Best way to get product information from websites?
Closed

Poster
United States United States
KAB
Kudos: 28
Best way to get product information from websites?
14 Oct 2015
As our business grows we are finding it harder to keep up with up dating our inventory from our suppliers. We like to know the best way we can pull the items full information from their websites to an excel file. This should include the products title, pricing, image URL and more. We are aware there are programs that can do this but do not know what they are, Thank you
Florida United States
Domoing Commerce
Kudos: 277
Re: Best way to get product information from websites?
15 Oct 2015
@KAB

I know www.ebridgeconnections.com/ does connections but i don't know if that is the best solutions. But best thing you can do it have it setup to pull down items from sales when they reach a low inventory amount. But with excels being pulled everyday will be a lot of tedious work almost everyday. But if you have the clearance to do it with your supplier you can setup a connection so you can always get a live feed of there inventory. In my work we don't any type of solution like that. Seems bit pricey and very complex to setup.

Best Regards,
Andy Silvi
Supplier
Shenzhen China
ChinaDivision
Kudos: 119
16 Oct 2015
Hi, if you just need to keep up with up dating your inventory, an inventory software like ERP can meet your needs. Every program has its own function, if it can not meet your needs, you should hire a IT team to develop it for you if you like. Or search for another powerful program. There is no other ways according to my experience.
ChinaDivision.com - Highly customized worldwide e-commerce order fulfillment from China. No Minimum! Managing your Shipments and Inventory with one click.
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
Kudos: 11,616
16 Oct 2015

KAB wrote:

We like to know the best way we can pull the items full information from their websites to an excel file.
This question on Quora has some good suggestions:

www.quora.com/What-is-the-easi...bsites-for-product-information

Note that If you look into general-purpose page scraping components like Scrapy, you will need a developer to build it into an application for you.

The less technical solutions like import.io/ might be better for you or a commercial ecommerce site scraper like Prisync or these others: www.webretailer.com/categories...vice.asp?category=194#profiles . There's also HubLogix which specializes in connecting to suppliers.

Of course if your suppliers can produce a regularly updated CSV (or similar) themselves that would be a much simpler solution.

Hope that helps!
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
KAB
KAB
Kudos: 28
16 Oct 2015
@Andy Thank you, Sorry for not being clear in what we are looking for. Our suppliers have incomplete spread sheets of their inventory feeds. We like to upload the items to our site but are being held back because of this. We are looking for a program that can scrap this information from their website. from titles to pricing and to images and more. We do not need it to keep track of inventory. Thank you
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
Kudos: 11,616
16 Oct 2015
@KAB OK, got it.

As a one-time exercise a lot of people will do it manually, often by outsourcing. Here's an interview I did which includes info about a company doing that:

www.webretailer.com/lean-commerce/clearance-sports-bubble/

Skip down to "So how did you get the project started?" if you just want to read about how they cleaned up and "enriched" the data.

Does that help?
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
United Kingdom United Kingdom
ahurworth
Kudos: 15
20 Oct 2015
...What Andy said.
I work for a manufacturer, and I'd say the best way to get going is to just ask for the data.
We make office products, so within limits we'll work to format it as you need, and supply it on a CD with spreadsheet, FTP, WeTransfer etc etc.
That said this is a competitive field with a well-established & respected standards body (BOSS).
It also helps that we have dedicated UK marketing team able to work with you to build your sales.

I guess this is one of the advantages of working with brands rather than doing it alone with unbranded products.
Paul Black
Kudos: 15
15 Aug 2016
Using some web scrapers to get data from the web can be the best way.
You may look into some web scrapers like octoparse

Or use APIs provided by that website.

ReplyManager
Sellware
Ad-Lister
Xpress Lister