Feedback on Site Issues

Poster
Steph.PL
Kudos: 60
Feedback on Site Issues
9 Oct 2015
Hi all. I posted a bit about this in the intro thread, but @Andy recommended I start my own thread, as well. My site is called Purple Laurel, and we sell apparel for new moms.

When we first launched a few weeks ago, orders were coming in slowly but steadily. (One or two each day) Then, a few weeks in, the orders suddenly stopped. I'd been fiddling around with Google Adwords around that same time, but I don't think that's the problem. People are still clicking onto my site, they just aren't converting anymore.

I'm getting traffic through a combination of Google AdWords (search and display) and Facebook advertising. With a very small budget, we're getting around 100 unique visitors each day. One or two of those will add something to a cart, but zero will convert. I would be willing to increase the PPC budget if it was bringing in customers, but right now it seems wasted until I can figure out if there's a larger issue going on.

I've tried to make a purchase myself, and there doesn't seem to be any problems there. I don't know if it's that our price point is too high, if shipping is too expensive (was $5.99, just dropped to $2.99) or if something else is going on??

So now I'm coming to you all ... what do you think it could be?
Florida United States
Domoing Commerce
Kudos: 277
Re: Feedback on Site Issues
9 Oct 2015
@Steph.PL

Hello! For starters i love the home page! But i think i know why you are having this problem. I have had the same problem on my website for a while. You need to see what others think about your website and see how they navigate through it, rather then yourself. It's not about what you like but what the consumers like! Haha

Now me as a "customer" home page is really engaging, But once you start clicking is when i'm turned away. Back ground color is white and the font is hard to read. The other thing i fined odd is the display of products. You have one large and to small next to it. and vise versa as you go down. Not a clean layout IMO. As for the categories they are on the middle top of the page, and consumers are sadly accustomed to it being a list on the left side.

I have a Hamburger drop menu but people don't us it, so i have to change it back to a more traditional look.

Google Adwords are great but be careful, it can dent your wallet if not careful. There are more efficient ways to direct traffic to your site, and us that saved money in web development or any other area.

I can give you more details if you would like. Feel free to message me!
Florida United States
Domoing Commerce
9 Oct 2015
@Steph.PL

I didn't check but don't go crazy with pricing and dropping the price to much. I would suggest looking at other websites including amazon and i would recommend having a similar pricing structure maybe undercut them a bit till you establish your brand.

xD okay i'm done ranting haha
United States United States
Steph.PL
9 Oct 2015
Thanks @Domoing Commerce.

I can see what you're saying about the product page layout, and I think changing it to a series of straight rows should be pretty easy. I had a hamburger menu for a while, but I figured people weren't clicking on it anyway so I nixed it. I'll have to look into moving the categories to the left-hand side.

I'd love to hear more about your strategies for generating traffic. I'll send you a PM!
Florida United States
Domoing Commerce
9 Oct 2015
@Steph.PL

Feel free to ask more, send me a PM! Ill be more then glad to jump on a phone call when i get a change and can simply everything. Haha
Kansas City, Missouri United States
Highway 58
Kudos: 33
13 Oct 2015
@Steph.Hi I viewed your site very quickly, I'm a mature woman so wouldn't have an interest in what you sell. I did click on the contact us link and nearly missed the tab for the chat box in the lower left corner, and it said you weren't available. It's 10:45 CST on Tuesday morning.

Just curious if that is correct? If so I'd definitely make myself available for CS.

Disclaimer~I'm not an expert, just my short humble experience on your site. Good luck and wishing you great things with your business.

Delores/AKA highway58
Self- trust is the first secret to success"-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Florida United States
Domoing Commerce
13 Oct 2015
@Highway 58

I can't find this contact us button.

This link doesn't work for me.

purplelaurel.com/pages/contact-us
United States United States
Steph.PL
13 Oct 2015
Thanks @Highway 58. I do all the customer service myself, so if I'm not at the computer I have to set live chat to away. But it's a good reminder to try to keep the dashboard open for new chats as much as humanly possible!

@Domoing Commerce Where did you find this link purplelaurel.com/pages/contact-us
I have our contact information posted on the homepage and on the About Us page.

Should I create a separate Contact Us page, as well, or is the Live Chat widget sufficient? I also have links to email support underneath nearly every product listing.
Florida United States
Domoing Commerce
13 Oct 2015
@Steph.PL

i typed it in thinking it was page.

purplelaurel.com/pages/about-us

just replaced with /contact-us

i still don't see this contact link/ button for contact us. do you have a contact us button?

Best Regards,
Andy
Kansas City, Missouri United States
Highway 58
Kudos: 33
13 Oct 2015
@Steph.PL Oh and I love the belly band! Great idea! I could have used this about 40 years ago.
That's the one product I clicked on to view and saw the clickable "support team" link and the chat box came up.

Again, good luck with your site.
Self- trust is the first secret to success"-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Volo
Selro
StoreFeeder
World First