E-commerce channels, QuickBooks Desktop, and Retail
Closed

Poster
chrism
Kudos: 47
E-commerce channels, QuickBooks Desktop, and Retail
20 Nov 2015
Hey, this is my first post on the forum and I really look forward to maintaining a membership precense on this website and helping out where I can

I have a few questions that inevitibly brought me to this website as it seems to be an abundance of information. I work IT for a small ecomerce business wth a retail and accounting front. We're currently having a lot of logistical issues when it comes to maintaining our different sales channels and our inventory, and I'd really appreciate a possible software solution.

Our retail front and central inventory management is handled by Quickbooks Point of Sale, which exports all data automatically to our bookkeeping software (Quickbooks Enterprise). We're currently selling on our website (Hosted by BigCommerce), as well as Amazon and Ebay (we hope to expand to other outlets such as Etsy in the future). Our different e-commerce software doesn't seem to integrate with QuickBooks enterprise in any way, and I can't even figure out a way to import the sales data into QuickBooks enterprise or Point of Sale, meaning that we have to manually input all orders. We would really like to streamline this process by implenting software that automates it or simplifies it.

As mentioned, our central inventory management is based on Quickbooks Point of Sale Desktop. We would really like to move it to our centralized multichannel software, whatever that might end up being.

I've spent a decent amount of time researcing a potential solution to this and I can't seem to find a reasonably priced one. Like I said, we're a small business and the site time that I have available as the system administrator can't be entirely dedicated to this so I thought I'd reach a hand out to a seemingly remarkable community. Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to prvide.
United States United States
jfdevinejr465
Kudos: 16
Re: E-commerce channels, QuickBooks Desktop, and Retail
24 Nov 2015
Try aaatex-, works in some environments.
aaatex.com/QuickBooks_Shopping_Cart_Integrator_Prices.htm
chrism
24 Nov 2015
@jfdevinejr465 Thankyou for your suggestion, I'm actually going to keep that bookmarked as it seems like something I would use down the road.
ScarfKing
Kudos: 333
24 Nov 2015
@chrism

I've been through the same process. I would say, choose your MCL software first. I evaluated 7 platforms and went with Ecomdash due to value, customer support, flexibility and the fact that they actually deliver their updates and improvements ahead of schedule, which I have found to be unusual among the young, ambitious companies that make up this sector (MCL).

I also have an excellent brick and mortar POS system (Microsoft RMS POS) which I really like but which is becoming more and more stranded. I am looking at Vend, as they integrate directly with Ecomdash. If I were you, I wouldn't be too attached to QB POS. I don't think it's the cheapest or best.

One thing I would say is: you don't really need every sale in your bookkeeping, do you? I think once you try to start matching your top line sales and then include the labyrinth of chargebacks, refunds, shipping costs and other inscrutable subtractions from your payments from just Amazon.com, trying to reconcile the sales reported with your actual bank deposits would be a nightmare. There might be an all-in-one solution out there, but I just keep my QB books separate from my sales software, and just do monthly inventory on hand updates to have accurate COGS.

Would love to hear about how to track top-line vs bottom line costs in a meaningful way from someone out there who might know more about it than me.
chrism
24 Nov 2015
@ScarfKing We thoroughly hate QB PoS. Thankyou so much for your suggestions, i'll be looking into them soon.
ScarfKing
24 Nov 2015
@chrism
Believe me, I was actually exercising great restraint and using the "Backspace" key quite a bit when I referred to QB POS. I don't know anyone who likes it. Nasty, extractive company. I use and love the QB accounting software, but I still want to find an alternative just because I hate the company so much! Is that crazy enough for you?

Vend looks very promising as part of an end-to-end solution if you have a Brick and Mortar store. I'll be evaluating them in January.

Let me know if you find out anything interesting.
chrism
25 Nov 2015
@ScarfKing We have an accounting firm too which I think is the biggest reason we used Quickbooks PoS and why we use it for our book keeping. We're thinking about looking into Xero more (which actually integrates really well with Vend from what I hear). From what I've heard around hte office, even Point of Sale used to be pretty alright until they started doing updates. Thanks for mentioning Vend, it looks pretty promising and I'm going to mention it to my boss once she's back in the office. I made a sales call and it seems to be everything we need and want (however I'm weary of trusting sales calls because they will promise the sun if asked).

