aware of when using free or discount codes for products is to always make sure the codes will work and to actually have support available for the reviewers in case of problems. If a code does not work, the product won't be reviewed. I have given high ratings in the Seller Feedback to companies who were prompt and helpful with any problems.

As a final comment, I am not sure that all "reviewer/seller" sites work well, so I suggest to not drop a lot of money on them. Try out the site with one small item and see if it helps you. That makes it best for you and for the reviewers and keeps everyone happy.

2nd Office
    ChannelAdvisor
    XSellco
    Volo