Selling on Jet.com

Poster
Baltimore, Maryland, USA United States
Zentail Commerce
Kudos: 61
Selling on Jet.com
28 Jul 2015
Is anyone currently selling on Jet.com? If so, what has been your experience?

Since their highly anticipated public launch one week ago, a lot of merchants have been trying to figure out the best way to start selling on Jet.com, so I wanted to share some information which I hope is helpful.

Currently, in order to sell on Jet.com, you need to either integrate directly via API (Jet Developer Portal) or you can use a third party service such as ChannelAdvisor, CommerceHub, or Zentail Commerce.

Before you can sell on Jet.com, you need to apply to be a Jet Partner. The application is simple but the Partner Experience Team is currently dealing with an overwhelming amount of applications, so it may take a couple weeks to be admitted.

Full disclosure: At Zentail Commerce, we're making it easy to sell on Jet.com.

[Last edited: 28 Jul 2015]
Florida United States
Domoing Commerce
Kudos: 277
Re: Selling on Jet.com
28 Jul 2015
Personally i wouldn't waste you time and money and resources on expanding there.

I have launched with Walmart and BestBuy from day one. And not to lucrative yet, and lots of bugs. I would suggest investing more energy in refining what you have established already. in most cases that would usually be Amazon and Ebay.

most lucrative for me.
Amazon
Newegg
Ebay

by far! just food fro thought.
Supplier
Zentail Commerce
29 Jul 2015
@Domoing thanks for sharing your thoughts. I normally would agree with you, but Jet is different.

We've been working with the team at Jet for almost a year now and we've had the opportunity to sell on the platform through the entire beta. The level of purchasing activity we saw was beyond encouraging given limited amount of members with access at the time.

Jet.com is not like any other marketplace you've seen before. Sellers are not charged commissions, and therefore you can expect prices to be ~15% cheaper for consumers compared to Amazon's marketplace -- that's compelling for consumers and sellers. The company has raised $225mm so far, and their model requires scale in order to work. They're aiming for $20B in GMV by 2020 which any seller would like a piece of.

They're also brilliant marketers from what we have seen so far. Keep in mind they also have a $65mm marketing budget for launch through January 2016 and The Wall Street Journal has recently reported the company is in talks to raise "hundreds of millions" more at a $3B valuation. Mark and his team have disrupted this market before with Quidsi which he sold to Amazon.

I think Jet is the only serious marketplace contender to Amazon and it will be very interesting to see this story unfold over the next 6-12 months.
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
Kudos: 11,637
29 Jul 2015
So is the buyer membership fee their only source of revenue? They really do need a huge base to make money just from that.
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
Supplier
Zentail Commerce
29 Jul 2015
@Andy as of right now, based on what is publicly available information, their primary source of revenue will be membership fees. The entire business model is designed to provide the lowest possible cost to consumers and allow marketplace merchants the highest chance to win sales.

It seems only the types of goods you'd need to get in your car to pick up from local big box retailers (i.e. diapers) will be sold first party by Jet.

[Last edited: 29 Jul 2015]
Florida United States
Domoing Commerce
Kudos: 277
29 Jul 2015
$50 per person membership a year. Gives you access to website to purchase. with a 3 month trial incentive. not to bad.

Not going to lie the rates are cheaper then amazon! But what about there shipping service? Do they have anything like prime? FBA service? or is it only buyers to merchant type of service?

It says "Integrate with the Jet API, either directly or via our trusted partners ChannelAdvisor or CommerceHub"

There is no way i will give Channel Advisor more money!

Called CommerceHub and they want $2500 a month,a whooping total of $30,000 just for there service which only works if you have FTP capability.
Don't have an active platform to put in product information. Not worth for just one market place.

FYI CommerceHub used to be Mercent! Ended changing there name for who know for what reason. LoL

4 years ago those were the top 2 Channel Advisor and Mercent. Glad i picked Channel Advisor. Haha

Is there API complicated to integrate with?
Do they have a seller dashboard like every other market place?

So unless you are already dishing out tons of money, not worth it for small businesses.

Let me know if i missed anything
Andy
29 Jul 2015

Domoing wrote:

FYI CommerceHub used to be Mercent! Ended changing there name for who know for what reason. LoL
Just on that point, CommerceHub was a different company that acquired Mercent then absorbed the Mercent product into their "CommerceHub ProductStream". Not the catchiest product name there!
United States United States
Kudos: 43
30 Jul 2015
@Zentail Commerce
great information!! thanks
Andy
31 Jul 2015
Just came across this story about Jet's business model.

www.adweek.com/news/technology...ss-strategy-sustainable-166031

Hoboken, N.J.-based Jet.com puts a twist on the Amazon model, routinely filling orders by actually buying products from other websites like JCPenney.com or Walmart.com before shipping them off. What's more, it guarantees the lowest prices on roughly 10 million items. So, it's going to end up constantly purchasing items at a certain cost, then taking a loss by reselling them at lower prices.
Interesting reading
ASeller
Kudos: 78
27 Aug 2015
Hey sellers, I was just wandering if you people sold anything on jet?.
Supplier
Zentail Commerce
27 Aug 2015
@ASeller while we can't disclose specific numbers, we can say that sales are coming in and at a considerably higher average oder value thanks to their Smart Cart algorithm.
ListonJet
Kudos: 15
2 Oct 2015
We have talked with a lot of seller who are approved to sell but just struggling to get listing due to the API requirements for creation of new listings. Jet.com is really picking up their marketing and I seem to see a TV commercial now almost every hour pushing the channel so I am sure it will be picking up. I have not had a lot of feedback from buyers yet regarding their experience (cost savings) compared to Amazon or eBay but the info I have read seems to show that on average items are cheaper on Jet.com comparatively speaking.

To help sellers with getting new listings out to Jet.com, we are releasing a new software service called List on Jet.com which will give sellers an affordable way to get going without having to hire a developer on their own. Here is a quick link to the site www.ListonJet.com - we are currently in BETA and will be releasing toward the end of October 2015 (this month). If you are interested in being notified as soon as we are launched, sign up using the contact form and we will be sending out updates as soon as it is live for use.

Thanks and best of luck with your selling on Jet.com!
Supplier
Shenzhen China
ChinaDivision
Kudos: 119
16 Oct 2015
@Zentail Commerce

Thank you for your posting. As far as I know, to be a jet partner is very hard to success according to our customers' feedback. I would like to know whether they could apply a partner by themselves and not a third party service.

Are there any special requirements? thank you
ChinaDivision.com - Highly customized worldwide e-commerce order fulfillment from China. No Minimum! Managing your Shipments and Inventory with one click.
Andy
16 Oct 2015

ChinaDivision wrote:

I would like to know whether they could apply a partner by themselves and not a third party service.
Yes, you can apply to be a Jet partner directly and develop your own integration with their API: partner.jet.com/

Ad-Lister
Xpress Lister
2nd Office
ChannelAdvisor