Should eBay have gone all in tracked ?

Poster
Bigian13
Kudos: 2,254
Should eBay have gone all in tracked ?
12 Sep 2015
With the new changes regarding DSRs' etc. would it not have been easier for eBay to say that all sellers must send their items tracked ? At least then it would have been a level playing field (or at least reasonably so).

You will still be able to send your item non tracked, but then have to rely on a buyer to say if the item arrived on time in their feedback, but what if it was delivered to a neighbour who then went away for a few days ? Or what if a card was put through your door and you couldn't be bothered to pick it up for a couple of days ? Is that delivered on time ?

Once again, eBay seem to have a good idea, but only thought about half of the consequences. Or is this a knee jerk reaction because Amazon are now including delivery metrics in their ratings ?

I miss the real eBay of old !!!!!!

[Last edited: 12 Sep 2015]
E-commerce , love it or hate it, that's why we are here
Midlothian, VA United States
Jax Music Supply
Kudos: 2,372
Re: Should eBay have gone all in tracked ?
13 Sep 2015
@Bigian13

Well, if there is no acceptance scan then you are leaving everything to the purchaser. Why would you do that unless you are a very casual seller? If you work to get everything shipped, and they have been scanned accepted, you cannot get a defect if it arrives late due to no fault of your own. I think this is an improvement. Anyone who is sending an order without tracking probably doesn't have the volume to worry about.
UK United Kingdom
coolcity
Kudos: 47
Re: Should eBay have gone all in tracked ?
15 Sep 2015
@Bigian13

...and wipe out sales of the millions of low priced items (say £10 or less) that make up a huge proportion of eBay sales?

There may not be a great deal of profit on these items but the are cheap to buy in, drive up feedback and most importantly drive up sales. Auctioning off a few such items on a regular basis also seems to help drive traffic and thus sales.

Royal Mail have already done a massive job of making sure a lot of people can't buy thousands of low value items online by destroying the market, because anything over an inch thick (including packaging) costs almost £3 to send - £4 tracked - and nobody is going to buy a low value item and pay £4 for delivery.

Those items that are small enough to send cheaply sell in their millions and although admittedly many come from Chinese sellers, eBay are not about to wave away the income from millions of sales like Royal Mail have done. With respect it sounds like it's not only eBay who has not thought this through.

We have reached the point where we traditionally moan every time eBay change anything which is understandable considering their track record but for what it's worth I think the changes are generally helpful for once. I have long maintained that eBay's biggest problem is that they do not understand retailing, but at least the new rules do not penalise us for every tiny little thing that goes wrong and that's a very welcome change in my book, flawed or not.

I miss the old eBay too though, introducing Best Match seems to have worked for some but it decimated our business.

Seller Dynamics
ReplyManager
Sellware
Ad-Lister