What's your best piece of advice for new sellers?

Poster
Andy
Kudos: 11,616
What's your best piece of advice for new sellers?
2 Oct 2015
If you've been in this business for a while (say a year or more) there will be many things you know that a really new online seller would have no idea about.

So what is you best piece of advice for new sellers?

Maybe there's something you always tell new sellers that you meet, or something you wish you had knew when you started.

I'm sure the newer sellers here will really appreciate your input!
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
Garland, Texas United States
Retail Web Diva
Kudos: 150
Re: What's your best piece of advice for new sellers?
2 Oct 2015
@Andy Wow, that's a very good question! I would say the most important thing is to focus on one "challenge" at a time. It's really very easy to become overwhelmed when there is so much to learn and so much to do. Do one thing until you are good at it and then go to the next thing.
Lawanna Bean
Helena, AL United States
HenryN
Kudos: 56
2 Oct 2015
Andy, if I have to narrow it to one piece of advice I would say find a niche you are passionate about and become an expert in that niche.
Henry
San Francisco, Phoenix, LA United States
lisamarieblaskie
Kudos: 76
2 Oct 2015
@Andy I have several thoughts but for just one for someone starting out...

Learn to be a sponge, join like interest biz groups soak in everything and research ask others for ideas
Garland, Texas United States
Retail Web Diva
Kudos: 150
2 Oct 2015
@HenryN Great advice! I agree 100%!
Lawanna Bean
London New York Toronto United Kingdom
john.obrien
Kudos: 61
2 Oct 2015
Yes BIG question indeed ! I would recommend to focus on marketing, you may have best product and best systems developed but if no one knows about you then you will die a slow death waiting for the clicks. Then back it all up with superb customer service and feedback. Oh and good luck and have a great time!
NC United States
seller252gregb
Kudos: 168
2 Oct 2015
@HenryN , I agree that you can't know too much about any niche and by specializing in an area you enjoy you can carve a solid piece of pie and marketing yourself becomes easy and specific for buyers to find you.
United States United States
iceman8564
Kudos: 30
5 Oct 2015
Take ACTION, if even just a little every day.
Find good mentors - and join a group or find peers that are doing the same thing as you. You are the average of the folks you surround yourself with.
Midlothian, VA United States
Jax Music Supply
Kudos: 2,361
6 Oct 2015
I would say, as I often have here, be very careful how you price. Make sure you include some overhead and contingency in your pricing. It is very easy to mis-price and you may not realize it until a lot of money has gone down the drain.
Supplier
Derry United Kingdom
repricerexpress
Kudos: 185
8 Oct 2015
Give accurate product information
Amazon can tell which sellers are selling the same product through the ASIN or UPC. Online shoppers make the purchasing decision based on this product information, so ensure it is accurate and informative to help boost your sales.
Win the Buy Box more often with RepricerExpress Amazon Repricing Software.
Florida United States
Domoing Commerce
Kudos: 277
9 Oct 2015
I can say i agree with everyone! But then again there are alot of older adults here that have there fixed way of doing business. IMO not correct way for this modern market that is constantly changing! You must adapt to the trend instead of resisting it.

I do agree with @ john.obrien!

Assuming you have the right cost in whatever market your in!

Marketing is very important! But don't go crazy with Google Adwords! If you don't have good Meta keywords people will not find you on google.

But if you are selling on Amazon I can't stress enough CUSTOMER SERVICE! This is the best way to truly compete against large sellers. Offer what they can't! Large sellers are usually to busy to give proper service, and give prompt replies to all inquiries. Can lock in a sale!

Utilize as many tools as possible and make this automated. Deploying each one at a time to ensure proper setup. Take one challenge one step at a time.

FYI The majority of tools are on this community forums. Google will find you solutions but there usually not fair pricing, First results are people i call "pay to win system".

I'm always open to questions if anyone has any! Haha
Nottingham United Kingdom
Bigian13
Kudos: 2,245
14 Oct 2015
Four simple rules:
  • Sell a product your customers want to buy ( not just one you want to sell !)
  • Get your pricing right
  • Get your orders delivered on time
  • Give great customer service.

• [Last edited: 14 Oct 2015]
    E-commerce , love it or hate it, that's why we are here
    Herts United Kingdom
    HarleyKev
    Kudos: 59
    7 Nov 2015
    Many years ago I took one simple 'nugget' away from a sales seminar that I attended; little did I know that it was to become one of the most important pieces of info ever passed to me, and it has been my guiding tenet ever since.

The statement was.....

"Anyone can sell...... provided the item was purchased at the right price in the first instance."

This statement has even more relevance in the competitive world of web sales.

Research your competition, research suppliers, and then research a little bit more, BEFORE you buy your stock.

I always aim to take a product to market that, should it all go wrong, I can sell off with no loss, or a very small loss at worst.
    New Jersey United States
    sujjal
    Kudos: 171
    10 Nov 2015
    Everyone is right. You need to be careful with your pricing, product and promotion. The 3Ps. After that, you need to be extra careful with the customer service. Be ready to deal with all kind of customers.

Another most important thing I would like to point out is, The Prioritising. You may counter unlimited tasks, ideas and things you may want to do and things that piled up. You need to decide the priority of tasks. The most important tasks(which affect your business) should be on the top list.

[Last edited: 10 Nov 2015]
    eCommerce Consultant
    Ted
    Germany Germany
    Ted
    Kudos: 104
    26 Nov 2015
    Do your research & keep it simple. So many people I know wanted to sell whatever they liked & had no idea of what the market looked like.

When you don't know what these items sell for through the channel you are selling on, how can you know what to pay? Once you get going & have a simple plan wrapped around your finger, you can start selling less for more but it takes time.

Also, know your surroundings. Wherever you live, there is probably something special that others want. Take note of what you always see & is easy for you to get. Then find out if it is worth selling.

Good luck!
    Ted

Ad-Lister
    Xpress Lister
    2nd Office
    ChannelAdvisor