Best 'All in one' ebay/ecommerce site?

Poster
StatisticsLover
Kudos: 40
Best 'All in one' ebay/ecommerce site?
6 Oct 2006
Greetings from Kevin in Ipswich, Mass.
I'm thinking of trying my hand again at ecommerce. I had 3 Yahoo! Stores a while back that flunked.
I'm thinking of trying eBay. I think to save on eBay fees, I should get my own 'all in one' ecommerce site, and do 'store listings' to eBay.
I would like to try making a small business out of this. (I'm interested in consignment and drop ship too.)
What would be your best value for an 'all in one' ecommerce site for eBay listings?
Thank you, Kevin.
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
Kudos: 11,616
Re: Best 'All in one' ebay/ecommerce site?
8 Oct 2006
Hi Kevin

It sounds like you are interested in a lot of different areas - ecommerce and store listings are typically from product line-based inventory, whereas consignment sales are normally all unique items. Drop shipping is something else again.

I think it would help if you can nail down an area where you have something to add to the market, and that interests you. That would be good for your business plan, and help direct you to software that fits your needs.
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
United States United States
captaindave
Kudos: 85
8 Oct 2006
Hi Kevin,

It sounds like you need to find a product that you can sell online at a sufficient margin before you worry about what web site or solution you use. If your first three Yahoo Stores failed, it was for a reason. Maybe there was no demand for your product, or no demand for your product at your price point, or perhaps you were not marketing it appropriately. I would recommend that you solve these problems first. In other words, test several products on eBay until you find a consistent seller with at least a 50% margin before you tackle the question you pose. Once you find something that works, build your scale and expand your product depth or add complimentary products.

But to answer your question, in my experience ChannelAdvisor is probably the best solution for multi channel e-commerce on a medium to large scale. They are improving their stores and they make listing on eBay a snap. However, it takes a signfificant investment of dollars and time to get up and running with Channel Advisor Merchant. You also have to have good internal processes and good business sense or it will be for naught. Plenty of large eBay sellers go NARU every year, and it has nothing to do with their listing software or e-commerce package.

Captain Dave
StatisticsLover
8 Oct 2006
Hi Andy: Thank you very much for responding. Well, I think I learned my lesson in dropship plans last time I had stores.
Just think, if a company can profit by giving you "wholesale" prices on thier dropship merchandise, this means thier unit cost has to be even less than yours. Let's see...if thier COGS is less than your COGS, who is going to be able to offer the lower price? (Hint: not you). So skip dropship.
Now consignment, as you mentioned, this is an area where some unique merchandise can be found. Wouldn't you love to have some very unique (read low competition) merchandise that not every tom dick and harry has for the same price as yours, (or lower?) (Sorry Walmart!) I know I would!!
As for 'all in one' ecommerce sites, I'm looking at Vendio very closely. They seem to have everything I want, at good rates, too! And they are an auction oriented site, with plenty of auction tools, rather than just a generic ecommerce host site.
Anyways, thank you very much for your advise. I am looking into what I might be able to procure, and sell at a profit.
StatisticsLover
8 Oct 2006
Hi Captain Dave! Thank you very much for your advice!
Regarding the last time I failed at ecommerce, I was using dropship plans. Quite frankly, dropship plans don't have 50% margins. In fact, as far as I'm concerned, they don't really have any profit margin. I think this whole dropship plan idea is somebodys idea for (hopefully) making money that is not very feasible.
So I'm going to stay away from dropship plans! You are right-I need to find some merchandise that i can get at a good profit margin. (Which aint easy!) I have a couple of ideas I will be looking into, however.
Thank you for your advice about the service that you like. I will certainly look into it. Right now I'm looking at Vendio. They seem really good.
Yes, I know it may seem premature to be thinking of my own store, but I like to think ahead, so I can have a fairly complete business plan. But I will be looking into finding merchandise with profit potential. I think this is the most challenging task for any vendor. Thank you again, Captain!
StatisticsLover
8 Oct 2006
Hi Captain Dave (again)! Yes, I have heard of ChannelAdvisorMerchant. From what I gather, it is good, but expensive. Also, for someone just starting out, like me, it might be overkill.
I have read that Laris is cheaper than ChannelAdvisorMerchant. But when I looked at Laris' offerings, I wasn't all that impressed.
Anyways, as I wrote, I'm looking into Vendio right now. They look pretty good.
I'd like to share my merchandising ideas with you, but I'm afraid someone might 'steal' my thoughts!
captaindave
Kudos: 85
9 Oct 2006
Hi Kevin,