Ecomdash actually fills all the holes we were missing with Sellbrite and it's looking like the more likely candidate at this point. The interface just seems a bit bulky and slow with the data queries. Their support has also been extremely proactive with fixing any issues we're having on our demo so thank you a lot for that recommendation.

Regarding the meaningful cost tracking statement you made - I brought up your post to an accountant in the office who helps out with sales tax and book keeping for the e-commerce business we have. She agreed with what you said about putting all of our sales into the books. However her first question was about sales orders and general costs. I imagine that if we start a move towards a system more like the one you suggested, it's going to be a relatively rugged and patched system for tracking costs. Once we get to that point, I'll start doing some research into it and get back to you if we come up with anything.
ScarfKing
Ecomdash Strengths and limitations
30 Nov 2015
@chrism

A couple of caveats about Ecomdash.

They are not really a listing software. That's a feature they've been upgrading for the last year or so, but they cannot list variants, so if your products vary by size or color, they can only track your inventory (which they do extremely well) and they have some work-arounds where they can export your products in an Amazon-ready format, which you can copy and then paste to Amazon to upload. A work-saver if you are on AZ.com and .uk, but you'll still be listing all your other platforms separately. If they provided stock export formats for the other marketplaces, it would go a long way toward solving the problem.

I made a cost benefit decision and decided that for the $2500/year I would save over the runner up (SureDone, which nonplussed me in other ways, too) I was better off with Ecomdash's weaknesses for the time being. Ultimately, I need a real listing tool, and I will probably address that next year. I am hoping Ecomdash will step up in that direction.

The only other issue is that if you have lots of products, you can only sync them 250 at a time, which is a pain in the neck. And they do not autosync everything, only products that you have sold, returned etc.

Strengths:
Great Customer Service
Flexibility with uploads and downloads
Sync function works well
Quick to address problems
Integrates with Vend (though I am always suspicious of integrations I haven't tried yet)
They deliver what they say they will, on time or ahead of schedule
Seem to be genuinely nice people who care about your success.

Hope that's helpful.

Stuart
chrism
1 Dec 2015
@ScarfKing Thankyou very much for the information. The biggest problem we're having with Ecomdash right now are the variations, however support has provided us with a work around (which is not ideal but I suppose not everything can be). I've noticed the same thing about support, they are very friendly and at least act like they want to do everything they can to help.
ScarfKing
1 Dec 2015
@chrism They're a good company. Like all of these companies, they are young and their documentation has not caught up with their development, so there are a lot of things the user has to learn by trial and error, which can be frustrating. This is offset by their customer service, but since I'm 4 time zones away, that's only available half the day. Still, it's superior to everything else I've encountered.

They said that listing variations is in their future plans, but they didn't say when. I will say that they don't make vague promises or string you along. If they really do get the variation listing thing set up, they will have a big competitive advantage over their rivals.

What work-around did Ecomdash support suggest for your variations? I suggested they might come up with a BigCommerce export template, as they have with Amazon, but they haven't jumped in to do that. As a fellow BC user you might make that suggestion, too.

Good luck!
chrism
1 Dec 2015
@ScarfKing The support representative that I was talking to told me to create the listing on BigCommerce and then import the listings once again. Not a geat work around but a work around none the less.
Supplier
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Veeqo
Kudos: 91
7 Jan 2016
@chrism based on your requirements you may want to try StitchLabs.
Hope it helps.
ScarfKing
7 Jan 2016
@prince543

I used StitchLabs for some time. It's not a listing software. My feelings were that it did the same thing Ecomdash does at 3 times the price, though it has a nicer-looking UI. It was super-easy to set up (literally minutes) and did the job, but for me, it has all the weaknesses that Ecomdash does, but is more expensive.

Others may feel differently.

World First
Seller Dynamics
ReplyManager
Sellware