Are you doing deals for Black Friday or Cyber Monday?

Poster
Bigian13
Kudos: 2,313
11 Nov 2015
There was a lot of hype last year in the UK media about 'Black Friday' and 'Cyber Monday'. Not a lot of it was good, especially in B&M stores, many of which have said that they will not do it again due to security concerns.

We are not doing any deals over this weekend on the internet, despite repeated requests from Amazon.

Is anybody doing deals over this overrated weekend, and if so why ?

[Last edited by moderator: Made the title more descriptive — 13 Nov 2015]
E-commerce , love it or hate it, that's why we are here
Hartlepool United Kingdom
prebeat
Kudos: 49
Re: Black Friday and Cyber Monday
11 Nov 2015
We are still trying to make the decision of what to do. Our original plan was to do deals - but it would only every be for the one single day of Black Friday and not for the full weekend.

Only yesterday are we starting to consider not doing anything, but last year was successful for us.
Herts, England United Kingdom
Andy
Kudos: 11,661
Re: Black Friday and Cyber Monday
13 Nov 2015
@Bigian13 I hope you don't mind me piggybacking on your question but I think it's a great one and would like to open it up to everyone (not just UK) and see if we can hear from more sellers...

Why or why not?
Andy Geldman, Web Retailer
Please follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
NC United States
seller252gregb
Kudos: 171
Re: Are you doing deals for Black Friday or Cyber Monday?
19 Nov 2015
Not doing any specials as there are too many out there. I am a OOAK seller so don't have the inventory to slash prices. I feel like it is driving at night with a flashlight.
Midlothian, VA United States
Jax Music Supply
Kudos: 2,387
21 Nov 2015
I don't do anything spectacular. I will usually do some discounts in an email blast to existing customers (coupon code) but nothing other than the usual sales on market places - buy more, get a discount (saves on shipping). My pricing is very fluid - I change it several times a day using an automated pricer that is then transferred to all market places as well as my websites. Generally speaking, my opinion is that Black Friday and Cyber Monday are overrated here in the US. The prices are not that good. Looking back at last year, my biggest week was the week of December 7th, well after the BF and CM weeks.

[Last edited: 21 Nov 2015]
United States United States
jackp
Kudos: 18
22 Nov 2015
Both days are among our eight highest volume days of the year without doing anything special. We have set a profitable floor for over 30,000 items, so our repricer will dip down to that level if necessary.
Sharen
Kudos: 52
26 Nov 2015
I am not into deals right now as I am new at this. Actually, I have never attended a Black Friday event, believe it or not, but this year I will use the discounts of Black Friday as a buyer to purchase a mattress.
Canada Canada
melissagosse6
Kudos: 45
27 Nov 2015
@Bigian13 I agree it is an overrated weekend. However, for ecommerce stores, it can be a really big success for a company. So for example, us at www.canirank.com are keeping a sale on (extended for black friday) for people. The plus I see in ecommerce stores (more so retail vs. services) doing black friday sales, it hopefully can keep people out of the physical stores and malls therefore reducing the trampling rates and help with security more.
Mel G.
CanIRank - Free SEO intelligence tool for ecommerce owners
www.canirank.com
Kerala India
mathew79
Kudos: 36
29 Nov 2015
@Bigian13 YES...Discounts & Free Shipping Worldwide .. and many other attractive offers...
ScarfKing
Kudos: 333
30 Nov 2015
No Deals. Friday was still our best day ever on Amazon in 1.5 years.
Scotland United Kingdom
FBA Book Flipper
Kudos: 63
1 Dec 2015
I ran a Black Friday deal from Friday through to Monday on a digital item and it sold incredibly well. I appreciate that as it's a digital item I don't face the same profit margin and stock issues as someone who is selling physical products but the large discount and scarcity aspect created a surge in sales for sure.

I would not have been able to offer the same discounts had this been a physical product though.
FBA - Book of Profits: Selling used books on Amazon for 500% profits
Nottingham United Kingdom
Bigian13
Kudos: 2,313
2 Dec 2015
Well we did a bit of research, made a couple of calls and sent a couple of emails to our suppliers for info and actually put prices up on many of our most popular items.

We had our busiest weekend in over 3 years thanks to the hype and buyers expecting everybody to be offering a deal (even though we were not).

Bring on the January sales !!!!!!
E-commerce , love it or hate it, that's why we are here

World First
Seller Dynamics
ReplyManager
Sellware