I have a few drop ship products that we sell. They are all either too expensive for me to want to inventory ($1500+) or too heavy to justify shipping around the country, or both. For example, before Y2K, I sold big diesel generators. I had one as a sample, and I drop shipped the rest. It didn't make sense to ship them from California to the East Coast, only to ship them back to a customer in Kansas. But I agree, it is hard to get a decent margin on most drop ship products, especially small items where the drop ship fee eats up your profit.

Sometimes I inventory items but will drop ship large lots. For example, I sell MREs by the case, but if you want a pallet, I'll drop ship them from whichever of my suppliers is closest to you.

Yes, Channel Advisor Merchant is expensive and I don't think people should start there. Try TurboLister to get started. eBay stores work fine too, you just have to fine tune your mix of store products and use auctions and fixed price lsitings to drive store traffic. I think this is a better first step than drivign traffic to a non-eBay store.

I don't know much about Vendio. Whatever you use, make sure it can handle the administrative back end as well as the listings.

Good luck!
StatisticsLover
9 Oct 2006
Hi Captain Dave: Great advice! Thank you very much
I will definitelly check out TurboListings.
I was wondering if an eBay store would be worth the time and money. According to you, yes, it would be. I guess it is just another way of getting your name/business out there. Probably more of a advertising effort than an income generator, although I imagine you would get a few sales on eBay store.
Anyways, thank you SO much for your advice. Sounds like you are very experienced and successful! Keep up the great work, and best luck to you as well. I'll keep you posted on how I set things up, and how they are going.
Supplier
Hoboken, NJ United States
redstage networks
Kudos: 255
30 Oct 2006
Hi StatisticsLover,

You may like to give us another look. We have basically all of the offerings of CA Merchant with a much cleaner interface. We're always available for a free 15-20 minute demonstration and then give you a free 10-day trial license of the full version. What have you got to lose?

Laris Website
Redstage Internet Marketing Solutions
Internet Marketing Strategies | SEO | PPC | Social Media
www.redstagesolutions.com
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Poppygirl
Kudos: 211
17 Nov 2006
Sell centre, are you kyosou? Thats the application used to launch your open listings? Is this a re-brand? Or are you a re-seller?
Supplier
Hoboken, NJ United States
redstage networks
Kudos: 255
17 Nov 2006
Well, we're an ecommerce company, not a software company. We license Kyozou's back-end (we felt that they were the best software to compliment our business and we had already been using them for years).

Sell Center focuses on the small to medium sized business. As powersellers and multi-venue sellers ourselves, we have a perspective that the software companies don't. We can show you not only how to use the software, but how to use the software to grow your business.

Our clients are very happy with the level of service we have provided them, and we continue to take on new clients daily. Please check us out if you are interested.
Redstage Internet Marketing Solutions
Internet Marketing Strategies | SEO | PPC | Social Media
www.redstagesolutions.com
Supplier
Canada Canada
Resellers Solutions
Kudos: 35
26 Nov 2006
Hi Kevin;

A biased but cost-effective answer for your query.
Our company provides an eBay integrated ecommerce storefront.

You can market both on-line via the numerous channels available, and select any or all of your estores products to be integrated into eBay Auctions or Stores with a click of a button. No image hosting required, no copy and pasting, no duplication. Saves you money and TIME!!

The software has been integrated for eBay USA, Canada, UK and Australia, comes with a 30-Day Free Trial and monthly rate is $29.95.

We have also partnered with several drop-ship suppliers to offer product-integrated storefronts should this be of interest as well.

Hope this helps.
Rob Siegmund
Resellers Solutions
An eBay Integrated ecommerce solution
www.resellers-solutions.com

ChannelAdvisor
XSellco
Volo
Selro